Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed the Flowmaster Catback #717910 on my 2017 Titan PR 5.6.
I choose this over the JBA due to the welded support hangers on the pipe and better clamps. I’ve had Magnaflow in the past on other vehicles and they are just to quiet! I like the Borla dual out the back but it’s pretty expensive for a 2-1/4 dual inlet/outlet setup.

I like the Flowmaster Y-merge pipe and the single inlet/outlet muffler along with the black 4-1/2 tip. Everything lined up no issues fits great. I’d recommend getting two new flange gaskets as this kit doesn’t supply them. This FlowFX setup sounds good outside the truck and somewhat aggressive inside the cab. I was expecting it to be more mellow inside but it’s definitely better over the stock exhaust. It sounds great cruising on the highway at 70mph etc. It does have a slight rasp sound to it outside when I rev it a few times. For now it’s great sounding for the price but I might end up swapping the muffler for the Borla 40944 to get a deeper tone , plus the Borla muffler is only 3” shorter so it’s a easy swap if desired.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So after most of you folks checked out the videos I posted. Any thoughts on swapping out the Flowmaster FlowFX muffler for the Borla XR1 40944? From the few videos I can find on the XR1 it might sound deeper and toned down slightly but still pretty close in comparison.
The XR1,16” x 4.25” x 7.88” overall 21
The FlowFX, 14” X 4” x 9” overall 24”

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had a borla on my first gen...sounded great and no drone. Had flowmaster on my chevy and it was louder and droned a lot.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This new muffler doesn’t have chamber’s like we know the Flowmasters for. It’s more like a welded Thrush or others alike. I planned on doing the Borla swap was just curious what this one was going to sound like? It has a little bit of rasp to it which I would do away with.

·
Registered
758 Posts
These engines have a rasp to them anyways due to firing order.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok folks, the Flowmaster FlowFX muffler has been replaced with the Borla muffler item #40944.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Quick merge on/off the highway nothing crazy in the cab sound of the Borla 40944. Definitely quieter in the cab now. Also the FlowFX muffler felt like an engine break when you lifted off the throttle and it would pop and crackle and the rpm would hang up etc. This Borla muffler has none of that nonsense! Kinda weird but my truck feels lighter in the throttle if that makes any sense?
Big difference for sure, just what I was looking for in sound.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quick merge on/off the highway nothing crazy in the cab sound of the Borla 40944. Definitely quieter in the cab now. Also the FlowFX muffler felt like an engine break when you lifted off the throttle and it would pop and crackle and the rpm would hang up etc. This Borla muffler has none of that nonsense! Kinda weird but my truck feels lighter in the throttle if that makes any sense?
Big difference for sure, just what I was looking for in sound.

Sounds good. Did you just cut out stock muffler and weld it on?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sounds great! That'll be next on my list thanks

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I bought the Flowmaster Catback cause the hangers are welded on the pipe and the kit uses band clamps not the old school exhaust clamps. I then purchased another band clamp and a short section of pipe that was made for a slip fit with a bell on one side from Amazon. Also got the Borla muffler on Amazon too. I cut the section of pipe as I only needed 6” to make the Borla swap. FYI, you’ll have to cut notches on the muffler inlet/outlet so it will crimp when the exhaust clamps are tightened. You’ll need to do the same on the exhaust extension pipe bell side. I used my 4” grinder with a cutoff wheel.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plus I liked the fact that the Flowmaster Catback came with a 4.50” black exhaust tip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts