Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drive Train Whining between 60 - 70 MPH
My 2015 Nissan Titan 4WD extended cab has a "Drive Train Whining" issue between 60 - 70 MPH about 2,000 RPM during positive torque (meaning power on) since new. Noise is more pronounced at 64 MPH. It sounds like a worn U-joint. Returned to dealer with 40 miles on truck, technician acknowledge the issue indicating they would further investigate issue at first 5,000 mile and maybe drive another Titan to see if this is an inherent issue with 2015 Titan & contact Nissan.
At 5,000 mile servicing, another tech drove truck & acknowledge issue. Ordered & replaced the drive shaft. Did not fix the problem. Waiting for the dealership to receive a new Titan to see if it might have the issue.
This is my third Titan, the first two where smooth on open road with no drive train noise.
I have done some troubleshooting myself by locking in lower gears & changing RPM. Only area with the noise is in normal drive as indicated above. My best guess is that the rear end is causing issue.
Question: Anyone heard of this issue or maybe have ideas to help resolve this issue. Seems my local dealership and myself are at dead end baring systemmatic component change out to correct issue. Drive shaft changed & some rear-end work - no impact.
Tks much, erv
Edit/Delete Message

· Registered
1,818 Posts
Pinion gear improperly adjusted where it meets the ring gear. Take it back and tell them fix it. If you go too long the gears will wear in and the noise won't go away unless you replace the gears. If they offer you a new axle take it seeing as I have yet to hear of a dealership that actually knows how to properly adjust a differential outside of changing the fluid.

Reactions: LUBECAKES and erv

· Registered
258 Posts
When I picked up my titan it had 42 Kilometers on it and I heard the rearend whine and it was replaced at 2000 Kilometers with a new rearend, took a road trip I'm now at 4200 Kilometers and the new rearend is whining. it will go in monday to the dealer to have a listen
if they say "it's normal" it is NOT normal for a brand new truck to have a rear end whine, they can replace it til it's fixed thats what the warranty is for
Don

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks much folks, appreciate your input. Since truck has been in the shop since Dec 2, plan to meet with Service Manager Monday to review problem to include what has been done & future plan to correct issue. Again your input very helpful. TKS, erv

· Registered
258 Posts
Happy new year
well took the truck to the mechanic on monday the 21st and we went for a ride, we agreed there was a noise ( no surprise) told him I would call in the new year cause i wanted the truck for the holidays. monday I will phone and see whats up.
I will keep the group informed
Don

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My update. Long story short, local dealer agreed to change complete axle (after changing gears & drive shaft) and the tech & myself drove another customer's truck to compare. The sound in my truck was somewhat less compared with original after changing axle - sound is still there but I was surprised to learn the others customer truck sound just like mine at the same speed & condition. Local dealer has given up trying to fix this issue. The way I see it I have three options: 1) live with it 2) Buy back program which I understand is a pain 3) trade in for new truck which will cost me thousands. Right now, I'm going with option 1. It would appear to me that the Nissan Titan has an engineering design problem. My old Titan's(one two wheel drive, other 4 wheel drive) did not have any kind of noise issues.

And again thanks to all for your input because I'm not sure the axle would have been changed if not for your input. I have lost confidence in Nissan. Plan to write a letter to Nissan Customer Service identifying this issue.

Good luck with your issue Don!

erv

· Premium Member
4,223 Posts
My update. Long story short, local dealer agreed to change complete axle (after changing gears & drive shaft) and the tech & myself drove another customer's truck to compare. The sound in my truck was somewhat less compared with original after changing axle - sound is still there but I was surprised to learn the others customer truck sound just like mine at the same speed & condition. Local dealer has given up trying to fix this issue. The way I see it I have three options: 1) live with it 2) Buy back program which I understand is a pain 3) trade in for new truck which will cost me thousands. Right now, I'm going with option 1. It would appear to me that the Nissan Titan has an engineering design problem. My old Titan's(one two wheel drive, other 4 wheel drive) did not have any kind of noise issues.

And again thanks to all for your input because I'm not sure the axle would have been changed if not for your input. I have lost confidence in Nissan. Plan to write a letter to Nissan Customer Service identifying this issue.

Good luck with your issue Don!

erv
Don't waste your time, they will just shred it. You have a 5/60 warranty on the drive train so I'm not sure why you are so concerned about a little whine at a certain speed.

Reactions: erv

· Registered
210 Posts
Did they tell you what they found when they opened the pumpkin?

My money is they found lots of metal shavings. If so, it's likely the spider gears breaking down. I'm about the have to go get my 4th axle for the same problem. And I'm not the least bit confident the 4th axle is going to fix anything.

· Registered
2,437 Posts
Your problem, like a lot of m26 axles, is either pinion depth or excessive backlash. These axles are simply thrown together. The pinion gears all have the same generic shim on them as opposed to being checked, shimmed, and checked again like a real axle. Pinion preload is set by tightening the pinion nut to 200 ft lbs....without checking the rotational load on the bearings themselves.
Don't be surprised if they failed to set the carrier bearing preload properly either. That will lead to excessive backlash once the bearings break in.
I would run it 5000 miles and pop the cover for some measurements. These axles are extremely easy to set up. With a dial indicator, marking compound, and some know how, you can easily set the lash to spec later.

Reactions: MikeClark and erv

· Registered
4,258 Posts
To add to all of this, If the ring and pinion has been set to each other (ie driving for 5,000 miles), they set a wear pattern in them. If you adjust the gears after the wear pattern has been set in, then the gears could wear out prematurely.

· Registered
2,437 Posts
To add to all of this, If the ring and pinion has been set to each other (ie driving for 5,000 miles), they set a wear pattern in them. If you adjust the gears after the wear pattern has been set in, then the gears could wear out prematurely.
To subtract from that, I'm going to say that this is absolute nonsense!

The gears will wear into each other again once you get them set right. The amount of "wear" that happens when two gears run together is so minor that you could do this several times with no ill effects.
I rebuilt my axle with used gears and new bearings 16,000 miles ago and it's been perfect since.

It's far more important to have the backlash, pinion depth, and pre-loads set right.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
To subtract from that, I'm going to say that this is absolute nonsense!

The gears will wear into each other again once you get them set right. The amount of "wear" that happens when two gears run together is so minor that you could do this several times with no ill effects.
I rebuilt my axle with used gears and new bearings 16,000 miles ago and it's been perfect since.

It's far more important to have the backlash, pinion depth, and pre-loads set right.
What LUBECAKES said. 5000 miles is not enough to set a bad wear pattern. FWIW 185k on my original rear diff with gears that have been whining for at least what seems to be 80k miles now and no failure. I tow an 8000lb travel trailer. The whining is not spider gears and it can be freaking annoying but it shouldn't mean your diff is close to grenading or failing.

Reactions: LUBECAKES

· Registered
9,550 Posts
Your problem, like a lot of m26 axles, is either pinion depth or excessive backlash. These axles are simply thrown together. The pinion gears all have the same generic shim on them as opposed to being checked, shimmed, and checked again like a real axle. Pinion preload is set by tightening the pinion nut to 200 ft lbs....without checking the rotational load on the bearings themselves.
Don't be surprised if they failed to set the carrier bearing preload properly either. That will lead to excessive backlash once the bearings break in.
I would run it 5000 miles and pop the cover for some measurements. These axles are extremely easy to set up. With a dial indicator, marking compound, and some know how, you can easily set the lash to spec later.
English muthafukka...do you speak it?

This is why I don't touch drive train...

· Registered
2,437 Posts
English muthafukka...do you speak it?

This is why I don't touch drive train...
Lol, these axles are easier than they seem. I did a little poking around on you tube before I opened mine up.

I didn't do things exactly textbook perfect, but my axle will last.

Reactions: erv and MikeClark

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: Over Holiday, made delivery of walnut logs to saw mill pulling trailer, elected to use 4w drive high on loose gravel road over hill, appears truck shifted into 4w Low impacting steering of truck even though switch in High. My limited troubleshooting appears that truck only shifts into 4w low regardless of switch selection. Also, only way to get out of 4 wheel drive is to backup truck. Also, during troubleshooting, 4w drive locked up in 4w drive twice. Finally got back into 2w drive. Additional info, after the axle was changed, I now have a thump noise when stopping at a red light, sounds & feels like a shift in load hitting back of truck bed. Working with Nissan, hope get back on the road soon, I have better things to do. Wish I had my old 2008 Titian 4w drive back - great truck!

· Registered
210 Posts
Lol, these axles are easier than they seem. I did a little poking around on you tube before I opened mine up.

I didn't do things exactly textbook perfect, but my axle will last.
Lube, have you had any problems with an abnormal amount of metal shavings in your oil? I've been plagued by it with the first two axles Nissan has put on my truck. And, I suspect, this third axle is also going to be full of metal when I have to take it in shortly.

· Registered
2,437 Posts
Lube, have you had any problems with an abnormal amount of metal shavings in your oil? I've been plagued by it with the first two axles Nissan has put on my truck. And, I suspect, this third axle is also going to be full of metal when I have to take it in shortly.
Not yet.....lol.
I don't have the towing pkg, so mine should be slightly more reliable anyway.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
If it is a new axle you will find shavings, it is everything getting seated. I know in my 2005 the owners manual even gave directions on break in before towing and such. Gears make metal on metal contact, there will be some wear and metal. The problems occur when you find metal chunks in the fluid.

This issue sounds like the axle requires adjustment after it has broken in. The metal is from the break in. Problem is, I have yet to see a dealership with competent mechanic that knows anything about differential, hence they just keep throwing whole axle assemblies at the truck under warranty hoping it will go away. If the 3rd axle does it, take it to a place that specializes in differentials and have them take a look. Yeah, you'll have to pay for it, but at least if it is simply an adjustment you will get it fixed and be problem free.

Reactions: LUBECAKES

· Registered
210 Posts
If it is a new axle you will find shavings, it is everything getting seated. I know in my 2005 the owners manual even gave directions on break in before towing and such. Gears make metal on metal contact, there will be some wear and metal. The problems occur when you find metal chunks in the fluid.

This issue sounds like the axle requires adjustment after it has broken in. The metal is from the break in. Problem is, I have yet to see a dealership with competent mechanic that knows anything about differential, hence they just keep throwing whole axle assemblies at the truck under warranty hoping it will go away. If the 3rd axle does it, take it to a place that specializes in differentials and have them take a look. Yeah, you'll have to pay for it, but at least if it is simply an adjustment you will get it fixed and be problem free.
According to the dealership, the amount of metal in the oil was abnormal. I saw pictures from the first axle and it was bad. There was a layer of thick metal sludge at the bottom of the collection pan. I don't know how bad the second axle was, but the problem was the same. I'm on the third axle now.

I talked to the general manager of the dealership and he told me they are not allowed to adjust the differential, and doing so voids the warranty. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, I'm not sure how the problem is supposed to get fixed if Nissan won't allow anyone to touch the axle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.