Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that the right-front speaker on the dash has a tear in it. It buzzes really bad when I play books on CD or talk on the phone. I was able to pry the front of the speaker cover up and look at it (I have the plastic pry bars for working on interior panels) and I think I see a tear in the foam around the edge of the cone. The problem is that I can't easily get the cover entirely off. It looks like it lips under the dash to the left and I can't easily get the right corner up closest to the window.

I know the rational response would be to say that it is under warranty and just take it back to the dealer. But, I just recently came out of a bad experience with a 2018 Ford F150 and It's like the nightmare is starting all over again. It's the whole reason I now have a Titan.

Here's the story, if you care to read it: My 2018 F150 had the common problem of the latches and locks inside the door freezing. I had it in the garage 4 times to have it fixed. It was a several day job each time. On one of those occasions they butchered all 4 door panels and I had to deal with Ford Corporate to get them replaced. Also, they damaged a door and it needed to be repainted. But this isn't all! When I was towing my camper to the beach last summer the air conditioner died on the way there. We had to wait until we got back home to get it fixed. The heater box behind the dash needed to be replaced. This required another week in the shop an the entire dashboard had to be removed to fix it. Needless to say, it was never the same as new.

I never, never, never want to repeat this experience. I want to make sure nobody damages my dash to fix the speaker.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to remove the speaker cover or how to deal with Nissan corporate to get this resolved? I wonder if they would agree to contract the warranty work out to a local shop that specializes in car stereos and security systems?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Not what you want to hear, but take it to the dealer. Just find a dealer you trust, express your concerns, and take pics of your interior before so if you have issues, you have documentation. Repairs are always a dice roll. But my local dealership is pretty good. I don't use them for much now that I'm out of warranty, but when under, they were pretty good.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Two suggestions:
1. Get replacement speakers from Crutchfield and they will also assist you in trim removal tips. I understand your reluctance to let the dealer touch your truck.
2. This "should" be such a simple job that the dealer may not screw things up. At least get them to look at it and have the part ordered. This gives you some time to investigate the cover removal (YouTube etc.). When the part comes in, take the truck to them with the cover removed.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Maybe a dab of super glue in that spot would fix it but if it is under warranty go to the dealer and have them replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
964 Posts
Don't let a past bad experience make you fearful of any warranty work. You've paid thousands of dollars for your Titan and part of that money is for the warranty. Call and talk with a couple of Nissan dealerships in your area and don't screw with the speaker any longer, lest you cause damage that won't be covered by warranty. If you lived in Denver, CO I'd suggest a few dealers to go through, so maybe you want to post up your location and see if any TT folks have any suggestions.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Dealer might be a good idea ... not sure about the newer Titans but Nissan used to use speakers that are NOT 8 ohm like most replacement ones are. If you put in the wrong speaker the system will not work right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts