Nissan Titan Forum banner

2020 titan oil viscosity?

6K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  TitanSSOul 
#1 ·
How many quarts of oil? And can I use 5w20? I bought the titan used and I didn’t receive owners manual.

#5 ·
It’s 7 qts 0w-20 synthetic only and the zero is equally as important especially on startup. If someone is going to buy oil it’s right there with the rest of it. In 2020 the manual shows no alternate weights like previous years.

Clint

#7 ·
Also, use the 7 qts as a guide, not something set in stone. When I wasn't so lazy, I'd do my oil change, check the dipstick, drive around the block, and then check it again, and if my memory was on point, I'd check it again in a week. I also liked to fill the oil filter with oil before installing it, just so it was lubricated to that point with that first crank.

#17 ·
ha ha ha, the mobile 1 stuff. i knew the end was near when that comment showed up, ha ha ha

i am fine with mobile 1, Valvoline, or any brand. the dude that checks oils on youtube tested a bunch of generic ones too and the brand walmarts sells in the blue bottles did very well. that's all i used on my autocross bmws and used to be all i used in everything. i have never had an issue with it, even in south texas 100+ summer days at the track. the titan gets whatever the dealership puts in though

#38 ·
I’ve been puttin’ in somewhere around 7qts since my first 04’ Titan..

Even though I got a “B” in math I would still struggle tryin’ to measure out 7/8th a quart…

Seven will be fine along with 6.5qts
Thank all of you for the feedback. I was just stating what the manufacturers owners manual stated. Now I know the owners manual is only a recommendation I will toss it and just get all my info from forums.

#36 ·
In most vehicles, the crankshaft that drives the engine’s pistons sits just above the oil reservoir located at the bottom of the oil pan. In order to move lubricant throughout the motor, a pump pressurizes it and draws it up from the pan (or sump), so it can be sprayed in key areas. Overfilling engine oil can raise the level of oil in the pan to the point where the crankshaft starts to make significant contact with the reservoir. Since it moves so fast, it can turn the oil from a liquid into a froth that the pump is no longer able to siphon and distribute. At that point, the engine can starve from lubricant to the degree that serious damage is often the end result.

Yes I know it's only a few ounces of oil, and yes I'm just trolling some of you worry warts... 🤪

#43 ·
Sitting at the oil change place, Nissan dealership wanted to charge me $46 with me bringing my own oil and filter, effectively a $10 discount. So I called one of those little drive through places. I don't much care for the quick lube joints, but this place offered to do it for $27.00. I am getting a kick out of the oil change kid going through all the training with telling me about all the other things that DON'T need to be replaced. "It looks like the air filter is still good..." of course it does at only 3300 miles. And they have another kid that's helping, but he's too short to look over the top of the engine bay. Lol. Feels like such a racket....

#44 ·
Just make sure they fill it and put the drain plug back in. I once went to have it done and the guy below didn’t have the plug in when the guy above started filling it. I made them stop and they said it’s full and it actually was 2+ quarts low. That was 30 years ago and nobody ever touched my cars again.
I was in an apartment so I figured why not get it done,WRONG, the was only the second time of paying someone and I’ve done it every other time since 1975. Be very careful.
My friend had them drain nothing and add the new oil on top, what a big mistake.
Clint

Reactions: busemans
#47 ·
I think I'd have to consider legal recourse for that. I had some Rhino ramps that I used when I'd change the oil in my GTO, combined with a Fumoto drain valve, oil changes were a breeze. It also helps if you have a nice little driveway in which to do it. The oil change was so easy that the biggest pain was disposing of the oil. My local Autozone would take my used oil, but going into the little area to dispose of it, felt like I was walking across an ice skating rink to get to the oil recycle drum. Linoleum floors + used oil = youtube clip material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.