Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone managed to get an aftermarket stereo installed in the 2nd gen Titan?

The infotainment unit in my new Titan is horrid.
-- The iPod resets and crashes every time it gets to 99% Indexing.
-- Bluetooth has popping sounds every few minutes (Galaxy Note 8)
-- NissanConnect is a joke/pointless.

Would love to get an aftermarket unit in, anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Haven't done an aftermarket and don't have an iPod, but while I agree NissanConnect is useless, I run a Galaxy Note 8 connected to my '17 S model via bluetooth all the time and don't have popping issues. Maybe there's an issue with your stock stereo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Ok, yeah, not sure what's going on with the Bluetooth. It works great, but every few minutes there is a click/pop sound, like an audio sync issue or something. I will mention to the dealer when I take it in next. I would guess they will have no clue either. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m looking at putting the Alpine ILX 107 for Apple CarPlay in my 2017 SV. I’ll post up when I get it sorted...
I had went to Best buy to install a radio in my 17 SV and they informed me I'll lose control of the screen by the gauges if I put in a new radio. In order to get a new radio be able to toggle between menues I would have to keep factory radio installed and wired somewhere in my truck

·
Registered
207 Posts
I said on here a long time ago that Nissan should have just scrapped the current Nissan Connect app and started fresh with something else. It looks like they created a massively buggy app and they have been trying to work the bugs out (unsuccessfully) ever since. The whole thing is a cobbled-together mess that doesn't seem to work for anyone. Yet, they still tout it and the dealers play dumb. I tried to use it a couple of years ago and I couldn't get the app to do anything at all.

Presumably, when the 2019 Titans come out with the Fender system, there will have to be a new app for it. Maybe Nissan got it right, finally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m looking at putting the Alpine ILX 107 for Apple CarPlay in my 2017 SV. I’ll post up when I get it sorted...
I wanted to add a new stereo as well but they advised me at Best buy that if I change it I'll lose the ability to control the info center by my gauges lemme know if they tell you they or of you find that out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Install scheduled for Monday/Tuesday next week...using an independent shop, going with a Kenwood DDX8905 instead of the Alpine. New speakers & two 8” subs. They asked me if I wanted to retain steering wheel controls which I said yes too. So it was an extra cost but I’m assuming I’ll have full functionality. I will confirm with them and let you know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dropped truck off, not sure if it will be done today or tomorrow - will have a set of stock speakers for sale after the install if anyone is interested. This is the unit I'm putting in:

Kenwood DDX8905

·
Registered
121 Posts
Picked up truck last night - new sound system and back-up camera installed:

- Kenwood DDX8905S Head unit
- ALPINE PWES8 8" powered subs x2
- ALPINE XS69C 6x9 speakers x 2
- ALPINE SS65 6x5 speakers x 2

All steering wheel controls work, looks great - sounds great and I haven't even gotten a chance to mess with equalizer and zone controls. They did have to use stock speaker brackets for the install, so junked the factory ones. The front doors were tough, but the speakers we chose fit just fine. The subs were just the right size to mount without blocking air flow to rear passengers....Pics below!

·
Registered
121 Posts
...and those worried about retaining steering wheel control/center gauge access - they added a Steering Wheel Control Interface for $89.99 / part number MET-ASWC1.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I went to 4-5 places - the vendor that installed it gave me the initial quote. Pricing was all over the board - I basically told them what head unit I wanted and what they'd put together for me. I had quotes from $2100-$3800. None of them hooked me up like the original shop did - they gave me way more for the money and spent 11 hours installing it all. Out the door $2500.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to 4-5 places - the vendor that installed it gave me the initial quote. Pricing was all over the board - I basically told them what head unit I wanted and what they'd put together for me. I had quotes from $2100-$3800. None of them hooked me up like the original shop did - they gave me way more for the money and spent 11 hours installing it all. Out the door $2500.
Thank you SO much for blazing the trail here! Looks like I may do the same, how do you like the Kenwood? Any complaints?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Only had it a day and still tinkering but love it. Lots of functionality, loads of sound options, screen angle options, boosted and clear sound...recommended!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Happy to share...There are some really good head units for a lot less they will still give better than stock sound & functionality. Drop one in with a single sub and you’d still have a much better stereo.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Did you lose any functionality at all?

Still have the backup camera video?

Does the USB port in the dash below the stereo still work? I have a tiny physical size 32 GB USB thumb drive stuck in there with all my MP3's on it. Wouldn't probably need that anymore, but prob would want the charging capability.

Any quirks?

Tks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you lose any functionality at all?

Still have the backup camera video?

Does the USB port in the dash below the stereo still work? I have a tiny physical size 32 GB USB thumb drive stuck in there with all my MP3's on it. Wouldn't probably need that anymore, but prob would want the charging capability.

Any quirks?

Tks.
I added a back-up camera, my 2017 did not have one. I see no reason why they couldn't plug your factory one into the aftermarket one, they connect the same way. The usb port in dash I have not tried to be honest, but I will get back to you on that. No quirks at all - if you want to play audio from a non-AppleCarPlay/Android Auto supported app, it just over rides it and plays via bluetooth.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice audio system DirtyApe. A lot more than I wanted to spend, I miss the days you could get a killer stereo for a far less money! I had a Clarion Pro audio system in a car, digital system processor with adjustable crossovers, echo (also adjustable) and system eq, two Bazooka tubes, 1,000 watt amp (Orion) and Boston Acoustic speakers for around $1500. I always bought from the stereo warehouses in NY in the back of my auto mags, and saved a ton of money. Now that everyone has to have touch screens, and large readouts with the truck wired into it, aftermarket audio is about done. You system does look really good, and once you figure out how to use it (LOL) I'm sure it will be a lot better than stock.--SC

1 - 20 of 120 Posts