Nissan Titan Forum banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Ford sold the 5.4L Engines for years with a bad head design that caused spark plugs to get stuck and break, they fixed the problem by making a special tool to get the broken plugs out.
Crap happens & it's just a stupid vehicle. Trade it in & move on... Life is to short !!!

Go trade it in and move on with life.
He's like an old wash woman. He's got got to be complaining and stirring the pot all the time. All he talks about is he should have got a Tundra. I wish he would hurry up and get one. The Tundra forum needs him.

Apparently spending $40-$50k on a new truck and having to replace the engine in it with less than 20,000 miles is something you guys are OK with?

I guarantee you two are in the minority on that type of thinking. The rest of us aren't.

And if I would have bought a Tundra...I wouldn't have had to replace my engine with 15,000 miles on it. So there is that.

And how is it that I'm stirring the pot when I have an engine knock and had to have my engine replaced by Nissan? Both my current Titan and Gen1 titan have/had legitimate issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ford sold the 5.4L Engines for years with a bad head design that caused spark plugs to get stuck and break, they fixed the problem by making a special tool to get the broken plugs out.
Crap happens & it's just a stupid vehicle. Trade it in & move on... Life is to short !!!

He's like an old wash woman. He's got got to be complaining and stirring the pot all the time. All he talks about is he should have got a Tundra. I wish he would hurry up and get one. The Tundra forum needs him.

Apparently spending $40-$50k on a new truck and having to replace the engine in it with less than 20,000 miles is something you guys are OK with?

I guarantee you two are in the minority on that type of thinking. The rest of us aren't.

And if I would have bought a Tundra...I wouldn't have had to replace my engine with 15,000 miles on it. So there is that.

And how is it that I'm stirring the pot when I have an engine knock and had to have my engine replaced by Nissan?
I’m currently in market for a titan or tundra. The tundra is not that much better. I have a 2018 Tacoma now. And it’s just ok. I come from fj cruisers. 4runners and other Toyota’s. What’s holding me back from tundra is car tower leaks. Tundra forums have guys with new 18 and 19’s some with less than 5k leaking. The Fox is to open up the top half of motor. What’s holding me back on titan is also engine related. Engine knock. Cylinder #7 .

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

And how is it that I'm stirring the pot when I have an engine knock and had to have my engine replaced by Nissan?
All I was implying is that nothing man-made is always perfect & Nissan seems to be owning up to the defect. Plus, there is always options to get rid of problems & move on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This thread is misleading anyway..

I mean has anyones engine actually failed. I would think a fair definition of engine failure is something like.. the engine exploded or stopped running because of the knock..

These engines could knock well into to 200k mile range and still be running!!!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I’m currently in market for a titan or tundra. The tundra is not that much better. I have a 2018 Tacoma now. And it’s just ok. I come from fj cruisers. 4runners and other Toyota’s. What’s holding me back from tundra is car tower leaks. Tundra forums have guys with new 18 and 19’s some with less than 5k leaking. The Fox is to open up the top half of motor. What’s holding me back on titan is also engine related. Engine knock. Cylinder #7 .
What's a car tower leak?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
This thread is misleading anyway..

I mean has anyones engine actually failed. I would think a fair definition of engine failure is something like.. the engine exploded or stopped running because of the knock..

These engines could knock well into to 200k mile range and still be running!!!
I was hesitant to have my engine pulled and replaced and asked the dealer if I could just let it go and not do anything. Dealer told me that Nissan told them that eventually the engine would fail.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
All I was implying is that nothing man-made is always perfect & Nissan seems to be owning up to the defect. Plus, there is always options to get rid of problems & move on.
You mean like they owned up to the defect on the failing axles and manifolds on gen1 Titan? They did no such thing with the exception of an extended warranty on the manfolds which is OK if they failed within 80,000 miles. The majority of people had to pay thousands out of pocket to fix these problems.

Nissan isn't owning up to anything with this engine knock issue. They are just honoring the warranty. If this engine was knocking out of warranty period my bets are they would treat us just like they did on the axles and manifolds and we'd be stuck paying for it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You mean like they owned up to the defect on the failing axles and manifolds on gen1 Titan? They did no such thing with the exception of an extended warranty on the manfolds which is OK if they failed within 80,000 miles. The majority of people had to pay thousands out of pocket to fix these problems.

Nissan isn't owning up to anything with this engine knock issue. They are just honoring the warranty. If this engine was knocking out of warranty period my bets are they would treat us just like they did on the axles and manifolds and we'd be stuck paying for it.

Yeah like Ford and their ecobomb engines..

Or Ram and the 5.7s that flatten the cam at or before the 100k mark...

Oh... the grass is so greener on the other side of the fence....

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

All manufacturers try & keep expenses down, that's not limited to Nissan. They have no obligation to fix things for free out of warranty ( unless it's a recall ), that's just how it works..
If one wants to have the security of not having to fix things out of pocket then replacing the whatever before the warranty is up is a option.
Btw, they redesigned the axles in 08 & the manifolds with the 2nd Gens....

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

The city I work for has a extensive fleet of Explorers with the Eco's and they have been rock solid.
But the Chevy Tahoe's time tested v8's we have seem to be eating motors around 80k, weird...

·
Registered
773 Posts

The city I work for has a extensive fleet of Explorers with the Eco's and they have been rock solid.
But the Chevy Tahoe's time tested v8's we have seem to be eating motors around 80k, weird...
I should have mentioned the Chevy 5.3 as well....since they went to cyl deactivation they have been cratering..

I will say the ford 3.5l ecoboost especially the 1st gen has nearly bankrupted some of my employees...wonderful engine when new but crap as they age....

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Correct. But 04 thru 08 owners got screwed up until that point.

If they did their R & D correctly they would have caught the axle problem and manifold problem before releasing the trucks to the public. Instead it was a hurried and rushed deal. Paying customers became they guinea pigs.

·
Registered
773 Posts

If they did their R & D correctly they would have caught the axle problem and manifold problem before releasing the trucks to the public. Instead it was a hurried and rushed deal. Paying customers became they guinea pigs.
The only mfg i think is better than the rest is Toyota.. But damn!!! U pay up front for the reliability!!!

I’d rather gamble with Nissan and keep the savings in my pocket... worst case senario I have big repair bills and break even....

I feel you pain prg and am not trying to prove anyone here wrong...

I feel Nissan does as good as anyone else...

Buying a vehicle these days is a gamble. Shouldnt be but is is... And I blame technolgy and goverment regulation.....

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

Every single manufacturer does the same thing, they don't have the resources or time to put a vehicle through years of real world testing...
Acura didn't find out the had a transmission programming problem until 6 months after the launch of the newer RDX & that's a luxury brand..
Ford said they put a million miles on the updated SD's but for some reason they didn't notice that the trucks were eating radiators like Skittles because of an mounting issuse .
This is the whole reason why people say don't buy the 1st year production model because you are just continuing the testing.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Every single manufacturer does the same thing, they don't have the resources or time to put a vehicle through years of real world testing...
Acura didn't find out the had a transmission programming problem until 6 months after the launch of the newer RDX & that's a luxury brand..
Ford said they put a million miles on the updated SD's but for some reason they didn't notice that the trucks were eating radiators like Skittles because of an mounting issuse .
This is the whole reason why people say don't buy the 1st year production model because you are just continuing the testing.
Ford has been making radiators for over 100 years!!!

Youd think they would get it right!!!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I guess some of you have lower expectations than I do. When spending the kind of money we do on these cars, I don't expect there to be major problems such as axles, manifolds and engine replacement. Like some of you, I went for Nissan again for the lower price and I like the gas mileage numbers and a few other features the Titan had over the Tundra. Although it seems that savings has come with a reliability trade off.

As a little background...Up until 1995 I was the typical buyer of Ford, Chevy, Dodge products. However everyone one of them gave me major problems, left me stranded on the side of the road and I spent hundreds of thousands in repair bills. In 1995 I purchased my first import brand which was a Mazda. From 1995 on all my vehicle purchases were cars from Mazda, Honda and Toyota...every single one of them was reliable and never gave me any problems. More or less put in the gas and change the oil and normal maintenance items such as brakes, tires and mufflers. In 2004 I purchased my first Nissan which was plagued with the axle problems, manifold problems and various other problems that are too many to list here. Giving Nissan the benefit of the doubt and that they have improved things I purchased my 2nd generation Titan in 2018 only to have to have the engine replaced with 15,000 miles on the odometer.

So as you can see...2 lemons in a row have left me a little frustrated with Nissan. Keep in mind I do have a 2018 Rogue also...but that vehicle has been problem free so far.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Man, so much excuse making for Nissan!

Manifolds: Many truck manufacturers have the same issue, most all trucks are just low quality these days. The requirement to have "pre-cats" hanging from the exhaust manifold affects all manufacturers, and even Toyota truck manifolds fail
However, what surprises me is the lack of a lower exhaust bracket. My old Hondas had a bracket from the lower part of the exhaust near the downpipe that bolted to the engine. Why the heck Nissan didn't add a similar bracket to reduce the stress on the manifolds is beyond me. Due to heat cycling, weight of converters and length of un-supported assembly you can bet these will just keep failing.

Engine: this is not excusable guys! Nissan had the 5.6 dialed in perfectly prior to Gen 2. You gotta admit, the 5.6 V8 in the older trucks is the best part of the truck. So, Nissan "upgrades" the PFI to direct injection, and now we are losing engines? Come on....
What about carbon deposits? AFAIK only dual PFI/DI engines can truly avoid carbon deposits. Is that another nasty surprise for Gen 2 owners down the line?

I have a ton of admiration for my 2007 Gen 1 Titan. Now that it is nearly 13 years old I can see it is going to have a tough future, accelerated corrosion (I had to replace manifolds myself, I have never had such a bad experience with breaking bolts and stripped threads, this truck set a new low for me) plastic pieces crumbling, power seat is totally coming apart. My truck has never given me trouble, but I can see getting another 5 years out of it is about all I can expect. Not too bad for how little I paid for the truck.

Now, if Toyota would ever hurry up and redesign the Tundra, that may be my next truck.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Like I said, I guess people have lower expectations than I do when spending $40-$50k on a truck. To sit back and justify the issues with the Titan by saying "they all have their problems" is just absurd. Just because other brands may have a problem or two doesn't make it right. How about doing better than the competition?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...None of the Tundra owners have been replacing axles, manifolds and now engines in the past 15 years. Hell I don't even think Ford, Dodge and Chevy guys were either. If they were...it was no where near the numbers of the Titan.

The first gen Titan is a rock solid engine and transmission surrounded by cheap shi-tty components. You can tell where they cut corners on the interior and some of the mechanical parts...Evap valves, axles, window switches, early brake judders that everyone experienced, early radiator leaks that everyone experiencd, rubber transmission mount on frame cross bar, axle seal leaks, fuel sending guages that wouldn't display the proper fuel level etc. I could go on...it's all in this forum.

The 2nd generation Titan they upscaled the interior immensely and I thought the engine and transmission would have been as good as the 1st generation Titan. So far that remains to be seen. We are still in the early stages with this newer engine and transmission and already have numerous engine failures.

141 - 160 of 184 Posts