Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the titan SV, and to put it lightly, the radio sucks. No bass, only 6 presets, tiny back up camera.... why would they put this in a nice truck. It's like a toss out from a 2005 economy car.

Is there another factory unit that is both better, and plug and play? I'd go aftermarket, but there doesn't seem to be a great option that retains the steering controls.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking for magic, just a bit of an upgrade. After reading all the nightmare posts here with shops not being able to figure it out, I'd like to see factory options first.

I know Rams can swap from a 5" to 8" with no problem. And my tacoma can go do it as well. Just looking for similar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a trailer brake controller. Honestly I could care less about navigation, I have a cell phone. I just want a slightly bigger backup camera, and a radio that doesn't look and sound 20 years old.
I just need someone to confirm if it's really a plug and play swap. Also what vehicles that unit came in. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I appreciate that, I haven't seen one thread here yet that was easily successful. In fact most threads here say even the pro shops couldn't figure out the steering wheel controls. I'm not willing to take the gamble, I just want a mild upgrade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone have a link to an actual thread that had a successful head unit install? Including all factory steering wheel options (gauge change, volume, cell...). I've searched and read over a dozen now, and they all seem like a headache with most having to sacrifice something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you do it, or is that a general comment? There are many posts here where they tried the "kits" to no success. There are tons of posts, first, second gen, and XD, where they did it and sacrificed the steering controls. Many threads where the big box stores and radio shops failed. Several where they used the kits, but the controls never worked like factory, or they had the headache of having to redo the mapping many times as they randomly reset.

I've been part of dozens of different forums. Guys love sharing successful write-ups. You can't tell me it's that easy and no one has actually mentioned it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be great, and I'm sure others would appreciate the write up. Unfortunately there are no good radio shops around here, I'm in BFE. Best buy is the closest thing, and I'm not trusting them again.

I just want a simple unit, same as I have, but with a bigger screen and a little better sound. I do realize the stock speakers are likely crap too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got off with Crutchfield. They do not have any units that can do all the factory features even with iData link. I have to choose between most of the steering controls, or the backup camera.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I chatted with Crutchfield again. Before I was asking about an in-dash unit, which limited selection. This time I asked about any style they have. They found some, that with adapters I should make most of the steering wheel buttons work. However, the factory camera will not, nor do they sell one that can be adapted. I'd also lose the aux and USB charging port.
I can't believe no companies have figured this all out yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't have an XD or have navigation and dual air. This is what I'm running up against. I've called and spoken to Crutchfield multiple times now and they don't have anything that is plug and play for a SV without the bells and whistles. I have to either give up the factory backup camera or the SWC and neither are an option for me. No offense, but the options on the titan are already a step down from my Tacoma, and I'm not willing to go further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts