Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SV 4x4 w/ Tow Package
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering how the 2018 Titan owners currently feel about their trucks.

I currently have a 2004 SE 4WD with tow package and am looking at getting a newer year Titan. I currently have my eyes on a 2018 SV 4WD with Tow package and 28K miles. In my research I came across a website that has the 2018 as a year to avoid due mainly to fuel system issues and wondered if that held any validity or if there were any other issues that I should be aware of or if it is as awesome of a truck as I want it to be.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,877 Posts
My 2017 is great. 4x4 with tow package.

Is it from a Nissan dealer so you can get as certified pre-owned and get an extended warranty?

That's how my 17 was and I didn't have any fuel system issues except the tank would fill slow and sound like bag pipes because the vent was plugged. They replaced it under warranty and zero noise now. And I had a one off oil pressure issue so they dropped a brand new engine in at 36k miles. At about 55k now and zero issues.

Love the truck. Looks awesome, performs awesome, drives great.

·
Registered
2018 Titan Pro4x CC
100 Posts
70k on my 2018 Pro4x CC. My only complaint is the interior courtesy lights suck. Hope to have that rectified with some LEDs that arrive this weekend. I also tow a 30ft , 7600lb travel trailer or a 21f bay boat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2017 is great. 4x4 with tow package.

Is it from a Nissan dealer so you can get as certified pre-owned and get an extended warranty?

That's how my 17 was and I didn't have any fuel system issues except the tank would fill slow and sound like bag pipes because the vent was plugged. They replaced it under warranty and zero noise now. And I had a one off oil pressure issue so they dropped a brand new engine in at 36k miles. At about 55k now and zero issues.

Love the truck. Looks awesome, performs awesome, drives great.
Good to hear. The one I'm looking at is through carmax and they have a pretty solid warranty, which is a big selling point for me.

I am curious what your oil pressure issue was. My '04 is having some oil pressure issues which is the push for me to update my ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
70k on my 2018 Pro4x CC. My only complaint is the interior courtesy lights suck. Hope to have that rectified with some LEDs that arrive this weekend. I also tow a 30ft , 7600lb travel trailer or a 21f bay boat.
Glad to hear you have no issues towing. I have a 26' 6700 lb camper trailer that I currently tow almost monthly. My 04 has the rear axle seal blow out issue due to poor axle vent design so everytime I tow I get anxious about whether or not I am going to blow a seal which frustrating to repair and pretty expensive nowadays.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering how the 2018 Titan owners currently feel about their trucks.

I currently have a 2004 SE 4WD with tow package and am looking at getting a newer year Titan. I currently have my eyes on a 2018 SV 4WD with Tow package and 28K miles. In my research I came across a website that has the 2018 as a year to avoid due mainly to fuel system issues and wondered if that held any validity or if there were any other issues that I should be aware of or if it is as awesome of a truck as I want it to be.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.
I think you will be at risk of getting a knocking engine. If u are dead set make sure to check carfax reports and dealer service history. If you are buying from a Nissan dealer and they say they can't or won’t pull the service history then run!!!

It breaks my heart as I have been a loyal supporter of the Titan since 04’.. But with these continued engine issues I no longer recommend them to anyone I like..

Nissan made some improvements to the engine in 2019 but some folks inclu

I have a 20’ Titan with 45k and no engine knock and a 21’ Armada with bit over 30k and has the engine knock…

Overall I generally like my 20’ but this will be my last Titan…

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you will be at risk of getting a knocking engine. If u are dead set make sure to check carfax reports and dealer service history. If you are buying from a Nissan dealer and they say they can't or won’t pull the service history then run!!!

It breaks my heart as I have been a loyal supporter of the Titan since 04’.. But with these continued engine issues I no longer recommend them to anyone I like..

Nissan made some improvements to the engine in 2019 but some folks inclu

I have a 20’ Titan with 45k and no engine knock and a 21’ Armada with bit over 30k and has the engine knock…

Overall I generally like my 20’ but this will be my last Titan…
Thanks for the input. I was just on the Engine Replacement Poll thread and looking at that data set it looks like almost a third of the Titans needed to be replaced. Will be looking for any knocking when I test drive and will absolutely take your advice and check the carfax. Hoping I get a good one. I would also be buying from carmax and the have a pretty good engine and drivetrain warranty but I will make sure that they would cover the engine replacement if I do end up running int that issue while it is under warranty.

I am not at the point on giving up on the titan yet. My 04 is at 227K and I have had it for 12 years and it has been an amazing truck. No major issues what so ever so I am remaining hopeful that I will land another good one.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a 2017 with 30k miles on it. No issues, no knocking and around 20 mpg average. Maybe it's true that a third of engines were replaced. I'm not sure of that and have not had any experience like it. I can say that those who had a bad engine were far more vocal about the poor ownership experience (rightly so btw) than those who's experience was satisfactory or better.

I'm past the OEM warranty and I have no regrets about going without any coverage at present. I bought this truck with the intent that I would keep it for 10 years and I'm more than halfway through and still happy with my decision.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2017 with 30k miles on it. No issues, no knocking and around 20 mpg average. Maybe it's true that a third of engines were replaced. I'm not sure of that and have not had any experience like it. I can say that those who had a bad engine were far more vocal about the poor ownership experience (rightly so btw) than those who's experience was satisfactory or better.

I'm past the OEM warranty and I have no regrets about going without any coverage at present. I bought this truck with the intent that I would keep it for 10 years and I'm more than halfway through and still happy with my decision.
I always plan to keep my trucks as long as mechanically possible, or in this case, until its no longer financially sound to keep repairing it. Life without a car payment is a sweet place to be. That's my longe term perspective for this next one also.

·
Registered
2019 Titan Pro 4X, 2005 Pathfinder
170 Posts
I would look to the 19 model year. More time left on factory warranty, plus the first year of Apple car play if you care about that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would look to the 19 model year. More time left on factory warranty, plus the first year of Apple car play if you care about that.
I've been shopping around for awhile and the pickins are slim when it comes to used supply at decent prices. The prices have definitely come down over the past few months, I'm sure due to gas prices,however most of the '19s I am coming across that meet what my minimum needs are (CC, 4x4, Tow package preferred but would due without for the right truck) are pretty far out of my price range or are in rough condition. I will keep my eyes out though. If I come across one before I pull the trigger on the 2018 I have my eyes on I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
5,877 Posts
Good to hear. The one I'm looking at is through carmax and they have a pretty solid warranty, which is a big selling point for me.

I am curious what your oil pressure issue was. My '04 is having some oil pressure issues which is the push for me to update my ride.
My idle would drop really low and the oil light would come on. They changed some stuff and it never came back up so they put a completely new engine in. Been super since

·
Registered
907 Posts
My 18 has been great. Had a bad tire from good year, and seat belt buckle put a hole in passenger seat...dealer took care of both. Only has 28k on it though. So far so good! 🤞 Wife actually drove it around neighborhood today, first time I was a spectator of my own truck...still think its the best look pu on the road looks wise...imo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 18 has been great. Had a bad tire from good year, and seat belt buckle put a hole in passenger seat...dealer took care of both. Only has 28k on it though. So far so good! 🤞 Wife actually drove it around neighborhood today, first time I was a spectator of my own truck...still think its the best look pu on the road looks wise...imo.
Great to hear. I hope my experience is the same. As far as looks go I agree. I have always liked how the titans look ever since they came out and my '04 Has been wonderful all 12 years I have had it. Just wanting that great experience again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My idle would drop really low and the oil light would come on. They changed some stuff and it never came back up so they put a completely new engine in. Been super since
Interesting. The oil pressure on my '04 has started dropping to the point that the light comes on when idling. It will drop for a few seconds then go back up to normal. When driving it will bounce around but since the RPMs are up it doesn't drop too low. There is no idle drop or change in the engine that I can detect, just the guage reading low and the light coming on for a second.

I really want it to be the oil pressure sending unit but I doubt I will get off that easy. Most likely going to end up being the oil pump. This is also the catalyst for me looking at getting something newer.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Don't let my negativity regarding the engine issue sway you completely.. Just know the risks.

I really do like my 20’… Even after receiving the 4th different safety recall notice on it…

1 - 20 of 54 Posts