Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,100 Posts
1 wheel rolling backwards, 1 rolling forward. It's an open diff.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
First, I never said it should roll while in park. I said you should understand how vehicles are designed to work and act accordingly. Second, I also said I think you've broken the park pawl by not using the e-brake, and that's why it slips. But now I think you're just on ice and that's the entire issue. How about this: wait til the ice is gone,, park in your driveway, apply the parking brake, then get out. Bet you money the truck doesn't move from that spot.

I know. You don't use the parking brake. And it's causing you problems. As is the ice you're on, which is causing massive wheel spin, and that's why you're not holding position there. The fact that your passenger wheel was rolling opposite your driver's wheel makes me question whether you're in park at all, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say you broke your truck by misuse.

I'm out, man. You don't want advice or help. You want someone to blow sunshine so you feel like it's Nissan's fault your truck is broke. No amount of sunshine blowing is going to make that true, though.

Reactions: Steamguy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
First, I never said it should roll while in park. I said you should understand how vehicles are designed to work and act accordingly. Second, I also said I think you've broken the park pawl by not using the e-brake, and that's why it slips. But now I think you're just on ice and that's the entire issue. How about this: wait til the ice is gone,, park in your driveway, apply the parking brake, then get out. Bet you money the truck doesn't move from that spot.

I know. You don't use the parking brake. And it's causing you problems. As is the ice you're on, which is causing massive wheel spin, and that's why you're not holding position there. The fact that your passenger wheel was rolling opposite your driver's wheel makes me question whether you're in park at all, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say you broke your truck by misuse.

I'm out, man. You don't want advice or help. You want someone to blow sunshine so you feel like it's Nissan's fault your truck is broke. No amount of sunshine blowing is going to make that true, though.
I definitely appreciate your advice. I’m just trying to understand it that the issue just started and if the parking pawl is broken why didn’t the dealership address the issue. My truck is under warranty.They had the truck for a week there and came back with the answer that everything is working fine. As for that I am in park if you zoom in you can see the shift level all the way up and hear the clunk. I’m definitely not trying to convince you or want you to agree with me I’m just trying to find a solution for this problem. I appreciate your time in this.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,100 Posts
The pawl is not broken. Look at the rear tires. The truck is rolling backwards and the passenger tire is rotating forward. Any vehicle with an open diff will roll like that in those conditions. Positrack might hold but still could slip like that. Dry or wet pavement, the truck will not move. Ice and snow opens up a whole different can of worms. Put salt or sand down and get rid of the ice and your trouble will stop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sitting on ice?? Of course it will...
It appears the ice is allowing one rear wheel to turn in the opposite direction so I assume this would not happen (one wheel going backwards) if it was on a surface with grip. That still doesn't account for the truck rolling several feet in park. The wheels were turning... in park the drive wheels should be locked. Some kind of Nissan rear end voodoo? 🤪

Can you make another video of the truck not on ice or snow... does it still roll several feet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The pawl is not broken. Look at the rear tires. The truck is rolling backwards and the passenger tire is rotating forward. Any vehicle with an open diff will roll like that in those conditions. Positrack might hold but still could slip like that. Dry or wet pavement, the truck will not move. Ice and snow opens up a whole different can of worms. Put salt or sand down and get rid of the ice and your trouble will stop.
So is it normal for the truck to do that on ice with an open differential?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It appears the ice is allowing one rear wheel to turn in the opposite direction so I assume this would not happen (one wheel going backwards) if it was on a surface with grip. That still doesn't account for the truck rolling several feet in park. The wheels were turning... in park the drive wheels should be locked. Some kind of Nissan rear end voodoo? 🤪

Can you make another video of the truck not on ice or snow... does it still roll several feet?
I’ll keep you posted it

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,100 Posts
So is it normal for the truck to do that on ice with an open differential?

Yes sir. The emergency brake will help a lot. Nothing is foolproof on ice.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
334 Posts
Repeat after me, "My transmission is not a kickstand, I vow to use the parking brake at all times".

·
Registered
63 Posts
THAT was slipping on the ice. Even in park the diff will spin through (one side backwards) if you jack up both wheels, this is usuall why it falls off the jack as soon as ONE back tire leaves the ground. If just one back tire is on some ice, even in park, it could easily slip and appear to be rolling away.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts