Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission slips ALOT while driving at slow speeds. Between 7mph and 14 mph, i feel hard knocks. Also when I stop I feel like someone hit me from behind. Took it to the dealer and they told me that only 4 people have this issue in the whole nation.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
390 Posts
Tell them to fix the issue or you want a new one. Warranty and lemon law will protect you on this one.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,710 Posts
My transmission slips ALOT while driving at slow speeds. Between 7mph and 14 mph, i feel hard knocks. Also when I stop I feel like someone hit me from behind. Took it to the dealer and they told me that only 4 people have this issue in the whole nation.
Slips? Mine has a delay in response, especially if I need it to kick down when I'm merging into traffic, and then hangs onto the gear after I've let off, which is a symptom that plagued the 2020s until they came up with a fix. I guess it can seem like a slipping clutch as it feels like it's not responding to my throttle inputs. I'm waiting with baited breath for the fix to apply to the 2021s as outlined here If it's actually slipping though, as was already mentioned take it in and let the dealership fix it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is actually quite common… there are a few threads here that mention similar hesitations, roughs shifts, strange noises, etc. The Jatco 9sp transmission has issues and Nissan has been very reluctant to acknowledge them. Tell your dealer they need to do better research before they make a comment like that. Mine is going back into the shop on Monday for the 3rd time since I got it in May (7.5k miles) due to poor/rough shifting and very odd popping noises. All happen at low speeds like yours.

Good luck getting a Lemon Law vehicle though… that’s a very premature comment made earlier and requires a very strict set of circumstances depending upon your state.

There is a TSB out there for the 2020 Titans that apparently helps but it seems like it’s hard to get them to apply it to 2021s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BS! Mine is a 21 and it shifts really hard from 2nd down to 1st.
Same as yours, between 10mph and 20mph.
Gonna take mine in again, and once again after if they can’t fix it, then I’ll get a lemon law lawyer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
BS! Mine is a 21 and it shifts really hard from 2nd down to 1st.
Same as yours, between 10mph and 20mph.
Gonna take mine in again, and once again after if they can’t fix it, then I’ll get a lemon law lawyer.
You should research the lemon law before you hire a lawyer… remember your beef is with Nissan, not the dealer. The dealership can’t fix what Nissan won’t acknowledge is a problem. If you’re going to try to get your truck lemon law’d then you’re going up against Nissan USA, not the dealership.

In order to get Nissan’s attention I made a post on an Instagram page where the Instgrammers were reviewing another brands pickup. I tagged Nissan USA in it and explained the issues I’m having (which are far more than just rough shifts) with my truck. Nissan USA reached out to me the same day, created a case # and assigned a customer rep to help resolve the issue. The customer rep called me and left a message, I called them back 3 times and left 3 messages and they never called me back.

So when my truck goes back into the shop tomorrow (3rd time in 7.5k miles) I’m going to have to escalate the issue with the GM and request they buy my vehicle back… which, given the used car market strength, isn’t a bad option for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is actually quite common… there are a few threads here that mention similar hesitations, roughs shifts, strange noises, etc. The Jatco 9sp transmission has issues and Nissan has been very reluctant to acknowledge them. Tell your dealer they need to do better research before they make a comment like that. Mine is going back into the shop on Monday for the 3rd time since I got it in May (7.5k miles) due to poor/rough shifting and very odd popping noises. All happen at low speeds like yours.

Good luck getting a Lemon Law vehicle though… that’s a very premature comment made earlier and requires a very strict set of circumstances depending upon your state.

There is a TSB out there for the 2020 Titans that apparently helps but it seems like it’s hard to get them to apply it to 2021s.
According to the dealer 2021 already had the TSB update.

·
Registered
125 Posts
According to the dealer 2021 already had the TSB update.
There is a big difference between a transmission slipping and just a poorly calibrated transmission. There has been very little conversation here about actual transmission slipping, but I guess it could be happening in a one-off scenario for you. Nissan acknowledges their transmissions aren't calibrated quite right, thus the TSB for the 2020s. The dealer isn't supposed to apply the TSB to the 2021's because it hasn't been 'released' by Nissan engineers for the 21's. So I doubt that they actually did do that, but if they did I'd request proof of it. They can pull up the vehicle service history and show you. But all in all... a poorly calibrated transmission is not a Lemon Law situation.

I wish you all the best as I know how frustrating this is... I'm going through similar issues right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did what they did to the 2020s transmission fix the issue? My 2021s transmission hesitates very slightly when starting from a stop otherwise it seems fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did what they did to the 2020s transmission fix the issue? My 2021s transmission hesitates very slightly when starting from a stop otherwise it seems fine.
It's just a reprograming of the shift points. No mechanical fixes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Call 1-800-Nissan1 to set up a case. They'll assign you to a dealer of your choice and this process helps keep both the dealership and Nissan accountable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They didn't do anything, but you should take it in and let them know the issue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
See another discussion here on these issues:

We need to get a list of owners with these issues or otherwise make sure that Nissan knows the numbers that are affected.

It reminds me of the first-generation Subaru BRZ with a legendarily bad infotainment system. My local dealer claimed that no one ever complained of it, when that was all you would read about on the web about BRZs, which are otherwise great cars. That car had poor reliability ratings largely because of that common complaint. But Subaru refused to do anything.

Nissan is likely having the same issue with these transmissions. They will surely "deny til you die" to save money unless we have numbers.

I have all the same issues the OP describes on my '21 I just purchased. My main complaint is the laggy/rough shifting off the line, but I also have the rough downshift when stopping. It does shove the truck forward with the last downshift, and is a safety issue. You have to make sure you are on the brakes if you are close to a car in front of you. All around, this transmission is really poorly mapped.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
We need to get a list of owners with these issues or otherwise make sure that Nissan knows the numbers that are affected.
You're just spinning your wheels. Nissan will do nothing. It will be just like how they handled the Gen1 front and rear axle failures and manifold problems. They'll keep pumping out the problematic product and maybe remedy it 3 or 4 years down the road.

It's cheaper for them keep putting out faulty product vs. warrantying it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts