Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
had this in my 17 titan. took to dealership and reprogramed trans.twice and fixed shift problem. told hesitation due to leaves in baffles in front of radiator not being able to open/close properly. I still have vibration in rear from some where, tires rebalanced twice. don't know what we'r going to do about that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just recently purchased a used 2017 Nissan titan with 10500 miles on it. I hadnt really noticed anything unusual with shifting the first week of having the truck stock. I then had a lift and 35 inch tires put on it. Now it seems like when i take everything is good with transmission until right around 3rd gear and then it almost feels like the power cuts completely out before picking back up quickly almost feels like someone is pushing in a clutch on a manual transmission which this is not. Is the same issue that the TSB is supposed to fix? Do you just call your local dealer and tell them the TSB and they will fix it free? I did notice though that putting it in tow mode before taking off it seems to fix the problem or just taking off at a faster pace and keeping the RPMS it seems to miss the cutout as well.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
You’re turning much more mass with those tires plus the lift with no gearing changes so it will feel differently now.

Clint

·
Registered
3 Posts
nissan has updates on trans. need to reprogram trans. if the louvers are not opening/closing properly it will cause the bogging down you described these are in front of radiator be sure no leaves etc. in them. also you probably voided factory warranty when you put lift kit and big *** tires on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all....been reading thru all these posts. I picked up my Titan with a branded title and 10,500 miles on it after he had it lemon lawed. Nissan sold it to me with full factory warranty and the tranny had the update performed; sold it to me as "the issue no longer exists" in regards to the shifting / hesitation....it still exists but I can live with it as the purchase price for the XD Pro 4X was $30,000.00

I did try the suggested hack of putting tranny into 6th gear manually from start and it definitely makes a difference. Nissan may be buying this back from me and jumping into a new one; the dealers know all about these issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine won’t go into 5th gear even if manually shifted until I’m doing around 45 mph. So I’m running all over town engine braking every time I let off the gas and getting13-15 mpg. The motor doesn’t feel like it would be bogged down if it would go into 5th sooner. I’ll have to look but I think it’s around 45 mph and 2,500 rpm that I’ll finally shift. If it’s going say 43 or so rpm it’ll just ride there at 2,499 or so rpm and engine brake like three speed with 4.56 gears in the rear when I let off. So around town it spends the majority of it’s time in 4th gear and 2k+ rpm. When it finally goes to 5th it’ll drop below 2k and cruise nicely at 45. On the highway it does well and gets 20 mpg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine won’t go into 5th gear even if manually shifted until I’m doing around 45 mph. So I’m running all over town engine braking every time I let off the gas and getting13-15 mpg. The motor doesn’t feel like it would be bogged down if it would go into 5th sooner. I’ll have to look but I think it’s around 45 mph and 2,500 rpm that I’ll finally shift. If it’s going say 43 or so rpm it’ll just ride there at 2,499 or so rpm and engine brake like three speed with 4.56 gears in the rear when I let off. So around town it spends the majority of it’s time in 4th gear and 2k+ rpm. When it finally goes to 5th it’ll drop below 2k and cruise nicely at 45. On the highway it does well and gets 20 mpg.
Is that normal? Are y’all riding around in 4th at 2,499 rpm when in a 40 mph zone?

·
Registered
29 Posts
100% normal. Mine behaves the same.
Thanks Maddog. It’s kind of good, kind of bad.
Off topic but transmission related. We took it for a cruise down the beach the other day. We went through some fairly deep sand in 4hi for a few miles and it never felt like it was in the wrong gear. It was in D with over drive off and it handled it like a boss.
My apologies for the thread jacking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had some hard shifting recently on my 2017 Titan XD PR Cummins, did the 6th manual recommendation and it smoothed out, but also driving in 4x4 Hi does the trick, completely different shifting, I think it's because of the oil pressure in the transmission changed when activating 4x4, i bet it goes down.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts