Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still a prospective buyer. I'm down between this truck and a Palisade. I really don't want a 3rd row SUV again, it's all I've had. But I do like that most are quiet and comfortable on the highway. We moved to TX and drive back to KS about every other month. I need a vehicle that is quiet and comfortable for that 12 hour drive. I mean no wind noise, no vibration and *** can stay in seat longer than 4 hours.

In your honest opinion does the 21 P4X fit this? I've done a test drive but I can't test drive for a 12 hour trip, so I'm looking for first hand experiences.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
where you guys at? san Antonio?

my wife and i did an 8 hour in our truck and it was great. no back pain or anything. its very comfortable.

no wind noise unless i am driving into a 20-30 mph headwind. and when i say no, i mean not anything bad. all cars have wind noise but the titan is very quiet compared to lots of things i have driven in the past

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup SATX. Our quiet test has been a 16 yukon but it came at a cost of vibration and buffeting. The our Traverse was just an absolute pile. I traded it in with an exhaust rusting off at 45k miles. It also had a new transmission, all new door trim, new ecu, 3 sets of front axles, and a new infotainment screen.

I know not to expect Audi Q7 quiet but we like to talk on low volume and kids listen to their tablets.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
i have the volume on the radio set at 2-3 when i drive mine around. in my old vehicles i would have to urn it up a lot to hear over the wind noise.

you at fort sam? just wondering since both the states you talked about have bases

·
Registered
35 Posts
We just finished our 7200 mile trip. Both of our Titans, 2018 (totalled), 2021. We find the seats very comfortable but I have read that a small percentage do not like the seating. With all the safety equipment on our truck all I had to do was keep it between the lines. The truck would come to a stop if needed and cruise up to the cruise control setting. Our longest drive was about 11 hours no aches or pains our Mercedes never as comfortable as the Titan. Gas mileage was a little harsh about 20mpg but it is a truck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. I guess that’s pure coincidence lol. Have zero military back ground. Born and raised in KS and then moved here for a job offer last year.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro4X
489 Posts
Still a prospective buyer. I'm down between this truck and a Palisade. I really don't want a 3rd row SUV again, it's all I've had. But I do like that most are quiet and comfortable on the highway. We moved to TX and drive back to KS about every other month. I need a vehicle that is quiet and comfortable for that 12 hour drive. I mean no wind noise, no vibration and *** can stay in seat longer than 4 hours.

In your honest opinion does the 21 P4X fit this? I've done a test drive but I can't test drive for a 12 hour trip, so I'm looking for first hand experiences.
Sounds like you're ready for a truck. Your comparison is two totally different vehicles. We looked at the Palisade not too long ago (as well as the Telluride). Very nice SUV's. But they are not trucks. The Pro4x in stock form is hands down one of the quietest trucks I've ever been in. The radio is very nice - especially the Fender version. No road noise for phone calls, voice-2-text, etc. No joke, and the seats are very comfortable, best I've ever sat in. I generally drive 25-35k miles / year and after long trips in this truck, my back doesn't hurt and my shoulders don't hurt. Comparing it to F150 King Ranch, Chevy Silverado, and F250 6.7L, it is more quiet and more comfortable. Lots of pluses here, the warranty, the offroad capability, the towing, the bed, etc...

By the way, if you get a good retractable / rollup bedcover, you have a giant secure cargo area.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the '21 Pro4x and a '18 GLC300. The GLC300 is miles more comfortable to drive. Having said that, for a truck the Pro4x is a comfortable truck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been a Titan owner since 2012, we currently have the 2012 with 137k miles on it and just last week bought a new 2021 Pro4x. Prior to buying the new Titan I was dead set on buying an SUV. I drove the Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Acura MDX, Ford Explorer ST, Genesis GV80, BMW X5 and Toyota 4Runner. I really liked the ability to stow all our crap in the way back of a large SUV and have room for the kiddo and dogs in the back seats. We tried to buy a few of the other vehicles (namely the JCG Trailhawk and MDX) however there was absolutely ZERO wiggle room in the prices... no one would budge at all. It was surprising. So we went back to the Nissan dealership and the same Red Alert Pro4x that we'd test driven a few times prior was still there... we took it as a sign and bought it.

I've taken our old Titan across country 8 times from TX to FL, CO and AZ... it was fantastic road trip vehicle, quiet, comfy, good audio system etc. The only real drawback was needing to store all our luggage in the backseat with the kiddo. That's the one big drawback for me, I don't mind the mileage issue. With this new Titan, we're going to buy a bedcap and just throw everything back there but that's a significant added cost and frankly (IMO) takes away from the aesthetics some. It's going to Colorado in 2 weeks and then will be headed back to St. Augustine, FL in July... so we'll get some good long road trips in soon.

After putting about 350 miles on it this week my initial impressions are as follows:
  • While not much bigger overall than our 2012, it feels huge
  • The Pro4x has a stiffer ride than our 2012 on Bilstein 5100s around town and on broken pavement - could just be that it's brand new and the suspension needs 'breaking in'
  • Highway drive is very smooth (but definitely not as smooth as the Telluride or Palisade) and has the best adaptive cruise control I've used yet
  • Very minimal wind noise, though I can hear some from the side mirrors if there is a head wind
  • Very comfy seats though I can't get lumbar adjustment perfect yet
  • Excellent audio system, the Fender speakers have good base great clarity
  • I love the 360 overhead camera, helps you know exactly where all the corners are while parking such a large vehicle
  • Perfect mix of touchscreen and hard buttons (I really didn't like how some brands you had to do everything within the touchscreen)
  • Transmission is a PIA around town but is great on the highway - I can't wait for the shift fix to be available on the 2021s
  • The engine is fantastic - great power, sounds excellent even with stock exhaust - it does have a very loud idle though, not too sure if that's common or not, may have it looked at
  • Excellent storage for long trips with spaces galore to store crap for the kids (there's like 12 cupholders!)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

I had a 17’ SL and that thing rode like a caddy!!!

Pro4x isn't bad but there are better options plus the SL or Platinum reserve will return much better gas mileage…

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a 17’ SL and that thing rode like a caddy!!!

Pro4x isn't bad but there are better options plus the SL or Platinum reserve will return much better gas mileage…
I looked but two things, I don't like the brown and overall look of the platinum, and the SL is more expensive around here. My deal on the P4X with all 3 packages + kick plate, mud flaps, step bars, and rear seat ent is 50,157.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone have issues with the paint quality? I just had flashbacks to my 2013 maxima and remember the paint peel and large flakes on the front bumper.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I looked but two things, I don't like the brown and overall look of the platinum, and the SL is more expensive around here. My deal on the P4X with all 3 packages + kick plate, mud flaps, step bars, and rear seat ent is 50,157.
Be sure to spend some time on the hwy during your test drive to ensure it meets your needs..

If something doesn't feel right then run. Don't think for a moment the dealer will be able to fix it for u..

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
947 Posts
I will be honest, some of the sweeping bumps on the highways here, the P4X doesn't really like those slight "rolling dips". But, it's also meant to go off-road and I think it does a decent job of compromising. The Platinum Reserve may be more to your calling, which I believe is a few thousand more than a comparable P4X. And I must say, and practically must insist, get the moonroof as it'll also include the cooled seat option. Trust me 100% on this. Those long trips without getting up with swamp-***, on your very first trip during the hot months, you will wonder how you ever lived without the feature. I kick myself every time I take my P4X out for an extended drive in the summer. Fortunately, I have another vehicle that's a great touring vehicle, which honestly I prefer on the open road.

Is this dealership nearby?

What about these? https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...NEMENT&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28880&zc=78109

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be honest, some of the sweeping bumps on the highways here, the P4X doesn't really like those slight "rolling dips". But, it's also meant to go off-road and I think it does a decent job of compromising. The Platinum Reserve may be more to your calling, which I believe is a few thousand more than a comparable P4X. And I must say, and practically must insist, get the moonroof as it'll also include the cooled seat option. Trust me 100% on this. Those long trips without getting up with swamp-***, on your very first trip during the hot months, you will wonder how you ever lived without the feature. I kick myself every time I take my P4X out for an extended drive in the summer. Fortunately, I have another vehicle that's a great touring vehicle, which honestly I prefer on the open road.

Is this dealership nearby?

What about these? https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...NEMENT&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28880&zc=78109
It is but I’m not a fan of the brown. I don’t mind the bumps, I may have misspoke in my post I don’t mines the bumpiness and the shock setup, I expect it with the off-road I was more focused on seat comfort and cabin noise like wind noise around the windows. Those are my 2 bigges pet peeves. Both GMs had wind noise and drove me nuts.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It is but I’m not a fan of the brown. I don’t mind the bumps, I may have misspoke in my post I don’t mines the bumpiness and the shock setup, I expect it with the off-road I was more focused on seat comfort and cabin noise like wind noise around the windows. Those are my 2 bigges pet peeves. Both GMs had wind noise and drove me nuts.
U really need to test drive one. I think the seats and cabin quietness is really good..

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
947 Posts
The brown interior? I initially didn't like it, but I think black is such a heatsoak when it comes to the sun's rays. I figure brown will probably absorb a lot of the heat, but I don't suspect as much. The seats themselves are good. I won't lie but I do wish there was more lateral support, but I think that it may be different for long trips. I know a lot of people hate being locked into a specific driving position for extended driving, so these seats may prove great. I'll still beat it in, get the vented seats, you'll thank me later! ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 2020 Pro4x, and my last truck was a 2017 Platinum Reserve. I did 3 multi-week 3000+ mile trips in my platinum reserve, and the seats were amazing. So far the longest stretch I've done in my 2020 was just between 2-3 hours, and I can already say that the seats in my Pro4x are definitely not as comfy as the ones in the platinum were. Hopefully this summer can load up the family and do another big trip, but I think I will miss the seats from my last truck when we go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I won't lie but I do wish there was more lateral support,
That is a big one. The lack of lateral support is evident when you switch out of another vehicle and get in the Titan. Expected for a truck but worth noting.

Also, when comparing to most vehicles another compromise with a truck would be concrete surfaces. The truck will bounce on concrete highways where most vehicles do not have this behavior on the same surface.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts