Nissan Titan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What you do is you get the price you want from the dealership (shotgun email with a spam email account --- as I'm still getting constant emails from dealerships I talked to 4-5 years ago-- to as many dealerships in your area is how I do it, let them all know that you're looking at several dealerships so that their competitive juices start flowing) and when you get the price you want, say "You know I've heard and seen bad reviews about Nissan's paint, can you throw in a 3M clear bra for free?" near the end of negotiations, or hell just ask them if they can have it ceramic wrapped for you. Dealerships will try to throw stuff in near the end, kind of like when they try to slap you with maintenance agreements and undercoating. I personally can't see them not going for at least throwing in the 3M clear bra for free. I had them put one on mine, and I've already found a spot where something hit the film, but didn't do much damage to the hood.

I would do that and I have in the past, but the last time I did it on the yukon, whoever the dealer used was bad. There’s a place down the street that is highly rated and recommended from my house, so I’d rather drive it home and then just let them do it. Also, the dealer I have a price lined up for is 2.5 hours away as is, any warranty work would prob have to be taken all the way out there.

·
Read Only
32 Posts
I'd never buy a used vehicle again! I would prefer not to sit in somebody's swamp ***! Or an occasional booger, a menstrual cycle and possibly hemorrhoids. Good grief, see what happens when you point out something gross. LOL!!!!

I hear ya on the brown leather interior though. Nissan stole that from Ford's King Ranch! Just like the tailgate appliques on some of the other Ford models. Why not? The Ford's the best selling truck in America! But after owning a few Ford's, I can honestly say the Ford rode better. It only my opinion!

But come on! Your comparing apples to oranges here fellas. A PRO 4X is an off-road edition with a heavier and stiffer suspension. This is like a Jeep Rubicon owner complaining about comfort and ride quality. The truck was built to compete with the Raptor, TRX and Trail Boss.

If your set on buying a Pick-up truck! Narrowed it down to a Nissan Titan! Then expect it to be comfortable on long trips. The PRO 4X isn't the truck for you! You'll be better off with the Platinum Reserve with those 20" tires and a more refined appearance. There's a trade off so it's time to accept the facts.

Let's be honest! An investment in a truck shouldn't be about comfort, ride quality or gas mileage. There's better options out there! Or you can utilize the aftermarket to customize your ride probably at a considerable expense. That will put you at the same price point as the more expensive competitors.

Maybe the best compromise is to park that PRO 4X at the airport and fly. You'll still have a component off-roader and every day driver. Without a bunch of vacation mileage which lessons the value when it comes time to sell or trade in. It's bad enough dealing with the knit wits in our very own communities. Yet alone idiots across the country!

Plus with flying! Your there in hours not days on a three thousand mile road trip. Hopefully, with no swamp ***!

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
Yup. Pro4 won't be the smoothest ride of the titans. My sv 4x4 probably rides smoother because I don't have those Bilstein shocks. Not sure if the 20s will make the ride smoother though since you have less tire wall to absorb bumps.

I have the 20s is why I say that. Not that a 275/60 is a particularly short side wall on a tire. It's still a good size but not as much as the 18 tire on the pro4. Those are 70 or 75 sides, right? They should flex alot more when hitting bumps if the pressure is not too high

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I’ll honestly prob start flying back home more. It’s been easier driving because the covid restrictions messed up the flight schedule + kids are not wanting to wear masks for too long.

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
remove the rear sway sway bar, set the tire psi to appropriate pressure. Go pro4x cause its the best looking appearance package. Lets be honest, those bilsteins aren't terrible but one serious off-road trip and they're fried. replace with Kings. remove front sway bar after the Kings go on. PLUSHHHHHHHH

titans still ride like trucks, i drove an f150 for a day, felt like a dang car. No thanks. I love my f250 but some day i'll be back in a titan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Was purchasing weekend and got pneumonia, 1 week hospital stay forced me to miss rebates. Titan purchase on hold now. Fml

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
947 Posts
Was purchasing weekend and got pneumonia, 1 week hospital stay forced me to miss rebates. Titan purchase on hold now. Fml
That's a shame. I couldn't remember who posted about needing something that was good on the highway. I took a recent 15 hour road trip (7.5 each way) and posted my take in my "clash" thread. It's a bit lengthy but is my full take. I really enjoyed the adaptive cruise control on the way there, which I never thought I'd use, but for long distance, not so congested driving, it proved useful. Good luck with whatever you decide and hopefully you're close to 100%.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
dang, that's a bummer. hopefully you can still get a good deal somewhere when you are ready again

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good luck with your recovery, hope you're back to feeling good soon.

I just got back from a 2.5k mile road trip from the flat Gulf Coast area to southern Colorado and have some more thoughts now that I've got a lot more time in the truck. When we left the truck only had about 750 miles on it, so my time driving it had been quite limited. Lots of positives, a few negatives and some other random thoughts.

- Seats are very comfy and really I had no issues at all for the entire 32 hours of driving (out and back) other than a slightly stiff neck at the end of the return trip. Best road trip seats I've been in yet. The seat heater on low was amazing... I really think that helped with the comfort aspect.

- Adaptive cruise was nice most of the time but TWICE it almost got me rear ended at highway speeds because it braked very hard when someone changed lanes quickly in front of me. I am going to look for a way to completely turn off the adaptive aspect because the second time was very close to being a very bad situation as the person behind me very nearly hit me. Then as they passed me they were clearly pissed at me thinking it was my fault when in reality the truck did it all... awkward and unsafe situation. I stopped using it after that whenever there were several vehicles around me.

- Adaptive cruise also does not help with the gas mileage at all. :) I had multiple times when someone in front of me would move over and the truck would gun it to catch back up to my cruising speed... multiple times going over 4k - 5k rpms for several seconds just to get my back to my preset speeds. Just to level set, I drive like an old man at around 4-5mph over the speed limit.

- Gas mileage was all over the place. I had anywhere from 15.8mpg on a tank to 20.6mpg on a tank. Granted, I went from sea level to 9.5k elevation and changed up fuel octanes during the trip but that's a huge variance in performance. Ultimately I don't care too much about mileage as it's consistently better than my old Titan, but interesting nonetheless. I'll do some more real world 'testing' to see where the sweet spot is on total cost per mile.

- Overall ride quality is pretty good, but the Pro4x is really jittery on certain types of pavement. I understand it's the off-road model so it will have stiffer suspension but it does get tiresome on less than smooth roads. If I had to do it again, I'd likely get a standard 4wd and not the Pro4x because from what I understand they have a smoother ride... Nowhere near as comfortable on bumpy stuff as the Ram that I drove.

- Infotainment was great, perfect mix of hard buttons and touch screen. Really like this aspect of the truck.

- Speakers were excellent and several times my wife and I thought we'd heard some random noise in the truck like a rattle or tapping sound... turns out each time it was a sound from the music or podcast we were listening to! This also speaks to the interior sound levels. Outstanding... quietest vehicle we've ever had and truly a serene experience if you're cruising on a smooth road.

- Transmission was very smooth on the highway even when blasting up to 5k rpms when using the adaptive cruise control... :) It still sucks around town. I REALLY am getting annoyed with the inconsistency of the 1-2-3 shifting from a stop.

- We did some light off-roading while in Colorado and I was really impressed with how easily it climbed the few loose and steep grades we went up. No issues with a few pretty deep ruts in the path either and I didn't even need to use 4Lo. I did feel the rear end swing around a few times with very light throttle inputs and needed to counter steer out of them which I thought was odd. Could have been due to the composition of the terrain we were driving over though or the fact that I didn't air down the tires. Overall though, the vehicle did me confidence to try a little more challenging terrain... though I likely won't because I'm afraid to break or get stuck in something this pricey. :)

- Biggest vehicle I've ever had, but easiest to parallel park I've ever had... the 360 overhead camera angle is fantastic. Seriously, first attempt to parallel park was in a pretty tight spot and it was a success. That overhead view is excellent and I use it almost every time I park to ensure I'm perfectly centered in any spot because I'm a bit obsessive compulsive. I never had any issues parallel parking the old Titan, but this just makes it that much easier.

All in all, a great road trip vehicle with a few issues... I'm a diehard Nissan guy (this is my fourth) but the transmission around town (where most of my driving occurs) is becoming a real problem for me.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
i notice the same sound issue. i hear things and think its a rattle but its something in the music i had never noticed before.

i think someone said you can turn off the adaptive part of the cruise control and use it like normal cruise.

i have a regular 4x4 sv and it is a very comfortable trip truck. on the areas here in town where our jeep feels like its skipping across the surface because of bumps in a turn, this truck doesn't do it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have a regular 4x4 sv and it is a very comfortable trip truck. on the areas here in town where our jeep feels like its skipping across the surface because of bumps in a turn, this truck doesn't do it.
Yeah I think that's a better description than my 'jittery' comment... the truck does feel like it's skipping over repeated small hits. That being said, when you hit a big dip or pothole in the road, then the suspension seems to do a good job of soaking it up.

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
The Pedal Commander makes it shift like you expect it to, I’m on the city 0 setting, this is the second Titan it’s been in and very pleased. I’m on my second SV with a total of almost 80,000 miles and this model has an amazingly smooth ride, zero complaints.
I never use cruise control and all the nanny stuff is turned off, I drive my vehicles not the other way around. Glad you didn’t get hit and enjoy the truck.

Clint

Reactions: TitanSteve

·
Registered
98 Posts
I never use cruise control and all the nanny stuff is turned off, I drive my vehicles not the other way around. Glad you didn’t get hit and enjoy the truck.
Not using cruise control on a 16 hour drive just isn't an option for me. I don't want to be the person who is constantly speeding up and slowing down because I can't hold a speed nor do I want to have to modulate the throttle with my leg in one position for that long. I'll use cruise all day every day if needed, but not the adaptive aspect as I feel it's just downright dangerous in certain instances.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Not using cruise control on a 16 hour drive just isn't an option for me. I don't want to be the person who is constantly speeding up and slowing down because I can't hold a speed nor do I want to have to modulate the throttle with my leg in one position for that long. I'll use cruise all day every day if needed, but not the adaptive aspect as I feel it's just downright dangerous in certain instances.
Kind of reminds me of my current Honda CRV. The Honda Sensing is way to fking sensitive. If someone turns and is out of the lane but the car still picks it up, it'll come to a complete stop. I loathe the Honda Sensing.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
947 Posts
Kind of reminds me of my current Honda CRV. The Honda Sensing is way to fking sensitive. If someone turns and is out of the lane but the car still picks it up, it'll come to a complete stop. I loathe the Honda Sensing.
I didn't bother turning on the cruise control when there were more than a handful of cars ahead of me. I think it's best to keep it off when creeping up on more than 3-4 cars. Where it proved useful for me was when I was on a 2 lane stretch of road where there was maybe 1-2 cars ahead. As soon as I slowed down because of a car ahead, I took control, navigated around the traffic, and then re-engaged it. Having it slow me down when getting into traffic was all I really wanted it for anyways, as I felt I should be attentive when driving around in a pack, as someone else has already experienced that the truck will try to apply the brakes when someone cuts into that gap that the truck allows in between each car.

For what it's worth, I thought it had great road manners for 1/2 of my trip. If Nissan can address the flapping hood issue that I have, then I'd say it's definitely worth a look once supply is back.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you didn’t already figure out yet, to engage regular cruise control just hold down the cruise button until it switches to the tachometer icon

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you didn’t already figure out yet, to engage regular cruise control just hold down the cruise button until it switches to the tachometer icon
Thanks, I hadn't been in the truck since so I haven't fiddled with it yet... when you state the 'cruise control button' which one do you mean? The power on/off button, adaptive distance regulator or the set/resume button?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't been in the truck since so I haven't fiddled with it yet... when you state the 'cruise control button' which one do you mean? The power on/off button, adaptive distance regulator or the set/resume button?
The power on/off press it until it switches the icon. And you can turn it off like normal as well.

Reactions: TitanSteve
41 - 60 of 114 Posts