Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Finally moved up from my Altima to a Titan! Really excited and loving it so far.

I wondered why mine was a few grand cheaper than the one just like it and was surprised to find it doesn't have a towing kit on it when I got home. (I didn't even think a truck would be made without one)

I'm now looking to buy a hitch to install on my Titan SV. I notice in the manual it refers multiple times to a Class 4 hitch.

Does anyone have advice on which kit to buy:
I've found a bunch on Google of brands I've never heard of.
Prefer a bolt on kit with no welding so I can do it myself.
I would also need a light kit.

Is there a go to brand you would stick with? Is Class 4 going to give me best towing capability?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
69,765 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
First thing I'd do is look at your sticker and figure out if the dealer was supposed to install one and didn't. If so, call the dealer and get them to put one on.

If not, 4mula has you headed in the right direction. There are two I see from known brands - Draw-Tite and Curt - and both are rated to work with the Titan and carry more than the load for which your truck is rated. eTrailer also sells a wiring kit with a set of relays you'll need and the correct plug/mount assembly for the Titan. You might also check behind your bumper as I saw a thread on here the other day about having a cutout on the tag area of the bumper which fit these wiring setups and you could really get a clean install that way. Worth looking behind the bumper to see what your options are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for responding so quickly.

So looking at 4mula1fan's post:

I see that hitch says 2018 not 2020 (I'm assuming that doesn't matter much)
Max tongue weight is 800 LBS
Gross towing weight is 8,000 LBS

My manual says my model is 920 LBS and 9,200 LBS respectively. So essentially going with this hitch I would be limited to the hitches capability not my vehicles. I don't know that this is really a significant difference, but I'm thinking maybe I ought to stick with a hitch that has a higher rating to give me the best "safety net" possible. Unless you all feel that's just way overkill and a waste of money?

Thank you for your input on the wiring and hitch brand as well. If Draw-Tite and Curt are well-trusted brands I would rather stick with something I'll have faith in.

I'm not usually one to pay for the best of the best, but I'm thinking something like this is worth spending a bit of extra cash on to ensure safety.

·
Premium Member
69,765 Posts
You could always check the wrecking yards.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
When I go to that link, it says it is "confirmed to fit a 2020 Nissan Titan" so not sure why you're seeing 2018, unless that's the last vehicle you searched at eTrailer, and it's still in your cookies. But just to be sure, I clicked the link above, and the attached pic is a screenshot.

Now, as for towing capacity, you're not reading all the info. The Draw-Tite is a Class III/IV receiver rated to 800/8000 (tongue/trailer) in standard ball-hitch format. It's rated to 1200/12000 in weight-distributing-hitch format. I can assure you you do not want to tow 920/9200 on just the ball with your Titan. Read your owner's manual on towing, as it clearly states that above 5000lbs trailer weight, a WDH setup is recommended.

You can shop around for a Class IV receiver if you want, but you're overbuilding. The hitches linked are more than your truck's capability.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You could always go to U-haul. Their stuff is good, all is guaranteed; which you won't get with a pick from a wrecking yard. I've bought and had installed two hitches from them and no complaints.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of your recommendations. I went ahead and purchased the recommended product so now I just need to purchase the trailer wiring kit.

·
Premium Member
69,765 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So I am not familiar with the seconds gen towing capacities but are the gen 2’s thee same as the gen 1 that without the towing package you should tow more than 7-8,000. Is the hitch a mute point since he doesn’t have the package (gearing etc.) to tie heavier weight. A regular hitch seems more than enough. Like I said I don’t know how the 2nd gen’s work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I am not familiar with the seconds gen towing capacities but are the gen 2’s thee same as the gen 1 that without the towing package you should tow more than 7-8,000. Is the hitch a mute point since he doesn’t have the package (gearing etc.) to tie heavier weight. A regular hitch seems more than enough. Like I said I don’t know how the 2nd gen’s work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All second gens have the same gearing within their respective models. XD's have different gearing than the regular Titans, and the Cummins had different gearing than the XD gas. The 2020 also has different gearing than prior years since it now has a 9 speed transmission.

The tow package just comes with tow mirrors, a trailer brake controller, trailer light check, front tow hooks, and a class IV hitch with 4 and 7 pin wiring. So if you install a hitch, the truck's rating will be the same as a tow package vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts