Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Titan at the dealership three times now because of static on all stations on the radio. The stations come in just fine with my other vehicle. The first go around, they updated the radio firmware. The second time around they installed a new radio, thankfully I received another 6 months of Sirius with this fix because the static still persisted. It goes back in Monday for a third time for the same issue. Has anyone else had this problem with the Titan radio?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 pro4x and it does the same thing. Granted I only listen to the radio once in a blue moon for local sports, I just chalked it up to a crappy antenna. I figured if it bothered me that bad I would buy a high quality antenna. Definitely keep me posted on the outcome because I'm due for my oil change next month and if this correctable I will get mine fixed as well.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Likely the antenna or possibly a bad ground.

Reactions: Funky4me

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's Thursday and it has been in at the dealer since Monday. They called to tell me that they cannot find anything wrong with it and to contact Nissan consumer affairs. Has any dealt with them in the past? What am I to expect?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Truck is back at the dealer for the 4th time. Three new radio's, a new antenna mast, antenna cable and still static. Working with Nissan consumer affairs. Not sure what help they will offer. On another note, the last time the truck was in I asked them to look at a "cluck" coming from the rear when you go from D to R. When I picked the truck up it had a brand new rear end and axle. I swear this thing has been in the shop more than I have had it on the road.:mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just received a call from Nissan Consumer Affairs. They basically told me to go pound sand. They said that they have already replaced the radio, 3 times, the antenna and the cable. The dealer cannot find the issue and that I will need to live with it. What are my options for recourse? Who would I speak to next? I refuse to live with static on the radio on a vehicle I paid over $40K for. Is there another department above Consumer Affairs?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Given all the elements of the system that have been replaced, one thing I can think of that could cause the problem is a bad chassis ground at the antenna mount. I have never tried to access the mount location so I can't speak to how difficult that is. Should there be stray paint (body or primer) on the underside of the fender where the antenna mounts that could result in the antenna not being properly connected to the fender (insulated if you will). The sheet metal body of the truck serves as a ground plane for the antenna, if the antenna mounting hardware is not in good contact with the sheet metal this 'disturbs' the field of the antenna which distorts the ability of the antenna to receive signals ( weak signals to the radio equals static in the reception).

I am assuming when the dealer tried a new antenna and lead-in cable, they changed the mount on the fender. If they just tried a new mast and lead-in cable, but left the mount intact, the mount could cause the problem (poor internal connection between antenna mast post and cable connection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts