Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize in advance if its long.

New 2021 Pro 4x with Fender audio. Wanting to move my existing stereo equipment into it. I have a new underseat sub box being built to hold 6 Sundown Audio 6.5's, upfiring. 3 amps, 2 zapcos for Mid/Highs, 1 Crescendo for the subs and a DSP.

Going for a SQ build and only doing the front. Going to put in the sound deadener starting next weekend hopefully.

No one has a harness to easily add amps to the stock unit (Crutchfield, Sonic Electrnix, Axxess and PAC). I previously had a rogue and hardwired to the front speaker outs, but this has the sub. The door speakers are most likely filtered because of the sub.

I have an almost brand new android head unit i just put into the Rogue and pulled out. Joying 10 inch, Android 10. Which i love, but i dont want to lose the 360 degree cameras. I have looked at the Phoenix Auto Titan head units and have asked them what they have available, they are looking at dash pics of my truck and are getting back to me. I don't want to spend the dollars on another head unit if i dont have to. I see on youtube that someone has wired in the Nissan AVM to an aftermarket head unit and given some vague instructions. Joying looked at pics of the back of the fender unit and said they have no harness to fit it.

Is the an amp location for the fender easy to get at? Has anyone tapped the sub and door speakers and summed them for use? Has anyone tried a USB DAC from the head unit? that would be such an easy integration option if it recognized it. I think i have one somewhere, i'll give it a go.

Anyhow. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, Phoenix Automotive says they have no head units that would fit the 2021 Pro4x.

I tested 2 USB DACs. A cheap USB -> Headphone, Coax, Optical out. Lights up, no sounds. And a bit better SMSL USB -> Optical/Coax/HDMI. The SMSL has a little display to show what signal its getting and it reported DSD 128. I dont have an easy way to test it, but i dont think thats right. I plugged it into a USB charger and it reported 44.1Khz. I tried before on my old Rogue with the same results. The head unit in the Titan looks to be the same manufacturer (Bosch) running Linux.

So i'll have to see about summing. Does anyone know if the front doors have the full range (other than sub) or is each of the 3 (Door, A Pillar, Dash) getting filtered frequencies? I will have to find the amp i guess.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,982 Posts
since its running Linux, maybe some of the guys on the Linux or ubuntu forums can help with breaking into it and figuring it out? maybe ask on those forums.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
The Rockford system had full range delivered from the head unit to the amp, and you could run those right into low-level/RCA inputs. I have no idea if the '21 has an amp, but I suspect it would and it would be pretty easy to test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a wiring diagram from Nissan but it looks like its for the 2 way component model not the 3 way front components. I asked him for it, but he quit the dealership before i could get it. I spent the day putting in 1 layer of 80mil sound deaderner and 1 layer of 315mil sound / heat blocking foam Noico brand. I've used their deadener before but not the other foam treatment. Works pretty well. My wife liked the result, which is saying something. Still have the back wall to do.

The RF model had an outboard amp as far as i can tell. The fender model looks like it might be all integrated. It's looking like ill need an 8 channel line output converter for the front channels and sub back to my amps.

Going to build some adapters to mount my 8 inch Dayton MidWoofers. I got some Hivi 2 inch dome midranges, but they are so damn big i dont think they'll fit. I'm hoping they will, but may have to skip them. They're so cool, i dont want to send them back. They were pretty cheap though.... i may have to find a reason to keep them. My ScanSpeak ring radiator tweeters that i want to put in also look like they're too big if i want them in the A pillars. They would fit in the dash, but then it would be hard to find mids for the A pillars.

I picked up a 6 channel Zapco DSP amp in mint condition off of Craigslist so i may be able to cut down the amount of equipment by a large amount. About 3-4 weeks before my sub box is done and shipped over.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Following. Been a long time since I installed a sound system. The last I did had vintage Soundstream amps, Audiocontrol active crossovers and Arc Audio components. Those were the days!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking for the Amp. It sounds like the RF amp is drivers side up on the wall behind the pedals. There are 2 modules i see there, one is a body/transfer control module and the other pictures didnt come out well. It has 4 or 5 wire harnesses attached and the text didnt come out. I will try again to get a decent pic so i can look it up.

I looked at the fender sub and i'm hoping i can get some more details without having to disassemble the seat. The docs say that it is a 12 speaker, 9 amp channel setup. I am guessing 6 active channels for the front 3 ways, 2 channels for the rear doors with passive xovers and the sub. If thats the case i can take the rear door signals before the xover and the sub channel and put them through the summing 4 channel input on the dsp.

Otherwise i'd need an 8 channel summing adapter like an AudioControl LC8i, and why buy that if i don't need it. I wish they'd leave the drivers in for outboard DAC's, both Android and Linux have standard drivers inbuilt already. Then a cheap adapter could give you a signal all the way back to your dsp/amp, no mucking about. No interference, highest quality signal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the back fabric cover off and put a layer of deadener and acoustic foam over the back wall. Sounds quieter. I think i found the amp. It has no visible id on it. Maybe on the hidden side. Silver box on the right side. It has a fan. Not sure. I will probably have to take it out to see if there is any id on the covered sides. I may just disconnect the battery and put my cable toner on one of the back speakers and follow the signal. That will probably be quickest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here I am thinking about trading my 19 pro4x in for a 2021 because I like the interior more and the bigger infotainment screen and I want the heated seats and steering wheel. Lol let me know if you want to sell your stock infotainment head unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still waiting for my sub box for the titan. I've been putting off the rest of the wiring and amp rack until i get that. I talked to the builder a week ago and he said it might go out that day. We originally agreed on an upward firing ported box for 6 Sundown Audio 6.5's. I'm glad i didnt order the extra 2 i'd need for that. He said he couldnt fit the 6, so the box will have 4. I'm thinking of selling my current 4 6.5's in a box with 2 12 inch passive radiators from my last SUV and pick up 4 Sundown SA 8's. The 6.5s i have would only let me wire down to 2 ohm for about 1k from my amp, 6 wouldve got me to 1.33 Ohm's and about 14-1500 watts. The 8's i could get down to 1ohm and about 1800 watts. Which should be pretty good in that cab.... Might try selling all of them and getting a bigger amp to go with SA 8's.

Just putting in the sound deadener is a big difference.

Still trying to find the best signal to send to the amps. Zapco says the back doors might have a full range signal, which would be pretty easy to tap into. Can't wait until the box gets here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my sub box in! it took about 9 weeks, but it's here. From Sound Off Audio. With shipping about $320. Double top baffle, came with ok terminals, but i have some better ones that fit. Only issue is that to fit my Sundown SA 6.5 subs in it, i either have to route out about 1/3 of an inch, or remove the thick rubber gasket on the subs. I don't want to do that. I'm thinking of selling my subs and upgrading to the X 6.5's, they're a little smaller outer diameter higher power handling. Now i have to do the wiring job and it's going to be 116 degrees out next week.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Your best bet is to not modify the box...those things are a work of art and precision. I always liked to do the wiring...well not in 116 degrees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turns out it doesn't have a double top baffle, its just speaker rings under the holes and the port area is too small for the woofers. It isn't a work of art. It's made fairly well, but it doesnt fit the drivers it was supposed to without taking off the gaskets, which looks unfinished and far as i can tell, it has about 3/4 the port area it should have for those drivers. I originally ordered it to fit 6 Sa-6.5's, but about 8 weeks after i paid for it, he said it wouldnt fit them. I didnt see as i had much choice at that point and said ok to cutting it for 4.

I should've just made it myself, then I would only have myself to blame. bah.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
409 Posts
IMO for $320 you didn’t get what you wanted and it doesn’t fit what it was supposed to. I would be hard pressed not to have the seller remake the box in an agreed upon timeframe or I would dispute the charge with my credit card company. I have resorted to this only twice in my life, but you are the consumer, spending your hard earned money.

Also, I have made a few boxes in my life. It looks like you could fit 6 in two triangle shaped patterns on each side… if you end up disputing the charge and getting your money back, just modify this one to your needs. Worst case, chuck It out!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I agree with SeanDavy. If it was not made to your/driver specs, then the builder needs to fix it. I have had numerous custom sub boxes made (even built a few myself) - mostly for 10 or 12 inch drivers. If it's not made right - whether hole size, cubic footage amount, port design or not sturdy enough for driver/s - you will disappointed with the sound quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've made most of my boxes in the past as well. I put in a dispute and talked to the builder. I think he'll fight it, so i may be stuck with it. I've never been impressed with Paypal's dispute resolution. I did take out the underseat storage unit and test fit the sub box. It does fit, it's left about 2 inches of space on each side that the storage unit covered, so it could be bigger. It is too tall though. The subs would be banging against the bottom of the seat. One is right under some of the plastic housing.

All in all, just disappointing. I am going to tape up the sub box and use it as a template for a fiberglass sub box. I've made one before, and it has been my favorite, that i've ever had. I'm thinking 4 8 inch Sundown SD4's. They are shallower depth woofers with an SQ focus, or 2 12 inch SD4's. Sealed. I was trying to fit 2 10 inch Sundown U's, but those beasts just wont fit. I have 2 12 inch passive radiators from my last box that i could have used to save on the volume loss of a port. The U's are about 7 inches deep though, and just wont fit that i can see.

So sell my 6.5's, build a new box and then new woofers. Maybe a bit larger sub amp.

·
Registered
21 Titan SV
5 Posts
Took the back fabric cover off and put a layer of deadener and acoustic foam over the back wall. Sounds quieter. I think i found the amp. It has no visible id on it. Maybe on the hidden side. Silver box on the right side. It has a fan. Not sure. I will probably have to take it out to see if there is any id on the covered sides. I may just disconnect the battery and put my cable toner on one of the back speakers and follow the signal. That will probably be quickest.

View attachment 551255
I believe the factory amp is under the driver's seat.

·
Read Only
67 Posts
The one vendor who we deal with for audio boxes are a bunch of clowns from Florida. If it ain't in the catalog your better off making them yourself. They totally suck! Nine weeks is a pretty good turn around these days. I've had a few customers waiting for over four months for products off the shelves. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
156 Posts
So, does the Fender system have any sort of line-level output? I have several spare amps sitting around, and was thinking about wiring one up with an additional sub or two.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts