Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Titan rolled backwards while parked and it just started doing that. I bought this car brand new and had it for about 2.5 years. It only has 15K miles. The first time it rolled backwards I was in it. I parked and it rolled backwards about 2-3 feet. The ground was covered with a little bit of snow. The snow had just started. I have parked it in the snow before and has never done that.The second time I parked it in my driveway and I came out in the morning and the car had rolled at the end of my driveway. I brought it to the dealership and they’re telling me to use my parking brakes when I park the car, which I have never done before and I didn’t have any issue. Another thing they said is to change my tires, due to the tread depth being at 4/30. But the tires weren’t a problem before because the vehicle rolls down it doesn’t slip. The dealership also advised me to put it in 4wd when parked. I never used the parking brakes when I parked my car. My driveway is not a hill its a slope about 8 to10% degree angle. I also videotaped it 3 times while putting the car in parked, the ground had slush and you can see that the car rolls backwards about 4-5 feet. I’m asking to see if anyone has had the same problem. I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Sounds like parking without using the parking brake has caused you to break the pawl off which normally holds the truck without letting the wheels roll when in park. The real answer is to get your trans fixed and figure out the parking brake use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like parking without using the parking brake has caused you to break the pawl off which normally holds the truck without letting the wheels roll when in park. The real answer is to get your trans fixed and figure out the parking brake use.
Do you use the parking brake all the time?. Because I have never used it and I have never had an issue with any other vehicles ,except now. The dealership said that the parking pawl is working fine. Don’t know if they took a look at it. The vehicle is under warranty so I don’t get if that was the problem like you said wouldn’t they fix it?It’s just odd that the car rolls backwards and then stops on its own

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
You should be able to test the park pawl by parking the truck without the brake and trying to push it. If you get a little movement and then a hard stop, your park pawl is intact. But with the rolling you're describing, my guess is, you're going to discover the park pawl is not intact.

As for brake use, yes, every time. Make it a habit to put it on when you get out, and release it when you get in. I used to be in outside sales, and parked all over everywhere, on hills, parallel, streetside, in garages, in big open parking lots, on slopes and angles all kinds of ways. Had to use the brake. It's called a parking brake for a reason. You'd think I was a fool if I said, "I know the truck has headlights, but I don't use them. And I can't see when I drive at night." It's a parking brake. Seriously.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,161 Posts
You're giving it a complex. You keep calling it a "car".

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Titan SV
24 Posts
I have a 2018 Titan SV, yes I ALWAYS use the parking brake. I press brake, shift to neutral, engage parking brake, release brake pedal (this takes the entires weight of the truck off your transmission), then shift to park. However, I have done this in every vehicle I have owned, not just my 2 Titans, it eliminates that “clank” you get if you park on a hill and use the transmission to hold the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I have a 2018 Titan SV, yes I ALWAYS use the parking brake. I press brake, shift to neutral, engage parking brake, release brake pedal (this takes the entires weight of the truck off your transmission), then shift to park. However, I have done this in every vehicle I have owned, not just my 2 Titans, it eliminates that “clank” you get if you park on a hill and use the transmission to hold the vehicle.
Boom! Understand how your vehicle works and take care of it.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,337 Posts
We don't have hills. I don't use the hill brake for regular parking

·
Registered
2020 Baja Storm Titan Pro4x
18 Posts
I have used the parking brake ever since I wasn't paying attention and rolled into my garage door. Now I put on the parking brake be for I put it in park. I still have a dented door on the garage 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
143 Posts
8-10% is pretty steep. If i routinely parked on that hill I would use the parking brake.
Sounds like the parking pawl had failed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have ingrained it into my family that everyone has the use the parking brake when parking. I push the brake and come to a stop, move the transmission into park, engage the parking brake, and then at last take my foot off the brake. A slight variation to the sequence described in a previous post. In summary, use the parking brake whenever parked. Of course, it is a free country......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clearly this is not normal and shouldn't be happening parking brake or no parking brake.
As for parking brakes, in my 37+ years of driving I have only used them in commercial/heavy trucks.
That’s what I keep saying. Finally someone agrees with me. I Everyone else that I know that drives a pick truck here never uses the parking brake. I had this truck for about 2.5 years and it never did this. I wish I can post the video here but it won’t let me other than linking it to this site.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That’s what I keep saying. Finally someone agrees with me. I Everyone else that I know that drives a pick truck here never uses the parking brake. I had this truck for about 2.5 years and it never did this. I wish I can post the video here but it won’t let me other than linking it to this site.
If you are in the habit of not setting your parking brake when you park, you should be exercising it periodically, keep it in working order.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,337 Posts
Clearly this is not normal and shouldn't be happening parking brake or no parking brake.
As for parking brakes, in my 37+ years of driving I have only used them in commercial/heavy trucks.
or when driving a standard transmission vehicle

it shouldn't be rolling at all. that's the point of park. you cannot go under there and turn the driveshaft on other vehicles when they are in park. something is wrong internally to the transmission. park isn't like neutral or some super low gear where it turns really slowly when you are not looking. something is wrong

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,161 Posts
Sitting on ice?? Of course it will...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts