Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't "overland" per se, but I use my 2011 as a trekking vehicle for camping, backpacking, and general trapsing around the woods, mountains, and farm fields. Did very well on the stock suspension and even better on 5100s and a small lift.

I'm running 295/70r18s (wanted sidewall not rim, also!) Which gives me roughly 12x34.4 of tire section width and height. I don't have any rubbing on my 3" front, 2.5" rear lift, and I've articulated this suspension to the bump stops front and rear several times since install.

From a cost standpoint you could duplicate my setup for about $1200 with all new parts, and I suspect you could run 34s. You could upgrade the shocks to dual reservoir or coilover for a little to a whole lot more.
What lift are you running? and i still cant find the type of Bilsteins that come stock on the Pro4x. Anyone know? I also like the stock wheels, but they are 18"s and I want 17s for the same reason (more tire and less rim). I definitely want a coil over system and seems like Icon is my only option now. Which is fine as they make a great product. Just dont like the $2400 tag. I suppose better than the $5k BDS tag on my last truck.

What system are you running for that $1200 price?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'm running a system I put together from good parts. What I suggested above would include the following (with pricepoints I'd expect to pay):

Dirt King UCAs ($600)
Bilstein 5100/5125 shock set ($380 - be sure you order from someone who will include the correct bushing/sleeve kit for the Titan for the 5125 rears)
Front Lift Spacers ($50)
Rear lift blocks/u-bolts ($50)
Extended sway bar links ($60 - built with parts from Speedway Automotive - see my thread on the subject, along with others)
Energy Suspension extended bump stops ($15)

As you can see, the total here is running about $1155, but shipping and tax will get you around if not just over $1200, depending on sourcing. It's not fancy, but instead simple, workable, and reliable. Best source for the 5100/5125 set of shocks with the correct bushings/sleeves is Mike at Off Road Warehouse (search for MikeORW on Facebook if you're on there). I set mine on the middle perch, which gives 1" of lift, and aded a 2" lift spacer on top. Sway bar links can be bought for $80-100, or made with high quality parts from a race/street rod supplier (Speedway Motors). I bought my heims and jam nuts from them, and so far, my extended links are both silent and highly functional. Get tapered rear blocks (steel, not aluminum) for the rear. I used billet aluminum for the front spacer, and while I lost a little bit of travel due to the spacer, I didn't lose much, as the only part I lost is the difference in height from the stock bump stop to the energy bump stop (about 3/4" or so). I haven't seen any issues with my setup in terms of travel or articulation, and I've had it crossed up on the bump stops at opposite corners crossing some pretty steep field terraces on an old terrace-farmed area of our deer lease, as well as crawling around that mountain lease and crossing up for full suspension travel on the steep, rutted up hog-trails we call roads out there. So far I've only found that despite having good aftermarket UCAs I still have ever so slight coil bucket contact on the driver's side at full droop, but I'll get that with my grinder on the bucket lip just a tiny bit now that deer season is over. I'm running 295/70r18 D!ck Cepek Trail Country EXP tires, which give me 12" of section width, 9.5" of tread width, and 34.4 diameter as per factory specs. I've measured and best I can tell, that's pretty well spot-on. The diameter and tread width are for sure dead on. Measuring section width was a bit of estimation as I don't have a set of calipers which will fit that tire, so I laid my tape across the tread on one while I was rotating them, and eyeballed the section width. Looked like 12" to me. I don't rub, but did have to pull my OEM mud flaps. Here's a pic of the truck in that configuration, to give you an idea of sidewall height and stance.

The Pro4X comes with 4600s, I think. You want the 5100s, at least, or if you really want to spend some coin, consider the 6100s (though I don't know what they add beyond some adjustability, nor what reliability you give up for that adjustability, if any). For Gen2 Titans, there are five perches so choose the right spring perch/spacer combo to get the lift you want. More than 3" generally stresses the CV joints too much and causes failures. Mine are not at a terrible angle but they don't have a whole lot more room at full droop before they'd be in crisis.

I've been around and working on lifted trucks since I was a kid (before I could drive, I had a wrench in my hand...). Most of the modern lifts overcomplicate stuff and create as many problems as they solve. Simple solutions function best, in my experience. Get lift to clear the tires you want, within the confines of workable driveline angles, and get things set up properly and maintain them, and they'll serve you well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I saw that on some websites. The Part number I gave you is definitely for the non-XD. XD models have a different part #. Check with Robert Mclane in the 2nd Gen Titan FB group. He is a Nissan Parts Manager and can get you all the info and a good price.

So I got this from Chuck Graves over at Icon himself just to verify. So in the event someone else says its for the XD, this is the clarification they need. I'll have to see what Mr. Mclane can do for me :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Then why when you google that part number all the Nissan links that pop up says that only works for 16-19 Titans and 19-21 XD's? If this was a one size fit all lift it would mention the 20-21 P4X

So confused.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No one has updated for the year it seems like or got the wrong information. But coming from Icon themselves, its saying its a direct bolt on and will fit. I trust the company who made it more than the retail who's selling it lol. I think there's not really any difference between 2019 and 2021 for non XD other than transmission and a face lift and interior. I think its probably safe to say its the same frame, chassis, etc. Now, trying to see if i can find one for $2k or less lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
No one has updated for the year it seems like or got the wrong information. But coming from Icon themselves, its saying its a direct bolt on and will fit. I trust the company who made it more than the retail who's selling it lol. I think there's not really any difference between 2019 and 2021 for non XD other than transmission and a face lift and interior. I think its probably safe to say its the same frame, chassis, etc. Now, trying to see if i can find one for $2k or less lol
Its odd to me the only decent lift out there you can only buy from the dealer at a ridiculous price.

Curious what other brand trucks they only made kits for that had to be bought through the dealer. My guess is probably none

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Y'all are making this way more complicated than it has to be. You want a small lift (less than 3")? You'll need UCAs, spacers, and new rear shocks (because the OEM rears are only good for up to 1" over stock), plus extended sway bar links and bump stops up front. If you don't want to buy new shocks, go with a 2" front, 1" rear lift and you can just install spacers and then sway bar links and bump stops. It is asinine to pay anything close to $2k for a lift of less than 3". If you use the OEM shocks, you could do 2/1, links, and bump stops for less than $225, shipping included. You'll need an alignment afterward, but you'll need that with whatever lift you install.

If you like the Icon kit, by all means buy it. But it's way more money than you have to spend, if you'd rather not spend that much. And the performance of the Icon won't be better than the performance of a good set of shocks (like the Bilstein 5100s) all around and a rear block and front spacer. My compression travel is slightly limited by the spacer, but reality says that's good, as any more upward travel would cause my tires to hit on the frame rail at full lock, or the fender liner mid-turn, so limiting works in this scenario. I still have plenty of travel. It's not rocket science, it's just suspension parts.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I understand you're trying to avoid spacers. I just doubt the necessity of doing so. But carry on. It is your truck, it should be built your way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Its odd to me the only decent lift out there you can only buy from the dealer at a ridiculous price.

Curious what other brand trucks they only made kits for that had to be bought through the dealer. My guess is probably none
So Dubym suggested Dirt King UCA's so when i went to look them up, I noticed they have a suspension system that they have created specifically for the Titan. Looks pretty neat. But then to get the full system for 3" lift, its more than $2400. Its in the $3k range. But just sharing that besides Rough Country and Icon, there's another company.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Y'all are making this way more complicated than it has to be. You want a small lift (less than 3")? You'll need UCAs, spacers, and new rear shocks (because the OEM rears are only good for up to 1" over stock), plus extended sway bar links and bump stops up front. If you don't want to buy new shocks, go with a 2" front, 1" rear lift and you can just install spacers and then sway bar links and bump stops. It is asinine to pay anything close to $2k for a lift of less than 3". If you use the OEM shocks, you could do 2/1, links, and bump stops for less than $225, shipping included. You'll need an alignment afterward, but you'll need that with whatever lift you install.

If you like the Icon kit, by all means buy it. But it's way more money than you have to spend, if you'd rather not spend that much. And the performance of the Icon won't be better than the performance of a good set of shocks (like the Bilstein 5100s) all around and a rear block and front spacer. My compression travel is slightly limited by the spacer, but reality says that's good, as any more upward travel would cause my tires to hit on the frame rail at full lock, or the fender liner mid-turn, so limiting works in this scenario. I still have plenty of travel. It's not rocket science, it's just suspension parts.
Not sure how far up you read in the thread, but I, personally, will be doing an Overland build. I don't want to just lift only for tires. So far I've already put weight numbers for what I'm going to build and I'll be putting at least half a ton of gear in the rear of the truck at all times. More when myself and my wife and kids are going to be sleeping in the back. So there will be constant weight in the rear. I have a $60k+ truck and I'm trying to put a system in the truck that does what I want but still maintains a factory ride (or better). Z1 Motorsports in Carrolton, GA. did a deep dive with me on what they have experienced and how they build their Overland vehicles as well as some of the hang ups they've had along the way. a 3" Lift is exactly what I'm looking for (not less than 3) and also having to put a better system in the rear to ride well with a constant payload. I agree with you, if I was doing a lift for style and tires, I would be throwing on a $400 Rough Country lift and calling it a day lol.

I'll have to essentially get the suspension, then build the rig, then take the rig back to the shop to get adjusted once its at full load so that way i know what way i need to adjust the suspension under full load and also without the load. So adjustable suspension would be the way to go. Airbags in the rear would be the absolute best solution for constant payload adjustments, but to find airbags that also have a good coil over to work with them is what I had issue with on my last truck and BDS solved it.....for about $5k. I really dont want to go down that road. So really, $2k is a good deal for me.

I looked up your Dirt King and other stuff and I actually used to live real close to their HQ in San Diego and planning a trip this summer to visit friends. Might swing by. They have a great 3" custom setup for the Titan with their proprietary shocks (whatever they got from China and altered, like all the companies do) and use Eibach springs. But the shocks alone were $1300. Adding the full kit was $3k. In reality, $3k to have a better system than stock on a $60k+ truck isnt a big deal (to me)?

Anyways, i hope this helps better understand the need for the type of setup I want to run. You are correct, it isnt rocket science and I'm probably thinking more into it than i should. i just hate to do things twice. I don't want to invest in a system, figure out it doesn't work for me, then have to buy something else again. Ya know what I mean? So this is my "measure twice" phase before I cry once, and only once, and invest in a new system. If you include the tires and rims with suspension, its Going to be pushing if not exceeding $4k. $1250 for tires, $1200 for rims and $2k for suspension. That's if i do most all the labor myself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
TitanAndy, my setup sounds similar to what you are thinking about. I have the Icon lift installed by my dealer, I have the NFAB slider setup that you are talking about, and I have put different wheels and tires on mine (the wheels in this pic are currently for sale). I would be glad to answer any questions about my setup or experience getting my truck to where it is today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
TitanAndy, my setup sounds similar to what you are thinking about. I have the Icon lift installed by my dealer, I have the NFAB slider setup that you are talking about, and I have put different wheels and tires on mine (the wheels in this pic are currently for sale). I would be glad to answer any questions about my setup or experience getting my truck to where it is today.

View attachment 550541
Heyan, looking good! How's the ride and lift with the icon? Also, how do you like the nfabs?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Heyan, looking good! How's the ride and lift with the icon? Also, how do you like the nfabs?
I think the ride is great! Not harsh, and not as "floaty" as the stock suspension. I am riding at 40" from ground to the bottom of the flares at all four corners for lift height comparison. I also like the NFABs. They have been on for a little less than 2 years, and no complaints.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have 300 miles on my 2021 Titan Pro 4X. Besides a slight throttle issue I'm having, its a great truck!

I bought for the intention to Overland mildly. My goal is to get to hard to reach places for camping with the family and friends on off-the-beat'n-path places, but I'm not trying to go rock crawling to do that lol.

My first goal is to do Tires and Suspension. Budget would try to stay under $4,000 for suspension. I do NOT want to go cheap on the suspension. Been there, done that. If all i was doing was jacking this to put tires and rims and run around town, sure. But I'll actually be putting a bed rack, roof top tent, cargo in back, etc. Like, this will be a utility purpose build.

The CLOSEST thing that I've found was in 2017, you could get an Icon suspension for the Titan for a 3" lift that would be an actual better ride than the stock Bilstein's and give me the lift I need for larger tires. 3" is what I'm going after. 6" is too much. Don't want to tip over (seen a Jeep tip from being top heavy with all the gear). But the only Icon set i see is for the XD Titan, which I don't have.

I really am not a suspension expert, and would like to see if anyone has a good suspension system that would work on my 2021 Titan. I know RC makes them (and I know a lot of people love them) but its not my thing. I've even wrote BDS as they don't even service the Titan lineup (but they do Isuzu, ironically ?)

Anyways, need some help. Goal is 3" lift, 35's and 17"/18" rims (yes i know i'll have to cut for 35's. I'll need a new bumper eventually lol). Current picture before lift, below

Thanks in advance!

-Andy

View attachment 549702
So I have 300 miles on my 2021 Titan Pro 4X. Besides a slight throttle issue I'm having, its a great truck!

I bought for the intention to Overland mildly. My goal is to get to hard to reach places for camping with the family and friends on off-the-beat'n-path places, but I'm not trying to go rock crawling to do that lol.

My first goal is to do Tires and Suspension. Budget would try to stay under $4,000 for suspension. I do NOT want to go cheap on the suspension. Been there, done that. If all i was doing was jacking this to put tires and rims and run around town, sure. But I'll actually be putting a bed rack, roof top tent, cargo in back, etc. Like, this will be a utility purpose build.

The CLOSEST thing that I've found was in 2017, you could get an Icon suspension for the Titan for a 3" lift that would be an actual better ride than the stock Bilstein's and give me the lift I need for larger tires. 3" is what I'm going after. 6" is too much. Don't want to tip over (seen a Jeep tip from being top heavy with all the gear). But the only Icon set i see is for the XD Titan, which I don't have.

I really am not a suspension expert, and would like to see if anyone has a good suspension system that would work on my 2021 Titan. I know RC makes them (and I know a lot of people love them) but its not my thing. I've even wrote BDS as they don't even service the Titan lineup (but they do Isuzu, ironically ?)

Anyways, need some help. Goal is 3" lift, 35's and 17"/18" rims (yes i know i'll have to cut for 35's. I'll need a new bumper eventually lol). Current picture before lift, below

Thanks in advance!

-Andy

View attachment 549702

This might help. After watching that playlist I decided I will forego the lift/leveling kit.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Idk if anyone has mentioned Dirt King Fab, but I just checked their website and they have some suspension options for the new 2021 trucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Andy, I live in Canton Ga. Not too far from you. I'm excited to see your build. I'm in a 2020 titan XD plat reserve. Love the truck. It's actually my second. I had the desiel in a 17 but wanted the gas for different reasons so I traded.

I'm more of a hunter than an overlander, but for the same reasons you described I wanted a better than Rough Country option. I found Robert Mclane on the Titan Facebook group. He hooked me up with the Nissan kit for FAR less than msrp. You should hit him up. This is the stock photo of what Nissan sells. He's a parts department manager at a dealership up north. You have to wait for the manufacturer to get it built but I'm pretty sure ICON sells a kit for your non XD. Just try Robert to see what he can get. I added a pic of his card. I'm anxiously awaiting mine now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello fellow titan fans. I am planning on getting the Nissan Icon upgrade. ( As soon as I find a local dealer that knows what I am asking for.) I am also planning on making my truck capable of overlanding. For reference I have found this build

Overlanding Olympiad Nissan Titan

They mention a Radflo 4-inch suspension lift with coilovers and shocks.

I cant find the kit but they claim that's what they put on the truck.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hello fellow titan fans. I am planning on getting the Nissan Icon upgrade. ( As soon as I find a local dealer that knows what I am asking for.) I am also planning on making my truck capable of overlanding. For reference I have found this build

Overlanding Olympiad Nissan Titan

They mention a Radflo 4-inch suspension lift with coilovers and shocks.

I cant find the kit but they claim that's what they put on the truck.

Hope this helps.
Here ya go buddy

21 - 40 of 51 Posts