Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To all of us suffering with the transmission shifting issues on 2021 Titans:

We need to stick together and have substantial numbers to go up against Nissan if they continue to do nothing about our model year. Hopefully they will include '21 in the fix that the '20 trucks received, but until then - I am offering to build a registry of all of us having these issues.

If we can get enough people to participate, and assuming no fix for 2021 trucks has appeared, I will do the following:

1) I will approach Nissan directly with the list and request they extend the 2020 update to our trucks.

2) If that goes nowhere, I will approach an attorney who handles vehicle-related mass actions and see what the options are, as well as consumer advocates, the media etc.

3) I will also share the list with anyone here who requests it, as it may help when the dealer says the usual BS when you take the truck in - that they have never heard of this, no one is complaining of it, etc.

To all who are interested in participating, here is what to do:

Use the "Message" feature when hovering on my user name (above left) to contact me with at least your first name, whatever contact info you are comfortable with sending, and as much detail as you wish to share on the problems you are having. If you want to share a VIN, even better. I will organize the list as an Excel spreadsheet.

If you are hesitant to share info, I will be happy to talk to anyone who wants to know more about me, if needed. I have a modest online presence and can provide some links, info about me etc. to show this is on the up-and-up (although I don't see how there is any downside to sharing the kind of info needed here!)

Hopefully we can get some relief. I don't want to have to sell or trade in this truck, and make it my last Titan!

·
Registered
2019 Titan Pro-4x
23 Posts
Worth it. I had a 2006 xterra and got the SMOD. Nissan wasn't interested in doing anything and I made the tough decision to fix it myself... then a few months later got a letter in the mail that I could be part of a class action and got 2/3 of my money back. Still stinks, but something was better than nothing.
The class action was because someone on the xterra forum did the same thing you are and then got a lawyer interested in representing the group.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Fyi the 20’ trans update is what 21’ owners have now..

Nissan put out like three or four updates for the 7 speed tranny so I am sure a few more for the 9 speed should be out soon..

I complained to my dealer and it is logged.. But overall my shifting isn't all that bad.. I give it a B+….

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be very depressing if true. Do you have evidence of this?

Here is what I am going through with the truck at 700 miles:

I literally have to creep around like a little old lady when first driving the truck from cold, barely using the accelerator, and cringing as I await the inevitable first rough/weird/unnecessary shift(s).

Once it's warm, it's better somewhat from a standing start through say 20 mph. But, this is only in the sense that once warm, using more throttle than I would like usually makes it hold first and shift at a normal time into second. Normal, less-aggressive driving even when warm carries some risk of weird shifts at low speeds.

The abrupt, sometimes shocking downshifts when stopping never really go away. I just have to make sure I am well behind the car stopping in front of me, and hard on the brakes. This is because that abrupt last downshift is sometimes harsh enough to throw the truck forward a bit, which would be into their bumper if I was too close.

Man, I really want to love this truck. I hope a factory resolution arises. I shouldn't have to consider adding mods at 700 miles to fix a baked-in problem.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
We may need to stick together and have numbers to go up against Nissan if they continue to do nothing about our model year. Hopefully they will include '21 in the fix that the '20 trucks received, but until then - I am offering to build a registry of all of us having these issues. If we continue to have no luck with our dealers, this may give us some leverage to send to Nissan to get it moving.

At the least, we will have evidence when the dealer claims the usual stuff - that no one else is complaining of this, that it's just internet BS - in other words, all of the obstructionism that you may hear when trying to get this sort of problem fixed.
I wouldn't hold my breath on Nissan doing anything at all. Something similar was done on the first generation Titan for the front and rear axles and the manifolds. All they did is keeping pumping them out with flaws and eventually fixed the issues 3-4 years down the road.

·
Registered
488 Posts
No its not and you cant provide a shred of proof to back that up

At 8000 miles I thought my trans was getting better but now that its cooling off its bad again. The shift flare 1st thing in the morning is bad. The hard downshifts are back. This trans hates the cold and is horrible until the fluid warms up then it gets slightly better. My truck is going in Friday to have the fan clutch looked at. Every time I run the AC the fan clutch engages and wont turn off until I turn the AC off. When I was at the dealer last week to book my appointment they asked if I had any other issues and I said yeah "the transmission sucks" and of course he claimed that was the 1st he had heard of that. I asked about the TSB for the 20 model and he looked it up and I said Im experiencing everything that is supposed to fix. Then he said because it was for the 20 it couldnt be applied to mine.

Im learning to get used to it honestly. It is what it is

·
Registered
488 Posts
Apparently youre new here or at least new to the fact that tons of people are having issues with their 9 speeds. Feel free to search around the forum and do some research. Then come back and comment when youre a little more educated on the subject.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I had some problems with my 20’s 9 speed transmission shifting…

Got the update for the 20’ 9 speed transmission..

Now the update did fix the issues my 20’ transmission had but now my transmission occasionally exhibits the issues you 21’ guys are experiencing….

If you 21’ guys got the 20’ update your complaints would be:

Strange bump feel when accelerating from stop.

Super long throttle delay when accelerating.

Long shift delays from 1st thru 3rd the driving at speed under 40 to 45mph..

When I would be driving thru my “hood” on the way to work my motor would be screamimg along at 2500 to 3000 rpm while only doing 35 mph…

Now after the 20’ trans update the damn transmission will drop into second gear and lockup the torque converter right as I hit the gas…

I think Nissan has one disgruntled transmission programmer lol!!!

I know you guys are frustrated and my apologies for being somewhat of a smart azz…

Keep giving feedback to the dealer… it’s the best way to get them to fix it…

Also,

Tell the dealer to quit wasting your time and replace the fan clutch… I had the same issue on my 16’ XD.. I told the service advisor to set up a time so I could ride with the tech and explain the issue…

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, the registry is up and running with my first response last night. That's two of us! Thank you.

As some have observed above, sure, we my have a low chance of getting Nissan to do anything to begin with, or if each of us just complains on our own. As 07xln says above, what individual dealers will likely do is pretend they have never heard of the issue.

However, they will not be able to do that when there is a list of owners complaining. Our probability of getting help can only increase with more organized evidence of the issue.

So, if you are having transmission issues, bottom line, don't just sit and complain on this forum! If you want change to happen, let's unite. If you know of someone else with the same problem, send them the link to this thread.

If you are not comfortable with participating, another option is to file your own safety-related complaint with the NHTSA at:

This may be a good idea for all of us to do anyway. In my opinion, the truck has a safety issue: the harsh downshift when coming to a stop jolts the truck forward unless I am hard on the brake. This could endanger pedestrians and increase the risk of a rear-end collision with the car in front.

I will keep updating the status as the list (hopefully!) grows. Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went ahead and posted an NHTSA complaint. I have attached an image of how I filled it out. They list the transmission under the "Power Train" option:
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
OK, the registry is up and running with my first response last night. That's two of us! Thank you.

As some have observed above, sure, we my have a low chance of getting Nissan to do anything to begin with, or if each of us just complains on our own. As 07xln says above, what individual dealers will likely do is pretend they have never heard of the issue.

However, they will not be able to do that when there is a list of owners complaining. Our probability of getting help can only increase with more organized evidence of the issue.

So, if you are having transmission issues, bottom line, don't just sit and complain on this forum! If you want change to happen, let's unite. If you know of someone else with the same problem, send them the link to this thread.

If you are not comfortable with participating, another option is to file your own safety-related complaint with the NHTSA at:

This may be a good idea for all of us to do anyway. In my opinion, the truck has a safety issue: the harsh downshift when coming to a stop jolts the truck forward unless I am hard on the brake. This could endanger pedestrians and increase the risk of a rear-end collision with the car in front.

I will keep updating the status as the list (hopefully!) grows. Thanks!
I can appreciate your enthusiam but you have a very low chance of getting Nissan to do anything. Practically near zero.

What do you plan to do with this excel spreadsheet you are making?

·
Registered
4 Posts

I literally have to creep around like a little old lady when first driving the truck from cold, barely using the accelerator, and cringing as I await the inevitable first rough/weird/unnecessary shift(s).

Once it's warm, it's better somewhat from a standing start through say 20 mph. But, this is only in the sense that once warm, using more throttle than I would like usually makes it hold first and shift at a normal time into second. Normal, less-aggressive driving even when warm carries some risk of weird shifts at low speeds.

The abrupt, sometimes shocking downshifts when stopping never really go away. I just have to make sure I am well behind the car stopping in front of me, and hard on the brakes. This is because that abrupt last downshift is sometimes harsh enough to throw the truck forward a bit, which would be into their bumper if I was too close.

Man, I really want to love this truck. I hope a factory resolution arises. I shouldn't have to consider adding mods at 700 miles to fix a baked-in problem.

I am suffering from the same problems you are describing on my 2021 Nissan PRO4X. I have 1900 miles on it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can appreciate your enthusiam but you have a very low chance of getting Nissan to do anything. Practically near zero.

What do you plan to do with this excel spreadsheet you are making?
This will surely be the case if people don't participate. It depends on the numbers. If there are only four of us who band together, then sure, they can ignore us. If there are 44 or 400, it will be different.

Nissan surely operates like any other corporation. Think of the math described in Fight Club. They don't want to take action unless it is more damaging to their bottom line not to do so.

See the edited version of the OP above for the simple plan.

·
Registered
193 Posts
To all of us suffering with the transmission shifting issues on 2021 Titans:

We need to stick together and have substantial numbers to go up against Nissan if they continue to do nothing about our model year. Hopefully they will include '21 in the fix that the '20 trucks received, but until then - I am offering to build a registry of all of us having these issues.

If we can get enough people to participate, and assuming no fix for 2021 trucks has appeared, I will do the following:

1) I will approach Nissan directly with the list and request they extend the 2020 update to our trucks.

2) If that goes nowhere, I will approach an attorney who handles vehicle-related mass actions and see what the options are, as well as consumer advocates, the media etc.

3) I will also share the list with anyone here who requests it, as it may help when the dealer says the usual BS when you take the truck in - that they have never heard of this, no one is complaining of it, etc.

To all who are interested in participating, here is what to do:

Use the "Message" feature when hovering on my user name (above left) to contact me with at least your first name, whatever contact info you are comfortable with sending, and as much detail as you wish to share on the problems you are having. If you want to share a VIN, even better. I will organize the list as an Excel spreadsheet.

If you are hesitant to share info, I will be happy to talk to anyone who wants to know more about me, if needed. I have a modest online presence and can provide some links, info about me etc. to show this is on the up-and-up (although I don't see how there is any downside to sharing the kind of info needed here!)

Hopefully we can get some relief. I don't want to have to sell or trade in this truck, and make it my last Titan!
Guess my 08 with 233K miles on it 5 speed was a good one. Never a problem, spill and fill every other oil change.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Guess my 08 with 233K miles on it 5 speed was a good one. Never a problem, spill and fill every other oil change.
I miss the 5 speed and especially the dipstick.

I did a spill and fill on my 20’ and it was a lot more spill than fill.. Super messy and time consuming job… worse part was only 2.5qts drained out…..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts