Nissan Titan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
^ Yes and no, they do seem to be solid built, but they are designed to fall apart on impact. A guy on here a while ago hit a deer with one, it did a ton of damage.
As long as I get to walk away and the dealers have a replacement truck, it’s all good by me.

Clint

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Titan did well in the IIHS crash test posted earlier. With the standard safety suite of features added to the 2020's, they should come out tops.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
334 Posts
I figure this might get some people a little bent out of shape, but they'll get over it. Advanced notice, please no lectures from anyone climbing up on their high horse about my driving. Everything was done to posted limits* and with safety in mind.

Driving home the other night after a long day working. There was some slight traffic, but not what it used to be pre-Covid. I pull up to a relatively long light, 5 lanes, 2 left turn lanes and 3 straight lanes. I was in the far right lane which has a 1/4 mile lead up before you're forced to make a right. Knowing this, I pull up to the lane and see an annoying "ironing board" spoiler to my left (in the center lane) and the obnoxious sound of a poorly tuned popcorn popper. The profile was that of a previous generation wrx and I thought to myself, "I'll get him to get on it so that I can slide in behind him as I just need to have enough room to get over". So the light goes green, and I give it a little gas, not floored, but enough to let the popcorn popper hear the growl of something with a little hair on its chest. Sure enough, Orville fartcannonbacher gets on it and I'm able to slide behind him. The dingus took it much faster than he needed, I guess in an attempt to establish a pecking order.

As we approach the next light, I'm sitting behind him and at the last minute, I see him get over a lane (the two lanes were open) and my guess is he wants to try and establish his dominance again. This time, I figured I'd go ahead and give it a much more deliberate run. Having already spun the rear tires before, I had a pretty good feel on how to roll into the throttle and make the best out of what traction an empty truck bed could muster. Feeling the tension, I'm looking for the light start to go yellow from the perpendicular street. Just then I see a minivan make a right turn in front of us. As is the case, the minivan took a wide right turn from my right and got in the far left lane (where the wrx had moved into). A few moments pass, the minivan gets about 2 blocks in front and the light begins to go yellow for cross traffic. I thought, "if I can get the hole shot, he'll have to contend with that minivan". Light goes green and I roll into the throttle. I didn't hear any squeal, but that might've been because Orville was really flaming those kernels. I'm side by side, and stab the throttle a little more. The transmission was initially trying to shift out of 2nd, but hung onto the gear a little longer, like that crazy aunt that hasn't seen you in years. At 40 MPH I'm right there with him, he maybe has a bumper on me, but the V8 begins to show its nature as his 4-banger is forced into a shift. In an instant, we're feet from the minivan, but his 4-banger just didn't have enough to overtake me in time to get past me. As I begin to pass the minivan, I settle into the posted speeds (ok ok, maybe 5 err 10 MPH over the posted speed). The wrx tucks in behind me as we start to come up on more traffic. I go ahead and swing into the left lane, thinking that the wrx was going to follow suit and look for a rematch. Nope, he's content with sitting behind another vehicle that was on the right hand lane. I guess his popcorn had been popped.

I couldn't help but laugh considering how much fuss his car was making to get beat off the line by a much bigger vehicle. I probably would've let him have his little victory at the previous light, but when he changed lanes at the last minute, as if to try and egg me on again, I figured what the hell, let's see what this 5.6 is made of. I guess mine is made of popcorn, as you are what you eat. Again, please keep your flaming to yourself. I know the drill, "you were dangerous, you were blah blah blah...." Life is chocked full of danger, but now I know what this thing will do if I find myself in a situation that calls for evasive maneuvers.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I figure this might get some people a little bent out of shape, but they'll get over it. Advanced notice, please no lectures from anyone climbing up on their high horse about my driving. Everything was done to posted limits* and with safety in mind.

Driving home the other night after a long day working. There was some slight traffic, but not what it used to be pre-Covid. I pull up to a relatively long light, 5 lanes, 2 left turn lanes and 3 straight lanes. I was in the far right lane which has a 1/4 mile lead up before you're forced to make a right. Knowing this, I pull up to the lane and see an annoying "ironing board" spoiler to my left (in the center lane) and the obnoxious sound of a poorly tuned popcorn popper. The profile was that of a previous generation wrx and I thought to myself, "I'll get him to get on it so that I can slide in behind him as I just need to have enough room to get over". So the light goes green, and I give it a little gas, not floored, but enough to let the popcorn popper hear the growl of something with a little hair on its chest. Sure enough, Orville fartcannonbacher gets on it and I'm able to slide behind him. The dingus took it much faster than he needed, I guess in an attempt to establish a pecking order.

As we approach the next light, I'm sitting behind him and at the last minute, I see him get over a lane (the two lanes were open) and my guess is he wants to try and establish his dominance again. This time, I figured I'd go ahead and give it a much more deliberate run. Having already spun the rear tires before, I had a pretty good feel on how to roll into the throttle and make the best out of what traction an empty truck bed could muster. Feeling the tension, I'm looking for the light start to go yellow from the perpendicular street. Just then I see a minivan make a right turn in front of us. As is the case, the minivan took a wide right turn from my right and got in the far left lane (where the wrx had moved into). A few moments pass, the minivan gets about 2 blocks in front and the light begins to go yellow for cross traffic. I thought, "if I can get the hole shot, he'll have to contend with that minivan". Light goes green and I roll into the throttle. I didn't hear any squeal, but that might've been because Orville was really flaming those kernels. I'm side by side, and stab the throttle a little more. The transmission was initially trying to shift out of 2nd, but hung onto the gear a little longer, like that crazy aunt that hasn't seen you in years. At 40 MPH I'm right there with him, he maybe has a bumper on me, but the V8 begins to show its nature as his 4-banger is forced into a shift. In an instant, we're feet from the minivan, but his 4-banger just didn't have enough to overtake me in time to get past me. As I begin to pass the minivan, I settle into the posted speeds (ok ok, maybe 5 err 10 MPH over the posted speed). The wrx tucks in behind me as we start to come up on more traffic. I go ahead and swing into the left lane, thinking that the wrx was going to follow suit and look for a rematch. Nope, he's content with sitting behind another vehicle that was on the right hand lane. I guess his popcorn had been popped.

I couldn't help but laugh considering how much fuss his car was making to get beat off the line by a much bigger vehicle. I probably would've let him have his little victory at the previous light, but when he changed lanes at the last minute, as if to try and egg me on again, I figured what the hell, let's see what this 5.6 is made of. I guess mine is made of popcorn, as you are what you eat. Again, please keep your flaming to yourself. I know the drill, "you were dangerous, you were blah blah blah...." Life is chocked full of danger, but now I know what this thing will do if I find myself in a situation that calls for evasive maneuvers.
I feel these trucks have extra governing the 1st 5000 miles.. For me it seems after 5000 miles she really opened up.. I know our trucks are quicker than Ram and it seems most Ford eco crap as well..

Not that I go out trying to race everyone but here in South Texas it seems every Ford and Ram guy attempts to prove their trucks are faster and sometimes I gotta shut them up...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I feel these trucks have extra governing the 1st 5000 miles.. For me it seems after 5000 miles she really opened up.. I know our trucks are quicker than Ram and it seems most Ford eco crap as well..

Not that I go out trying to race everyone but here in South Texas it seems every Ford and Ram guy attempts to prove their trucks are faster and sometimes I gotta shut them up...
And, if anyone is looking at the V6 from Ford, I remind them that Ford pipes in fake engine sounds from the stereo to make the truck sound more visceral. Not sure if Nissan does the same for the Titan, but at least there's a V8 where it matters.

Oh and yeah I don't actively look to race everything out there, this once instance though, I was curious to see what the Titan would do, and she definitely didn't disappoint.

·
Registered
226 Posts

It's no joke. My buddy's 6.2 TrailBoss still gets me sometimes, its neck and neck every time. But over a distance the 6.2 takes off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
And I bet he is pissed as heck his overpriced by $10k plus truck can barely squeeze by you!!!
Haha yes. After the installation of the Borla cat back about a month ago its even closer in short distances but the longer distance/higher mph runs he takes off, but he is governed at 112 then flat lines, I still don't know what this Titan is governed at but its more than 112.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I see blatant transparency here, and that is a good thing. We don't need closet kid's who are grown up's and closet grown up's that are really kids. :)
But there are always some fuddy duddies in the mix too. ;)

I thought that was a GNX in your avatar, which if it was I would assume you're one of those kidults you speak of :p

I worked with a guy that had a GNX, and that thing was what you'd expect Darth Vader to be driving around in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was thinking the GM trucks were limited to 99mph...
I know once upon a time late 90's early 00's they were, I remember a Tahoe I used to ride in back in the day that was limited to 99. But this 2020 6.2 TrailBoss is definitely 112, at 112 the digital speedometer blinks maximum speed reached and he says he can feel it call it quits in the pedal.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
My home boy has a 5.3l trailboss that calls it quits at 99 mph...

I will say with the 10 speed it does a good job staying within viewing distance of my Titan...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Maybe they bumped it up for the 6.2? And yeah that 10 speed is nice, for now. Thats the only thing I envy about it, his first 3 gears are smooth as butter and aren't choppy like the Titan. The first 3 gears on my truck reminds me of all the 6 speed 370z videos I watch and the shift from 1 to 2 and sometimes 3rd always always chirps the tires, but after that when I hit 4th and above its just as smooth as his 10 speed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
GM nailed the shift programming on the 10 speed they jointly developed with Ford..

Ford is still struggling with their shift logic.. Its hard to believe they are the same transmission...

101 - 120 of 135 Posts