Nissan Titan Forum banner

2019 Titan I bought new with only about 4,700 miles still seems to be blowing alot of exhaust smoke. Never really stopped since brand new.

2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  busemans 
#1 ·
So I bought the Titan new from the local Nissan dealer. It had like 50 miles on it because I think they drove it to test the lift kit they put on or whatever or maybe a test drive by someone. It had heavy enough smoke I called when it only had a few hundred miles about it and dealer said because it's new it will smoke until it burns off the oils from being a new engine. It should stop after maybe 500-100 miles. After 1000 miles it never stopped I called again I guess hoping they put notes on my file incase it turned out to be a problem.

Long story short i'm coming up on 5k miles and it is still blowing quite a bit of white smoke. Enough to where you can't even really stand on the one side of it. It fills up my front yard pretty much while warming it up. Is this maybe from the cold weather now or condensation? Should I be getting it checked out or whats the thoughts?

#8 ·
Since i bought it new I have not bothered to check the fluids myself (under 5k miles) I took it in for one oil change since new and will be taking it in every 6 months to keep the warranty in good terms. I may try to smell the smoke tomorrow and check fluid levels. it seems to be fine aside from excess smoke. It just seems wrong that i cant even stand near that side or area of the truck when it is running and the immediate area is a cloud. Normally a person could leave a truck running and stand around the bed shooting the poop with people.

#11 ·
If the smoke is white, it's likely water. If it's blueish-white, it's likely oil, but the smell will tell you for sure. Either way, you should keep an eye on your fluids (oil, tranny and antifreeze) at a minimum and let the dealership know if your Titan is consuming a lot.

#12 ·
It had heavy enough smoke I called when it only had a few hundred miles about it and dealer said because it's new it will smoke until it burns off the oils from being a new engine. It should stop after maybe 500-100 miles.
That's BS.
A new engine shouldn't smoke. Modern engines are broken in already.
You're close enough now take it into its first oil change and tell them it's got a problem. And if they don't think it's a problem take it to another dealer There's definitely something wrong with this truck. Is it gas or diesel and what year is it?

#15 ·
I'll buy that. Tons of smoke will be normal in certain conditions. I just don't think it emits clouds constantly like the OP says. It would be out of some kind of fluid quickly. It also won't boil smoke when it's 75* outside either. There's more to this story.

Reactions: busemans
#18 · (Edited)
So I guess they found the problem that causes lots of owners to have their engine replaced while doing this extensive break in procedure and said nothing about it. They don't "dyno" every engine either. They may give it a quick spin to make sure nothing flies apart.

#23 ·
It was a rhetorical question. I did not call you out specifically, but since you couldn't hold yourself from responding.
70000 posts in 13 years and you haven't contributed a single piece of orignal content to this board. Not 1 topic started in all that time, not even a welcome mat post. That's 15 posts/day and many of them snarky and condescending with little contribution to the topic. If you can't add something to the discussion that's helpful and do it in a respectful manner then just be quiet.

#27 ·
If it is smoking that much it's bound to be loosing coolant or oil . I would be checking on them at every fill up to be sure they don't get low. If if they do tell the dealer it's not normal and not give you any BS . I have bought several new cars in my life and none of the smoked . Don't let the dealer tell you it's normal may have get hold of a higher power ; )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.