Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SV Crew 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some tire noise on my 2017 CC SV 4x4 developing honestly since the tires were put on. I wasnt too worried about it as I was having the tires rotated at the dealer ever 5k at oil change time. Well recently the road noise got pretty bad and I had it at the dealer today for reg sched maintenance. I mentioned it to the service advisor and he said that it was probably caused by lack of rotation. I told him that I have had them rotated every 5k at their shop. He asked " did you request x pattern rotation?". I honestly thought this was SOP but apparently not at this particular dealer. He also noted that he recommended an alignment as well. Long story short, it was out of alignment but he didnt have the details as to how bad other than "it was out pretty bad". I wanted to share as I have $900 worth of tires that now are very annoying from about 45 - 65 mph and worse depending on the type of pavement (fresh asphalt is noiser!). I am hoping that they quiet down once they get time to hopefully wear themselves even.

·
Registered
2017 SV Crew 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know you had to request certain type of rotation, I call BS on that dealer......
Nor I, never heard of such a thing. I was under the impression that front to rear action was the way it was supposed to be done with radial tires. I think it is BS too but wanted to warn others, may save someone the same bad experience.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have an 18 SV and buddy 19 Midnight, both suffer from tire cupping even with rotations every 5k with oil changes
I keep my rear tires at 33 to 34 psi when the bed is empty.. most trucks are light in the back don't need the higher psi..

My tires stock tires have almost 45k and no cupping. I have had several titans in the past and never experienced cupping…

Cupping usually happens on HD trucks or from lack of rotation

·
Registered
99 Posts
The alignment was probably the most important part of this scenario, and the reason for the cupping. I noticed some slight noise from my 2017 Pro-4x tires early in it's life, and they checked the alignment. It was out some. Once aligned correctly, no more abnormal wear and they never got any louder.

Rotate the tires according to the owner's manual instruction, which is front to back-back to front.

·
Registered
2017 SV Crew 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input from everyone. I had the tires at 39 cold per the pillar sticker. Might try a little lower, that coupled with the alignment hopefully will stop anymore damage. I went with a cheaper set of tires (Mastcraft Coursers) but after reading y'all's responses, I tend to think that maybe 39 is too high and the alignment are the culprits here. I just hope they wear a little and the noise gets better, it drives me crazy. The truck still rides good overall but I can feel it slightly running down the road from about 45-55 mph.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I got my flame suit on here -

I have 33k on my truck with the general grabbers. Keep the pressures at 35 cold per the sticker on the door. I have NEVER rotated these tires. Why? I just didn't do it. No particular reason. Maybe because my previous cars were configured so tire rotation could not happen. Maybe because I don't care for the Grabbers.

That said, the only tires on my truck that are cupped are the front tires. The back tires look brand new. I do notice the front wheels have a ton of positive camber when you turn the wheel a decent amount. So if you don't slow down significantly before you take a turn, you're causing extra wear on the "shoulders" of the front tires. All current gen Titans are aligned like this. I haven't looked into it - I probably have another 20k miles left on these tires as they are and I'm coming from Z cars where I had tons of negative camber and different wheel sizes and a max of 15k per set of tires.

·
Registered
2017 SV Crew 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't have much seat time on the grabbers from the factory, I bought the truck with 46k on it from a Nissan dealer and the grabbers were pretty much bald on all 4 corners. I would have preferred to just have the dealer put some new tires on it before I took delivery but it was on a Saturday and they didn't have any techs on staff that day and wanted to ink the sale so they took $900 off the price to accommodate the tires that were on it. I like the look and overall performance of the Master Crafts that I had put on it but this cupping **** sucks. I still dont know if the alignment is what caused it, the shitty rotation job done by the dealer caused it or if it is because the tires I have aren't that great. I probably will never know. I came from a an F150 and it ate tires alive with cupping if you didn't rotate them religiously.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I didn't have much seat time on the grabbers from the factory, I bought the truck with 46k on it from a Nissan dealer and the grabbers were pretty much bald on all 4 corners. I would have preferred to just have the dealer put some new tires on it before I took delivery but it was on a Saturday and they didn't have any techs on staff that day and wanted to ink the sale so they took $900 off the price to accommodate the tires that were on it. I like the look and overall performance of the Master Crafts that I had put on it but this cupping **** sucks. I still dont know if the alignment is what caused it, the shitty rotation job done by the dealer caused it or if it is because the tires I have aren't that great. I probably will never know. I came from a an F150 and it ate tires alive with cupping if you didn't rotate them religiously.
I'd look at replacing shocks as well. The stock shocks are absolutely terrible and could definitely contribute to cupping.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think your problem might be the Mastercrafts. My wife’s dad thought he was doing a good thing and put new tires on her car a few times in that brand. Every set we had were total crap. They would cause vibration and massive road noise after 8-10k miles every time. When he mentioned getting her a set again I went and bought good tires before he could do it. No more problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts