Nissan Titan Forum banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Google "Tundra cracked manifold" and you'll see it happens to them to. Even an occasional Nissan owner may chime in to commiserate.

I have the 7AT in my Q60, it is not as good as the 5AT in my Titan. It's just a TCM logic issue I am sure, but it occasionally acts funny for me, and I have read the same issue on QX80's, Armadas, Q50, Q60 etc. Not a horrible transmission, but not a great one either.
The 5AT is great. Even when I had my DSG GTI I found the 5AT in my Titan to be more "on point" than the critically acclaimed DSG in my GTI. The DSG was amazing, but every so often got caught off guard. The 7AT though, you gotta keep "reminding" it to NOT go into "grandma mode". For a 2 door sporty car like my Q60, almost not OK, for a Gen 2 Titan/SUV, maybe OK?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Oh, and BTW, Chevy had a WAY WORSE issue with their 1/2 ton rear ends in the early 2000's.

Everyone I know has had them replaced often and are now running aftermarket.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have to say at 30k miles now, I hardly have to hold the steering wheel … it tracks that straight ! All this engine talk gives me concern but so far runs great and is quiet for an engine this size.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Oh, and BTW, Chevy had a WAY WORSE issue with their 1/2 ton rear ends in the early 2000's.

Again...this is an absurd statement.

It doesn't make it right or justify the engine knock on the Titan.

What is it with some of you? Its like you're in Nissans corner cheering that this engine knock problem is ok.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

What is it with some of you? Its like you're in Nissans corner cheering that this engine knock problem is ok.

I don't think anyone is saying it's ok, we are just showing other examples of other vehicle issues.
I have yet to understand why you care so much about something that you are under no obligation to own. Jeez.....
Go over to the XD forum & you'll read about the Cummins Crankshaft issues. There's another example of a manufacturing problem.
I highly doubt you'll be on your death bed thinking about Nissan's 2019 Engine Gate.

·
Registered
617 Posts

What's "absurd" is your inability to comprehend the totality of my statements.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had a 2004 Titan and I traded it in after 8 years and 140,000 kms - the only major issue was the rear end which was replaced under warranty - no other major issue with that truck - as already mentioned, the engine and transmission in that 2004 Titan was rock solid and gave me everything that I needed.

I would trade the lousy gas mileage in the 2004 5.6L engine for the knocking problem in my 2017 5.6L engine - that Nissan seems VERY determined not to tell us what caused the problem. Now here I sit waiting for my replacement short block engine in which I won't have much faith in because I won't know if the problem has been fixed.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I would trade the lousy gas mileage in the 2004 5.6L engine for the knocking problem in my 2017 5.6L engine - that Nissan seems VERY determined not to tell us what caused the problem. Now here I sit waiting for my replacement short block engine in which I won't have much faith in because I won't know if the problem has been fixed.
I totally agree with this.

It's easy for those of you that don't have these problems to sit back and try and justify that this is OK by saying "They all have their problems or they all do it". That is until you are in our shoes and being inconvenienced by this. Then maybe some of you would be singing a different tune. I'm pretty sure of it.

In my experience...No...They don't all have these problems. Up until my first Nissan I went through a series of Mazda, Honda and Toyota cars and trucks putting over 200 and 300 thousands miles on some of them with zero problems except normal maintenance. And I have a few buddies that have been through all of the versions of the Tundra with no problems either.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I had a 2004 Titan and I traded it in after 8 years and 140,000 kms - the only major issue was the rear end which was replaced under warranty - no other major issue with that truck - as already mentioned, the engine and transmission in that 2004 Titan was rock solid and gave me everything that I needed.

Since the Engines are a in house product, Nissan is eating the cost so I'm imagine that they already know what the problem is & have resolved it. Manufacturers don't have to explain themselves, unless it's a Safety Recall.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I thought I was having engine and transmission problems in my 2017. Took it to the shop and they did updates on the ECM and TCM and it is a completely different truck now. Engine idles better without vibration, transmission doesn't flutter, no loss of power when accelerating... like a whole different truck. They scoped all of my cylinders and said that they couldn't find an issue. I now have 45000 miles on the truck and haven't had any further issues with it.

Every manufacturer has troubles. With GM it is always electrical, with ford it is always engines, with dodge it is always transmissions, with toyota it is mostly cooling issues and barely passing crash tests. Nissan has some issues, but you can't really get a basis for how many have a problem based upon membership to a forum like this. Squeakiest wheel gets the oil. People pissed about their cars tend to go everywhere to complain about them, hence the problem seems bigger then it actually is.

My dealership says that with their Titan sales in 2017 model year they are only seeing about 2-3% come back with actual mechanical engine/transmission issues, while the vast majority of problem is the transmission shifting (which they have a service bulletin for) where they are seeing about 25% coming back to get the update flashed and then have no further issue.

When I took mine in they gave me a loaner Titan and I was out the door in about five minutes and they fixed everything in about 5 hours (due the ECU and TCU software being very old versions) and I picked up my truck at the end of the day... better than new. This is why I keep buying Nissan vehicles and will continue in the future... Especially, if they keep offering a 5/100k warranty as standard. :)

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I totally agree with this.

It's easy for those of you that don't have these problems to sit back and try and justify that this is OK by saying "They all have their problems or they all do it". That is until you are in our shoes and being inconvenienced by this. Then maybe some of you would be singing a different tune. I'm pretty sure of it.

In my experience...No...They don't all have these problems. Up until my first Nissan I went through a series of Mazda, Honda and Toyota cars and trucks putting over 200 and 300 thousands miles on some of them with zero problems except normal maintenance. And I have a few buddies that have been through all of the versions of the Tundra with no problems either.
The dealer put $9k of warranty claims into my 08 after I bought it, the funny thing is, my life went on....

·
Premium Member
68,867 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Since the Engines are a in house product, Nissan is eating the cost so I'm imagine that they already know what the problem is & have resolved it. Manufacturers don't have to explain themselves, unless it's a Safety Recall.
Time will tell - Will still have 28 months of warranty remaining after engine swap

·
Registered
180 Posts
Time will tell - Will still have 28 months of warranty remaining after engine swap
This is my most concern about this swap...TIME.......will it last..the truck at 22.000klm so by the end of warranty i be about 44.000klm. lest just hope that the problem is fix and i don't have to go whit this all process again.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My previous car the transmission failed at 20k miles with 28 months of my 36 month lease.

They didn't give me a reason why it failed. I had every intention of buying the car out post-lease, but instead I returned it at end of lease.

(also, the dealer that replaced my trans, didn't completely put may car back together correctly, I had to have them come get it and correct their lack of workmanship)

If they don't tell me what happened, they get the car back.

Maybe the Gen2 Titan is better off being leased?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Came across this thread today. My '17 SV Titan is at the dealer for a similar knock. My truck has 27,xxx miles on it and the knock has gotten worse over time. Turns out, they're replacing the shortblock which has been in for about 4 weeks now. Sounds a lot like OP. My friend who is a tech at Nissan in another state who I talk too frequently told me it's an assembly line issue. The guys in Canton they call them the "Canton Crossthreaders". My issue was cylinder #7. Once the shortblock is replaced properly, there shouldn't be any issues and he's told me he's seen these trucks with 300k+ miles on them with OEM engine/drivetrain.

It does make me think about trading it in for something else due to having issues so early and others having the same.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It does make me think about trading it in for something else due to having issues so early and others having the same.
The engine in the Gen1 Titan is extremely reliable, your buddy was referring to the original VK56.

I would NOT be happy to have a short block replaced. The quality of work is dependent on the tech and dealer who do it, and there's too much that can go wrong if someone is having a bad day.
Either I'd say they owe you a much-extended warranty or do a complete long-block swap. If it were me, I'd be all over the lemon law the moment they say "short-block".

·
Registered
14 Posts
The engine in the Gen1 Titan is extremely reliable, your buddy was referring to the original VK56.

I would NOT be happy to have a short block replaced. The quality of work is dependent on the tech and dealer who do it, and there's too much that can go wrong if someone is having a bad day.
Either I'd say they owe you a much-extended warranty or do a complete long-block swap. If it were me, I'd be all over the lemon law the moment they say "short-block".
Yeah man, once it was in the shop then that's it. I may trade it in soon after I get it back or like you said, ask about an extended warranty. I love everything about the truck so don't want to get rid of it. But I'd rather that than have huge engine trouble or something down the road.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Were they running fuel economy gears and trying to drive it like it had 4.10s in it? My 2000 came with 3.42 and I swapped it with OEM 4.10 ring and pinion to gain an additional cushion on my towing capacity. Never an issue when I sold it with 200,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also having problems with my 2017 Titan that has only 15000 km. I deal with O'Regans Dartmouth Nova Scotia. I posted here a number of times in the past but feel other than venting it serves little purpose. I had a number of issues with the short block versus the factory motor (long block) fix. I felt since this was a manufacturer's defect why wasn't a new complete motor installed. I tried to book an appointment in early April but couldn't get an appointment until mid April because of their schedule. During that wait Nissan decided to do short block fixes instead of complete motor replacements. I missed a proper fix due to their busy schedule. Listed below is a number of issues I been having with the truck and this dealer.

The defective motor number 7 cylinder issues

Back order on the short block and seals

Losing my truck with no loaner offered or warranty extended.

Service Manager telling me the short block was installed but is misfiring. Asked me if I did something to the motor like put injection cleaner in it. He then called me back to say they broke a spark plug while working on it.

Then they broke my GPS system and have ordered a new one. It is on back order.

I carefully track my fuel mileage and the truck had 390 km to empty tank when dropped off. To add insult to injury the fuel light was on with 0 km to empty tank. I brought it to the service manager's attention and his response was OH Well with no offer to put in a little gas. It is a small issue but shows what customer service is not.

I also had wet carpet in the truck. The first time I brought it to their attention they told me they could not find anything and was probably snow off my boots. I told the service manager that it also frost up in the inside and he told it quite common to scrap frost off the inside of a vehicle. More bull

After having the carpet soaked for months. They told me tell found a leak at the back window and that they replaced all of the carpet in the truck because it was wet and getting mouldy. They even reinstalled the hair from my dog into the new carpet if you get my drift. More lies.

I told the dealership I want a replacement or a buy back they offered no replacement and insulted me with a $25000 offer on a $54000 truck with only 15000 km.

I tried to bring my case to a consumer advocacy group here in Canada (GOPUBLIC.CBC.CA) with no luck. I hope you all better luck with your issues and may you be treated with some respect.
Just found this thread today - guess I must have been lucky - got a new long block installed with no issues back in early April at O'Reagans - but they told me number 1 cylinder was scored - was around 54,000kms on the truck - but now there are just over 22,000 kms on the New engine and I am hearing a tick again when you are standing beside it while it is idling - so maybe not so lucky - am going to ask them to check when i go for next oil change. I like the truck but it is disappointing to have the engine problems then to learn here that there isn't much consistency in the fix.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts