Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,
I'm new here and after doing some searching I can't find anything relevant on the 2nd gen Titan (it may be my ineptitude as well!) Any way I just bought a new Titan Platinum Reserve. Love the truck but I have one issue that is driving me nuts. Brought it to the dealer and of course they couldn't replicate the issue. So before I start taking the interior apart I figured I'd try my luck in the forum.

When driving over small bumps or a wash board type surface I get clunk/rattle that comes through the steering wheel. I can feel it and hear it, sounds as though its coming from the steering column. I have my panel tools ready and am just about to pull the clam shell apart and see if I can find something loose. The best way I can describe it although not as extreame, is it feels like an old ram or Chevy with a loose steering column. Any one else ever dealt with this issue with Nissan? The tech I spoke with said they "never" have those types of problems.
Thank you!
Rob

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,648 Posts
welcome!!

i haven't heard of it or had it but it seems that is always the first answer from the dealer, cannot replicate. i made a video with my phone of my truck when acting up, since they couldn't replicate it, and then they really dug down and ended up putting a new engine harness and engine. maybe you can get it on video and show them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good idea, I'll give that a shot. I just pull the clam shell off the steering column and I don't see anything obvious. I'll drive around with it like that for a day or so and see if I can stick my hand in there and stop the rattle. Any idea how to get the cloth off ?

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,650 Posts
Great looking truck. Have you looked under the hood, maybe near the firewall? It's not uncommon for assembly workers to put parts on the vehicle while they install other components and forget that they had already left a part on the vehicle. Then other parts are installed on top of the other part, and next thing you know is you get a rattle when the part moves around. I've seen loose bolts, nuts, etc. sitting inside body panels in other vehicles I've owned. Strangest thing was a loud thunk that I'd hear from an old Saturn that I owned. It happened when I'd accelerate or come to a stop. I finally got tired of the noise and inspected the vehicle. Turns out it was a large maglite flashlight that apparently some technician had left. Also, does it sound like a nutplate under the dash? Those come loose often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It reminds me of my old 3/4 2nd gen ram. On certain bumps it sounds like the steering column is loose. You feel it in the steering wheel and it’s accompanied by an audible clunk. I pulled the column apart and didn’t find anything. I also check where the steering column attaches near the pedals and that is tight. It almost sounds like it’s coming from the steering wheel pad behind the horn area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts