Nissan Titan Forum banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Maybe with a short block it can be inspected where they aren’t going to look inside the long block and your replacement engine has the same oil squirter issue. Good luck to you on this.

Clint

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with a simple tick, depending of course on the severity of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on this? I'm living in Quebec and I'm going to finish the paper for a 2018 sl midnight on Friday. I spoke with someone of my neighborhood yestarday about his 2017 Titan Pro4x and he told me he just get the motor replaced in December, 29 000km on it... He was not happy because he had to fight to have to truck serviced (Nissan dealer denied the claim but nissan canada forced them to service). Anyway, it seems these motor are crap, anyone have good story to tell? I can still cancel my purchase.

Thanks
Taking it in today - see what they say.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any update on this? I'm living in Quebec and I'm going to finish the paper for a 2018 sl midnight on Friday. I spoke with someone of my neighborhood yestarday about his 2017 Titan Pro4x and he told me he just get the motor replaced in December, 29 000km on it... He was not happy because he had to fight to have to truck serviced (Nissan dealer denied the claim but nissan canada forced them to service). Anyway, it seems these motor are crap, anyone have good story to tell? I can still cancel my purchase.

Thanks
No news here - doesn't seem to do it all the time - and of course the day I took it in they couldn't hear a noise - still have lots of warranty left so a wait and see. On a different note, anybody have an issue with truck going into some kind of safe mode after idling awhile? Truck keeps running, every light on the dash comes on but it will not move. Shut it off, wait 10 or 15 minutes and start it up and good to go except engine light is on - light stays on a couple of days and goes out. Dealer says no codes and not sure what would cause it. Has happened 3 times - once with original engine, twice with new one. Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thrilled to find this thread. I bought a Titan XD Platinum Reserve in 2017, at roughly 10,000 miles a knock from the drivers wheel well started. As with others the knock would come and go, so when I'd bring it to the dealership it was like the noise would vanish when the service manager would come out to listen. I left with tail tucked and pissed that I had a $60k truck with a ridiculous knock when I'd pull up to stop signs and parking ramp ticket booths. THEN I realized if I left the truck in drive with the Emergency brake on the knock was unmistakeable. After that they were told to do a power balance test and cylinder 7 had a problem. after scoping the inside of the cylinder the sleeve was scoring. Nissan approved a short block and 30 days later I got my truck back. Fast forward to 10k miles later same story, knock from drivers side wheel well. I was an expert in the noise now and went fairly crazy so Nissan approved a long block this time. I had enough with the Titan but still a Nissan fan as I had 11 previous Nissans from Maximas to Muranos and 4 other Titans. Arbitration bought the truck back from me and if I was inclined to stay with them they gave me employee pricing on anything i wanted to purchase. SO, FOOLISH me figures the 2019 Nissan Armada Platinum Reserve couldn't possibly have the same ECU and 5.6 as the Titan XD Platinum Reserve right? Wrong My 2019 Nissan Platinum Reserve with 12,000 miles is getting a new long block Monday 3-23-2020. Yup cylinder 7 walls breaking down just like the 2 engines they put in my Titan XD. Nissan Is about to hear from my Attorney this time cuz I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! If you need to convince your dealer there's an issue show them this message!
Best of luck
No More Nissans for me!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Nissan won't tell us why these engines had a problem.
The Gen 1 5.6's are bulletproof. What happened to Gen 2?
If Nissan won't admit the issue, how can someone considering a 2020 model KNOW that this won't happen to them?
Our older Gen 1 5.6's have an issue with the exhaust manifolds. Everyone assumed Nissan "fixed" the issue in 2008. Although, Nissan NEVER admitted an issue. Turns out, after time went by the 2008+ manifolds were failing also.
But hey, there's always this to improve your confidence buying a new Nissan:

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I started doing research on Titans because they are a freaking deal. I could get a 2018 Titan SV 4wd Crewcab for like 25,000. But after finding this thread, I'm not sure I'm buying a Titan.

But Tundra in same condition is like 10k more. I'm not quite sure what to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, I started doing research on Titans because they are a freaking deal. I could get a 2018 Titan SV 4wd Crewcab for like 25,000. But after finding this thread, I'm not sure I'm buying a Titan.

Something to check on is Nissan trucks (I know the XD series) have a transferrable 100,000 mile warranty or 5 years whichever comes first. If the SV has that warranty depending on the in-service date could have two or more years of warranty left! I loved My Nissans up untill my 3rd engine. I'm Convinced this is a cylinder sleeve issue, This isn't new to the internal combustion engine world so rather than replace long blocks forever maybe they'll try a new sleeve like in their gen-1 5.6. With the latest news in the world economy I'm likely to let the dealership install the new engine tomorrow and ride this one out past the 12,000 mile timeframe to see if they have made those changes already but because of their unwillingness to admit theres an issue, not announced the change! I can tell you My 2019 Armada Platnum Reserve has every-bit the most luxurious interior and styling of any of the competitors so I guess I'm hoping this engine is better.
Peace!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2018 Crew Cab SV 4x4 and love it so far. I have not heard any knocking yet at 10,600 miles but I’m very worried about it because of the issues many of you have had. I don’t buy new vehicles very often and I thought I was getting a nice truck, at a good price, that would last because of the long standard warranty. I have a Chevy Suburban with 295,000 miles but I did have a new GM long block installed when the original head gaskets blew at 144,000 miles. The Suburban has had numerous electrical issues also. I had my Titan at Colonial Nissan for it’s 2nd oil change and tire rotation a few days ago. They did the software recall update and now my phone isn’t connecting to the truck. They also acknowledged a problem with the whistling gas tank I informed them of and said to come back for warranty replacement at my convenience. I asked two service advisors how many short or long blocks have been replaced in Titans at that dealership and they played the “we’ve never heard of that problem”. That makes me question their honesty and makes me feel like I would not be taken care of if I do hear a knock at some point during the warranty. I told them there is a TSB about it now so...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm thrilled to find this thread. I bought a Titan XD Platinum Reserve in 2017, at roughly 10,000 miles a knock from the drivers wheel well started. As with others the knock would come and go, so when I'd bring it to the dealership it was like the noise would vanish when the service manager would come out to listen. I left with tail tucked and pissed that I had a $60k truck with a ridiculous knock when I'd pull up to stop signs and parking ramp ticket booths. THEN I realized if I left the truck in drive with the Emergency brake on the knock was unmistakeable. After that they were told to do a power balance test and cylinder 7 had a problem. after scoping the inside of the cylinder the sleeve was scoring. Nissan approved a short block and 30 days later I got my truck back. Fast forward to 10k miles later same story, knock from drivers side wheel well. I was an expert in the noise now and went fairly crazy so Nissan approved a long block this time. I had enough with the Titan but still a Nissan fan as I had 11 previous Nissans from Maximas to Muranos and 4 other Titans. Arbitration bought the truck back from me and if I was inclined to stay with them they gave me employee pricing on anything i wanted to purchase. SO, FOOLISH me figures the 2019 Nissan Armada Platinum Reserve couldn't possibly have the same ECU and 5.6 as the Titan XD Platinum Reserve right? Wrong My 2019 Nissan Platinum Reserve with 12,000 miles is getting a new long block Monday 3-23-2020. Yup cylinder 7 walls breaking down just like the 2 engines they put in my Titan XD. Nissan Is about to hear from my Attorney this time cuz I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! If you need to convince your dealer there's an issue show them this message!
Best of luck
No More Nissans for me!
You may be the first report here of a failed short block replacement.
Can you please tell us what date you had your first and second short block replacement, and where you live?

Would like to know if you were one of the first replacements and if the later replacements were a different product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may be the first report here of a failed short block replacement.
Can you please tell us what date you had your first and second short block replacement, and where you live?

Would like to know if you were one of the first replacements and if the later replacements were a different product.
I don't have documentation of the first short block replacement Date as I did all the communication verbally with the service manager. to the best of my recollection it was around January of 2018. The second was almost exactly 12 months later and that is when Nissan bought the XD back from me. I never drove it again, as I bought the Armada before they finished the 2nd engine swap. Now 12 months later and approximately 12000 miles the first engine of the Armada is being replaced today! I live in Duluth Mn.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2018 Crew Cab SV 4x4 and love it so far. I have not heard any knocking yet at 10,600 miles but I’m very worried about it because of the issues many of you have had. I don’t buy new vehicles very often and I thought I was getting a nice truck, at a good price, that would last because of the long standard warranty. I have a Chevy Suburban with 295,000 miles but I did have a new GM long block installed when the original head gaskets blew at 144,000 miles. The Suburban has had numerous electrical issues also. I had my Titan at Colonial Nissan for it’s 2nd oil change and tire rotation a few days ago. They did the software recall update and now my phone isn’t connecting to the truck. They also acknowledged a problem with the whistling gas tank I informed them of and said to come back for warranty replacement at my convenience. I asked two service advisors how many short or long blocks have been replaced in Titans at that dealership and they played the “we’ve never heard of that problem”. That makes me question their honesty and makes me feel like I would not be taken care of if I do hear a knock at some point during the warranty. I told them there is a TSB about it now so...
I don't have documentation of the first short block replacement Date as I did all the communication verbally with the service manager. to the best of my recollection it was around January of 2018. The second was almost exactly 12 months later and that is when Nissan bought the XD back from me. I never drove it again, as I bought the Armada before they finished the 2nd engine swap. Now 12 months later and approximately 12000 miles the first engine of the Armada is being replaced today! I live in Duluth Mn.
So your short block may have been one of the first replaced, over a year before "the knock thread" started. Nissan just gave you the same old block thinking it was a one off?

Are the blocks different now? how?
(mine has been at the dealer for a week getting a new short block)

those in the know please comment. Monty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So your short block may have been one of the first replaced, over a year before "the knock thread" started. Nissan just gave you the same old block thinking it was a one off?

Are the blocks different now? how?
(mine has been at the dealer for a week getting a new short block)

those in the know please comment. Monty?
I will say Nissan is trying hard to keep me happy. From the time I first brought the Armada to have the manager listen to a full long block on the service departments dock was two weeks. Nissan engineering knew I had a XD buyback so the manager walked the approval in to the warranty dept to have it expedited.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts

Absolutely be careful of what you buy regardless of brand but know this, I am one of many who are still pleased and am not nor have I ever had any problems with the truck. It is currently just under 21 months old and I already have 46,000 miles on it. Yes, I would buy another one.
Then there are others who are having issues, good luck with your decision.

Clint

·
Registered
172 Posts

Nissan sold over 50,000 2018 Titans. Yes, a handful have had engine issues, but those with engine failures are the minority by a long shot. The Tundra is decent truck but its overpriced for what you get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nissan sold over 50,000 2018 Titans. Yes, a handful have had engine issues, but those with engine failures are the minority by a long shot. The Tundra is decent truck but its overpriced for what you get.
I think you've touched on part of what I am having an issue with. If Nissan admitted to this problem and issued an good TSB, we may have better information on cause and failure rates. As is, I don't have a inkling of an idea as to how many are failing and why. We don't even know if it's a design issue or manufacturing issue.

Nissan not admitting to the issue and there not being enough press on this is an indication that I think that your analysis may be right. (that it's only a handful having issues) But, then there isn't any real evidence to support that either. As someone that handles risk mitigation at work, I know I don't have enough information. So trying to decide starts to feel like a crap shoot.

Not the comfort level that I'm looking for when I'm spending 30K $. Having said that the warranty to 100K with 5 year (7year if CPO) does hedge the risk considerably. That's the wild card for me and I may still go for it. (Spending 10$ less/great warranty/small chance of getting a bum engine =Titan VS. Expensive/Better reliability/ =tundra)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm according to this TSB, '19 are excluded. But, I could have sworn we had a few '19 with the knocking/ticking problem....

181 - 200 of 202 Posts