Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The third Canadian winter has weakened the stock battery. Just finishing eight days of -35 to -40 with wind chills reaching -50C ( -40 C = -40F). There were a couple of days the engine would not turn over even though plugged in. I use Synthetic oil, serviced by the dealer. A Genius G26000 with Jump ability finally got it started. *Sidebar here... I am not a fan of the push button start for cold weather operation - With a key you could get that last crank or two that frequently started the truck - The Push Button stops the party way too early. * My first question of the group - Is three years too early to experience battery failure? I suspect there's zero chance of the Bumper to Bumper covering this, vehicle has less than 48K km or 30K miles, seems way too early - I have driven the vehicle for winters of 18, 19 & 50% 20. It does get extremely cold here. I am thinking this leads me to Battery replacement. There are lots of battery threads here, but now Optima has a new H6 Yellow top. It is not a spiral it is AGM but with flat plates, more density. 800 CCA; 928 CA; 140 Minute Reserve Capacity. I would be interested in opinons. Product Finder | OPTIMA Batteries

·
Registered
442 Posts
In the 2018 warranty booklet for US vehicles, the battery has a free replacement until 24 months (I am not seeing any mileage limitations). After 24 months it is pro-rated up to 84 months, as follows:

Months In Service, 0-24; Customer pays 0%
Months In Service, 25-32; Customer pays 25%
Months In Service, 33-50; Customer pays 50%
Months In Service, 51-84; Customer pays 75%

The percentages are based on the retail price of the battery. After 24 months, the customer also pays labor charges. In order to obtain warranty service for the battery, US customer's can access a dealer in the US or Canada.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the 2018 warranty booklet for US vehicles, the battery has a free replacement until 24 months (I am not seeing any mileage limitations). After 24 months it is pro-rated up to 84 months, as follows:

Months In Service, 0-24; Customer pays 0%
Months In Service, 25-32; Customer pays 25%
Months In Service, 33-50; Customer pays 50%
Months In Service, 51-84; Customer pays 75%

The percentages are based on the retail price of the battery. After 24 months, the customer also pays labor charges. In order to obtain warranty service for the battery, US customer's can access a dealer in the US or Canada.
I read the 2017 book and didn't glean this from it. I will call the dealer tomorrow - Thank You!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't think 3 years is too early considering the weather you describe.
I had to replace one at the 3½ year mark in mild California temps.

I went with an Optima Yellowtop (Not H6) and just found it to be so-so. I wouldn't buy another one.
I would just get one from Walmart or a Duralast Gold from Autozone which both have 3 year full replacement warranties and then prorated for the next 2 years.

Reactions: Captain_Morgan

·
Registered
442 Posts
Also consider a H6 Bosch Platinum AGM from Pep Boys. I have 4 of these in various flavors and am happy that with them. These have a 4 year replacement warranty.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The third Canadian winter has weakened the stock battery. Just finishing eight days of -35 to -40 with wind chills reaching -50C ( -40 C = -40F). There were a couple of days the engine would not turn over even though plugged in. I use Synthetic oil, serviced by the dealer. A Genius G26000 with Jump ability finally got it started. *Sidebar here... I am not a fan of the push button start for cold weather operation - With a key you could get that last crank or two that frequently started the truck - The Push Button stops the party way too early. * My first question of the group - Is three years too early to experience battery failure? I suspect there's zero chance of the Bumper to Bumper covering this, vehicle has less than 48K km or 30K miles, seems way too early - I have driven the vehicle for winters of 18, 19 & 50% 20. It does get extremely cold here. I am thinking this leads me to Battery replacement. There are lots of battery threads here, but now Optima has a new H6 Yellow top. It is not a spiral it is AGM but with flat plates, more density. 800 CCA; 928 CA; 140 Minute Reserve Capacity. I would be interested in opinons. Product Finder | OPTIMA Batteries
Must be a fellow Alberta boy! This is the first time I've actually parked my truck in the garage overnight for over a week. (my garage is mostly a man-cave and storage for my Hellcat)
Anyways...regarding Optima batteries. I've had a few over the years. I had a Yellow top that lasted over 10 yrs. The "internet story" is that a few years ago they started subbing out the manufacturing to Mexico, at which point the quality really fell off. I've found they are not really worth the extra $$$ they cost. I've been buying NAPA batteries the last few years with good luck.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I now just get the Wal Mart Everstart maxx batteries..

They have a 3 year free replacement no questions asked plus theres a Wal Mart at every corner of the world...

I used to get the Autozone Duralast batteries but they always wanted to keep the bad battery overnight to charge and test which is a hassle..

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
~4-5 years is my average time for replacement in WI with our winters.

Don't get hung up on buying Optima and paying the premium price for it. The walmart battery is just as good.

There are only 3 automotive battery manufactures...Johnson controls, Exide and East Penn...All sold under different brand names and a whole lot of marketing fluff but not one is actually better than the other.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Another great option is in the link below:
Autocraft Platinum AGM H6

Use coupon code G567BX to knock off 25% ($50) off the price. I installed this exact battery on my Z3 in the Fall of 2015 and it has worked flawlessly. It has a 3 year replacement. The Bosch (Exide) from Pep Boys would have a 4 year replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2012 nissan titan sv. I live in buffalo, and i just changed my original factory battery for the first time this year. I have to say that i was really impressed with it. My weather is not as severe or as cold as yours and that is a huge factor. If you dont use your truck for a couple of days during extreme cold temperature, then get a battery tender and hook it up. This will extend the battery life and help just a little more. Batteries do not do very well in that kind of temperature, so it does not surprise me either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2012 nissan titan sv. I live in buffalo, and i just changed my original factory battery for the first time this year. I have to say that i was really impressed with it. My weather is not as severe or as cold as yours and that is a huge factor. If you dont use your truck for a couple of days during extreme cold temperature, then get a battery tender and hook it up. This will extend the battery life and help just a little more. Batteries do not do very well in that kind of temperature, so it does not surprise me either. As for which battery to buy is up to you. I would find the best warranty on which ever brand, and go with that one.

·
Premium Member
20,546 Posts
In my '07 Titan I drove to the end of the county dirt road and then a few miles beyond that. A dead battery would have required a very, very long walk back to the main road. I upgraded the OEM battery to an Odyssey PC1700MJT. It was a great battery. Good enough that I put an Odyssey in my UTV and will likely upgrade the batteries in my F-350 to Odyssey also.

My swag is that three years is about average life of an OEM battery. One of the batteries in my F-350 didn't last two years and was replaced by Ford, but I had to work hard to get them to do it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
^Odyssey batteries are great but pricey.

I've had horrible luck with Optima Yellow tops, I had one of their Red tops that seemed to do just fine.

Interstate batteries are quality for a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
20,546 Posts
All my other cars get Wal-mart or Sam's Club batteries. So far, so good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts