Nissan Titan Forum banner

281 - 300 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It doesn't need a pig snout to accommodate that.
Well you can't stuff intercoolers, tranny coolers radiators and other items in the tailgate. That is why all the Big 3 HD diesels have huge grills as well.

·
Super Moderator
159,807 Posts
It doesn't need a pig snout to accommodate that.
Agreed, at least in the sense of all of that stuff requiring the overhang the Titan has. There's a lot of stuff from the firewall forward, but it doesn't justify the wheel placement that creates that overhang.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
I hope nissan doesn't use those photo chops.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I hope nissan doesn't use those photo chops.
Me too, or they owe me money! Moo ha ha ha!

The new ram and tundra have smaller headlights and grilles, seems like they get "IT", whatever "IT" is.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Me too, or they owe me money! Moo ha ha ha!

The new ram and tundra have smaller headlights and grilles, seems like they get "IT", whatever "IT" is.
lulz.

where nisssan went wrong was letting their lead designer admit they only had a couple months between clay and building the truck. or whatever it was. lmao seriously they've had a decade to do this. and then a couple years after dodge and nissan split on the joint titan project.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The Ram HDs have a large grill as does every other HD that offers a diesel. Ford and GM both have large headlights. The Tundra doesn't offer a diesel and looked like a marshmallow until they put some hard creases in the sheetmetal for the 2014 refresh.

FWIW there is a photshop out there of the Tundra that looks far more pig like.

If you look at the current Titan and the XD side by side you can see the overhang isn't that dramatic. It looks like more because the hoodline is flatter, taller and longer. Looking at the engine bay photos, the radiator is BIG and needed that space to give it airflow. The Cummins is a tight fit, it isn't like there is some giant gap from the back of the bumper to the radiator.

For the non XD Titan I see them going more sporty as the engine options allow more flexibility and they have stated that it will use a different frame. If it was going to be a clone of the XD, they would have shown it by now.

Nissan didn't have 10 years to work on the XD BTW. IIRC the deal with Cummins to use the 5.0L came about close to 1.5 years ago. In 2010 Nissan was going to have Chrysler build the Titan and they were going to add unique styling and features to it, but Chrysler crashed and they bailed. So that left Nissan 3-4 years to ground up redesign the Titan from scratch essentially.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
The Ram HDs have a large grill as does every other HD that offers a diesel. Ford and GM both have large headlights. The Tundra doesn't offer a diesel and looked like a marshmallow until they put some hard creases in the sheetmetal for the 2014 refresh.
Yeah, but they aren't ugly like the new Nissan.

FWIW there is a photshop out there of the Tundra that looks far more pig like.
Yes there is. 2007-2013 Tundra. While not the greatest looking Tundra it still looks better than the new Titan and Toyota changed it for the better in 2014.

If you look at the current Titan and the XD side by side you can see the overhang isn't that dramatic. It looks like more because the hoodline is flatter, taller and longer. Looking at the engine bay photos, the radiator is BIG and needed that space to give it airflow. The Cummins is a tight fit, it isn't like there is some giant gap from the back of the bumper to the radiator.
Sounds like someone at Nissan failed at good design work. Dodge doesn't have the ugly issue fitting the cummins in it's truck.

For the non XD Titan I see them going more sporty as the engine options allow more flexibility and they have stated that it will use a different frame. If it was going to be a clone of the XD, they would have shown it by now.
It will be clone of the XD minus the stupid badge on the side. It only makes sense from a manufacturing/parts inventory standpoint.

Nissan didn't have 10 years to work on the XD BTW. IIRC the deal with Cummins to use the 5.0L came about close to 1.5 years ago. In 2010 Nissan was going to have Chrysler build the Titan and they were going to add unique styling and features to it, but Chrysler crashed and they bailed. So that left Nissan 3-4 years to ground up redesign the Titan from scratch essentially.
Nissan could have been working on a new design prior to the almost Dodge/Nissan relationship.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yeah, but they aren't ugly like the new Nissan.

Yes there is. 2007-2013 Tundra. While not the greatest looking Tundra it still looks better than the new Titan and Toyota changed it for the better in 2014.

Sounds like someone at Nissan failed at good design work. Dodge doesn't have the ugly issue fitting the cummins in it's truck.

It will be clone of the XD minus the stupid badge on the side. It only makes sense from a manufacturing/parts inventory standpoint.

Nissan could have been working on a new design prior to the almost Dodge/Nissan relationship.
I think you need to go reread reviews of how the current SD and Chevy front end designs were received. Also called ugly.

Toyota added a few creases in the sheetmetal on the fenders. The cab is still way too balloonish. Hardly a giant restyle.

Dodge doesn't have a V8 Cummins in their 1500. The inline 6 is in their HDs which have a different front fascia and taller hood from the 1500.

If it were a clone and they were looking to cut costs, they wouldn't be making it on a different frame, with a different transmission and go out of their way to say it isn't like the XD. If it was just badges, they could have debuted it as a mock up right next to the XD as per your opinion the only difference would be the powertrain.

If they were going to partner with Chrysler, why would they work on a ground up redesign in house? They were going to be using much of what was the Ram with speculation it even included the Hemi. When the deal fell through Nissan was quiet for a bit, then came out and said they were going to begin designing the next Titan in house and it was going to be a few years away.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Here's another article with comments and more nails getting hammered in the coffin...

2016 Nissan Titan: This Is It

https://autos.yahoo.com/photos/2016-nissan-titan-xd-pickup-first-look-slideshow/
I think some of you need to Google the first imprssions of the 2004 Titan.

Add in the ones posting that they hate it just because it isn't one of the Big 3. I still get people that make comments on my truck like it is less capable than a Big 3 1/2 ton.

Ford haters hate all Fords, GM haters hate all GMs....... Ford gets killed on every redesign for not changing their fender panels from the doors back yet they still sell just fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The new Titan don't look any uglier then the Tundra, Toyota ruined that truck when they tried to give it an edger look, but only did the front and rear clips and didn't take time to change the rounded cab shape, its two forms that don't fit together. Then you have the Silverado which is basically a box on wheels, no design in that truck other then squares. I've actually heard some positive things on the new Titan even from the big three guys at work.
I agree.

The other way to look at it is, these ugly design cues we're noticing work in their favor to create a design more unique to their brand and not just conforming to what we're used to, so it works for them, not for us, but the image is ingrained in our heads.

·
Super Moderator
34,636 Posts
I agree.

The other way to look at it is, these ugly design cues we're noticing work in their favor to create a design more unique to their brand and not just conforming to what we're used to, so it works for them, not for us, but the image is ingrained in our heads.
What has been seen cannot be unseen.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
I'm digging it more I look at it. Every diesel hd has that same style hood and big bulky get outta my way front end. It's there for a reason. It's a diesel. Takes room to hold all of that. A diesel to me is suppose to have that big front end. Just looks heavy duty an all. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If some of you think the XD is ugly, go see what Ram has done with the 1500 Laramie Limited. Now that is a snout!! The Rampage is no looker either.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
So those Ram models with a protruding chin of a bumper (more overhang than the XD) and a giant protruding grill of either chrome or black plastic with what looks like 6"+ tall letters on the grill and even bigger letters on the tailgate stating RAM looks great? LMAO! FWIW if you square off the dropped "big rig" fenders and level them with the hood on the HD RAM, you essentially have the same front profile as the XD. Yet I am sure if nissan did the dropped fenders they be accused of copying RAM and the Super Duty.......

To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
So one guy called it the "Ford Ramerado"... Muhahahahaha As for us seeing it and not unseeing it, my eyes are still burning. I mean wow really, this is all they could come up with??? I'm not too worried about the grille because there's always aftermarket. I personally like color grilles with different insert options. But what's with the front door droop wanabe Ford? What's with the plastic fender flares with the cut outs on top. WHY WHY WHY cut out the rear fender flare for the gas fill up. I'm all for innovation but at first glance this looks like a turd with a Diesel and we all know what turds smell like. And I don't know about anyone else but wouldn't you like to see a sport package where you can get the front bumper, rear bumper, grille, side mirrors and door handle painted to match the truck? Other than Toyota the others (Big 3) offer some variation of this. And I like Fords tailgate with the step as I get older that's a great set up. I'm sure they patented it but come out with something. Or at least patent infringe and pay the price. Chevy came up with ugly steps in their rear bumper urghhhh. What about push button key fob release for tail gate. This is now patented by Ford. Not that it's a great I gotta have it feature, but at least there innovating. What is Nissan doing? Waiting 10 years and coming out with this TURD? What's sad is most people having a Titan and coming to this forum are Titan people and would like to see it compete with the big 3 and all we're doing is ragging on it. Somebody from Nissan should be reading these forums and taking notes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ha, the comments section...the only thing revealing about the comments section (of any corner of the internet) is that, in general, people revel in being negative *** hats about everything. Anonymity has a remarkable way of turning otherwise pleasant people into complete douche bags.

281 - 300 of 317 Posts