Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I reach speed, I try and coast as much as possible. While coasting, the truck slows down on its own and it will downshift, even going downhill and it will also downshift. For example, I reach 43 MPH, transmission shift up to 5th gear, RPM drops to about 1250. As the truck slows to 39 MPH, transmission shifts down to 4th and RPM's jump to about 1750. I am NOT in Tow Mode. Only 33K miles on it. Seems like it is using the engine for braking like it is in Tow Mode though. No warning lights are on, I am not towing anything either. I feel like I am wearing the engine out and I would much rather wear the brakes out instead.

Is this normal operation for a Titan?

·
Registered
2004 Titan SE 4x4 Big Tow
58 Posts
Doesn’t seem like perfectly normal behavior, but you don’t wear the engine by engine braking unless you money-shift a MTx. I prefer engine braking as it provides more control, consistency, and predictability over just using brakes.

Hopefully a second gen owner will chime in with their experience.

Reactions: JJM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take a look at this thread..is it similar to what you are talking about..I took my truck in to have them look at it and of course they said nothing wrong with and my truck has current transmission firmware or whatever..i don’t care what they say my truck should not hold the gear like it does/ where it does. But other then that and the random flutter I get every once in a blue moon my transmission seems fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts