Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, this is going to sound a bit weird but I’m wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows if it’s normal. I have an 18 SV crew cab 2 wheel drive. Love the truck but this one oddity has got me stumped. Fairly often, when driving in first thru third gear, the engine noise will about double. It sounds like the motor is reviving really high but the tach isn’t moving. It sound kinda like transmission slippage but the RPM aren’t increasing so it’s mot slipping. Acceleration seems slower when it does this as will. Doesn’t do it when I’m about 35-40 mph either. I’ve tried shifting it manually but that doesn’t help. Just hate the added noise and the lesser acceleration. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
I believe it’s the fan clutch and mine has done it twice recently. You hear a roar for a short time when accelerating after starting the truck.

Clint

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I guess a roar would be a good term for it but it seems to affect acceleration and shifting when it happens as well. It shifts at a higher RPM and acceleration isn’t as crisp. Mine also does it sometimes right at start up and sometimes after I’ve been driving for a while. Clint, do you think this is a defect or just normal operation?

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Before startup cold and after warm try to spin the fan manually, there should only be a light drag as opposed to very stiff or totally freewheeling, I think yours may be no good and it yousearch here or in the web for defective fan clutch there have been others with the issue. As I said mine just did it twice and I’m keeping an eye out for it, fast easy repair for them.

Clint

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Clint. I’ll check it out here in a few minutes. I’ll also check online and see what I can find about the problem!! That’s why I love this site!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes. I guess a roar would be a good term for it but it seems to affect acceleration and shifting when it happens as well. It shifts at a higher RPM and acceleration isn’t as crisp. Mine also does it sometimes right at start up and sometimes after I’ve been driving for a while. Clint, do you think this is a defect or just normal operation?
The fan clutch is electronically controlled. I had on of these go out on my XD.. Noticed the same issues you did until it finally got stuck on full engagement( fan running all the time). Sucked like half the power out of the truck and that fan is so big and strong if my XD had wings it would have flew!!!

The dealer replaced and all was good since.. You will want to take the tech on a test drive.

When I took mine in the tech stated it was normal as engine was warm. He never drove it. I took him for a ride and he was like “oh crap!!!” Now I know what you mean.... Its stuck on..and is was like 40 degrees outside...It shouldn't have been engaged at all....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KenedyTXTitan, thanks for the heads up. So it’s a control module that is most likely the issue? The weird thing is the truck does it mostly with the AC on. Doesn’t normally do it much if the AC is off. I know that sometimes that fan is going to come on, is it always going to sound like a 737 at take off when it’s supposed to come on or does fixing the control module keep you from noticing it like we do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the fan clutch on my 2017 replaced once already. It became engaged and was always roaring like a jet engine. However, if I turned the a.c. off, it would not do it. The fan clutch was replaced under warranty, but now the replacement (after a few thousand miles) is acting strange with intermittent "roars" from under the hood. Wonder if it is a computer control issue.

·
Registered
527 Posts
KenedyTXTitan, thanks for the heads up. So it’s a control module that is most likely the issue? The weird thing is the truck does it mostly with the AC on. Doesn’t normally do it much if the AC is off. I know that sometimes that fan is going to come on, is it always going to sound like a 737 at take off when it’s supposed to come on or does fixing the control module keep you from noticing it like we do?
It was the fan clutch itself that was bad..

·
Registered
527 Posts
Had the fan clutch on my 2017 replaced once already. It became engaged and was always roaring like a jet engine. However, if I turned the a.c. off, it would not do it. The fan clutch was replaced under warranty, but now the replacement (after a few thousand miles) is acting strange with intermittent "roars" from under the hood. Wonder if it is a computer control issue.
My xd was the same and got to the point when even turning the ac off wouldn't disengage the clutch...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So took my Titan into the dealer today to have the fan clutch/roaring engine looked at. Said they drove 3 other Titans there and they all did it. Just a characteristic of the Titan. Guess there is no chance that all three have the same issue! Guess I’m SOL unless they come out with a TSB or something of the sort.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So took my Titan into the dealer today to have the fan clutch/roaring engine looked at. Said they drove 3 other Titans there and they all did it. Just a characteristic of the Titan. Guess there is no chance that all three have the same issue! Guess I’m SOL unless they come out with a TSB or something of the sort.
Just watch it this winter..If its running fully engaged at temps below 50 to 60 degrees its definitely bad...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree that it shouldn’t run near as much as it does but how do you argue with the dealer over this? I’m assuming a lot of trucks have this issue so they see it often and think it “normal”. Plus I know this dealer doesn’t deal a lot with Titans. The weird part is three of their service techs have them so you would think they would have a clue.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I agree that it shouldn’t run near as much as it does but how do you argue with the dealer over this? I’m assuming a lot of trucks have this issue so they see it often and think it “normal”. Plus I know this dealer doesn’t deal a lot with Titans. The weird part is three of their service techs have them so you would think they would have a clue.
Your best bet would be to schedule a time to go for a ride with them in a different Titan and then yours to compare.. It only took a trip around the block to convince the tech mine wasn't normal..

If u can try another dealer..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts