Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The AutoGuide.com 2016 Truck of the Year Award recipient is the tough Nissan Titan XD.

The all-new pickup impressed the AutoGuide.com editors with its robust towing capabilities, clever features and strong diesel engine.

'The new Nissan Titan XD offers a comfortable, quiet ride and more confidence than what you’ll find in today’s half-ton pickup market,' said Stephen Elmer, AutoGuide.com’s resident Truck Expert. 'For the customer who is focused on towing, the Titan XD will deliver, while a number of handy features like the new trailer light check system make the truck a great working companion.'

Powered by a 5.0-liter Cummins turbo-diesel V8 good for 310 horsepower and a brawny 555 pound-feet of torque, the Titan XD hits a trucking sweet spot by offering heavy-duty confidence without sacrificing the ease-of-use and comfort of a half-ton truck. Combined with a big helping of smart features tailored for real truck customers, the Titan XD proves that it is not afraid of an honest day’s work.

The Nissan Titan XD beat out the 2016 Toyota Tacoma and GMC Canyon Diesel for top honors. Congratulations to the team at Nissan.

Read more about the 2016 Nissan Titan XD Wins AutoGuide.com Truck of the Year Award at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
950 Posts
That is a joke...... Right?

Reactions: MSrockyblue

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
That is a joke...... Right?
when they compare it to 2 compact? trucks i get it. But its diesel nissan with a cummins. of course its gonna win the prize.:serious:

·
Registered
70 Posts
It was a much different story in Car and Drivers Truck of the Year award. Just my opinion, but, I think I trust Car and Driver more than AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The 2nd generation part of this site should be changed to XD bashers.

After driving it I actually like it. It is what it is and that is a diesel option for gas trucks so you don't beat down the gas engine. It's not the best looking truck but it's still not got a pig snout like the tundra. Drives great, and the price will fall. People are crying on here over the price. Then don't buy a truck that just came out. For the bashers move on to your ford. Now that's an over price piece of aluminum if you ask me. And wait until that warranty runs out in that Eco boost. You better sell it or trade it quick. I wouldn't buy a used Eco boost truck with out a crazy good warranty. May beat the Titans hands down off the line and what not but after 200k miles. I will pull it to the shop for you with my proven Titan.

Go ahead Bash my response lady's and I guess a few gentlemen but remember what forum your reading....

·
Registered
14,137 Posts

After driving it I actually like it. It is what it is and that is a diesel option for gas trucks so you don't beat down the gas engine. It's not the best looking truck but it's still not got a pig snout like the tundra. Drives great, and the price will fall. People are crying on here over the price. Then don't buy a truck that just came out. For the bashers move on to your ford. Now that's an over price piece of aluminum if you ask me. And wait until that warranty runs out in that Eco boost. You better sell it or trade it quick. I wouldn't buy a used Eco boost truck with out a crazy good warranty. May beat the Titans hands down off the line and what not but after 200k miles. I will pull it to the shop for you with my proven Titan.

Go ahead Bash my response lady's and I guess a few gentlemen but remember what forum your reading....
i can't wait to drive one

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think the message is more to Nissan than to you honestly. The truck fell short. It's a disappointment on many levels. Agreed that the bashing is getting kinda old but I really hope Nissan is taking note and has made some aesthetic and power changes in the gasser. If people offer praise to a suboptimal product then the folks creating the product may not realize their product needs improvement. If, however, you feel it was a great redesign then that's good for you.
I honestly am unimpressed and hope for more from the gasser.

And yes, if a truck breaks, I trade it in. No sense in spending money on a truck that requires big investments to keep it running.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Every forum since Mr. Gore invented the internet has bashed the next gen model of whatever, so don't get your panties in a bunch over the hate. In 6 months there will be plenty of people on your side to pile love on the XD. With that said, the XD doesn't move the needle on any level. Regarding your point on price, $50-60k+ is fine for a diesel with capabilities, but the XD is a porker, at best equals the current crop of 1/2 tow capabilities, and has middling mileage. Anyone can convince themselves that this tweener truck makes sense to them, but even a lady or a gentleman can see that a true 3/4 ton is a better value, dollar for dollar.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If I only had to pick from the 3, I like the Tacoma for that nifty self unsticking feature. I'm not sure how well it actually works, but it's a interesting concept. Although, I hope Jada and Spike boycotted these awards for lack of diversity. Lol

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
You can't call the XD a flop until the sales numbers come out...

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
You can't call the XD a flop until the sales numbers come out...
The whole roll out is being directed by French management: typically not very good at marketing despite some pretty killer products over the years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What I fail to understand is how a unreleased truck can be named "Truck of the Year"? On paper it sounds great but how does anyone know until they start to use it for its intended purposes?. If it is going to be prone to an issue or concern like the first gen Titan's with differentials and manifolds it should not be awarded this until proven worthy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think most of the xd bashers are just people that had really high expectations with this new truck. Nissan had what 11 years to engineer and build a new truck? The truck is an ok truck but their is no wow factor with it. It should have blown all the other new trucks out of the water but it falls short. It's suppose to be comparable with 3/4 ton trucks but is only comparable to the 1/2tons. Nissan needed to put out something amazing to regain sales and I believe they failed. The new xd will be a good reliable truck but so are the other trucks out there. Why would someone want to buy the xd?maybe just to be different? I know personally I probably won't be buying one when I sell my titan. I feel this truck is the beginning of the end for the titans.

·
Registered
140 Posts
^^^end of the XD perhaps, but the non-XD is going to pull you right back in...wait for it.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
^^^end of the XD perhaps, but the non-XD is going to pull you right back in...wait for it.
Just down the road from you, Bro. Let hope the "Non XD" pulls me back. Because right now, I'm looking at Tundra's!

Reactions: LUBECAKES

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Haven't driven one, but I think the XDs are sharp looking trucks. The numbers are not overly impressive, but I have no doubt that it would do anything I would ever need it to do. What was everyone expecting out of this truck? My current Titan is an 05 and I really like it, but it doesn't hold a candle to the new XD. I suppose I just don't get it. I was hoping MSRP would be a little lower, but perhaps there will be lots of incentives rolling out?

·
Registered
140 Posts
What was everyone expecting out of this truck?
For me a big part of it is the tow rating, its a huge let down. For a diesel powered truck marketed in the middle I was expecting ratings between the 12,000 lbs 1/2 ton and 18,000+ 3/4 ton market, so maybe 15,000 lbs? Then you pile on a premium price point and the concept makes no sense to me; if you don't tow then why get the XD...and if you do tow the XD is too limited. Why drive a big, heavy truck and spend $55k on it and then be limited to towing the same toy hauler that your neighbor can tow with his F150? And he easily paid $10k less! This is subjective but its not an attractive truck either, the proportions are off with that huge Beluga Whale front clip. I really think about my vehicle purchases, particularly when it comes to a truck and I just can't make a case for buying the XD no matter what my intended use was.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
For me a big part of it is the tow rating, its a huge let down. For a diesel powered truck marketed in the middle I was expecting ratings between the 12,000 lbs 1/2 ton and 18,000+ 3/4 ton market, so maybe 15,000 lbs? Then you pile on a premium price point and the concept makes no sense to me; if you don't tow then why get the XD...and if you do tow the XD is too limited. Why drive a big, heavy truck and spend $55k on it and then be limited to towing the same toy hauler that your neighbor can tow with his F150? And he easily paid $10k less! This is subjective but its not an attractive truck either, the proportions are off with that huge Beluga Whale front clip. I really think about my vehicle purchases, particularly when it comes to a truck and I just can't make a case for buying the XD no matter what my intended use was.
Im sorry, but i dont see the 3/4 ton market being at 18,000+ lbs. On ford.com, it says the f-250 and f-350 SRW trucks (which is the same as the XD) is only rated at 14,000 lbs, and the 2015 Chevy 2500 being rated for 14,500lbs. So to be honest, a half ton truck with 12,300lbs of towing is not too far off. Especially when the 1st gen titan was rated for 9,400lbs (with the Big Tow option) is a 2900lbs jump. My 7.3 Powerstroke 1 ton dually is only able to tow 12,500 lbs...

Actual towing specs from Ford.com:

And if you really think about your vehicle purchases, you would be thinking long term; longevity, resale value, how much are parts going to cost/replace (think of that expensive aluminum body on the F-150)? I think the XD will out-do the F-150 in all 3 categories there.

The F-150 Platinum with the Eco-Boost is MSRP $56,896 (as per Ford's website). The XD Platinum Reserve is MSRP $60,520. (as per Nissan's website) But sure Ford will probably make you a deal on theyre F150, as where it seems nissan is being a little stingy, but im sure once the non-XD model comes out, and they sell out of '15 model Titans, they will start dropping in price.

I also see the truck weighing a lot more coming into advantage when towing, a heavier truck means a more stable ride when pulling a heavy trailer, as its harder for the trailer to over-power the truck. Yeah, it might suffer in MPG a little, but when towing a big heavy trailer, i would rather have control and stability rather than .5mpg.
Just my .02...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Im sorry, but i dont see the 3/4 ton market being at 18,000+ lbs. On ford.com, it says the f-250 and f-350 SRW trucks (which is the same as the XD) is only rated at 14,000 lbs, and the 2015 Chevy 2500 being rated for 14,500lbs. So to be honest, a half ton truck with 12,300lbs of towing is not too far off. Especially when the 1st gen titan was rated for 9,400lbs (with the Big Tow option) is a 2900lbs jump. My 7.3 Powerstroke 1 ton dually is only able to tow 12,500 lbs...

Actual towing specs from Ford.com:

And if you really think about your vehicle purchases, you would be thinking long term; longevity, resale value, how much are parts going to cost/replace (think of that expensive aluminum body on the F-150)? I think the XD will out-do the F-150 in all 3 categories there.

The F-150 Platinum with the Eco-Boost is MSRP $56,896 (as per Ford's website). The XD Platinum Reserve is MSRP $60,520. (as per Nissan's website) But sure Ford will probably make you a deal on theyre F150, as where it seems nissan is being a little stingy, but im sure once the non-XD model comes out, and they sell out of '15 model Titans, they will start dropping in price.

I also see the truck weighing a lot more coming into advantage when towing, a heavier truck means a more stable ride when pulling a heavy trailer, as its harder for the trailer to over-power the truck. Yeah, it might suffer in MPG a little, but when towing a big heavy trailer, i would rather have control and stability rather than .5mpg.
Just my .02...
Gooseneck towing is over 15k for a crew cab 4x4 250, with around 3k payload, and more for a 2wd. And those numbers don't dwindle down by adding leather seats and DVD players. A loaded XD is down about 4k in towing, and that's assuming you can find a perfectly balanced trailer that doesn't max out the payload before the overall tow rating is maxed out. And as far as the longevity goes, no one knows how long these things will last. Do a quick search and you'll already see XD owners that are having issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts