·
Premium Member
73,076 Posts
Nice and small.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,982 Posts
they are really good looking but the prices can be crazy for a mid size truck. unfortunately, all the mid size trucks are crazy priced. i think the redesign came out great though, they look up to date now

·
Registered
527 Posts
A friend is in the market for a "mid-size" and while we were out this weekend we went over to a Nissan dealership. They had exactly one Frontier on the lot. They handed us the keys and we took it for about a 20 minute drive. I liked the ride. It was quiet and the engine definitely has enough power. This was an SV base. I can't imagine what an S would have been like. Lots of things that I take for granted in my truck were missing. The automatic rear view mirror, dual HVAC temp, lighted mirrors on the visors, electric driver seat and rear cross traffic alert for instance weren't there. Yet the price was more than 15k over what I paid for my truck. I don't know what he's planning to do.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,982 Posts
i could live without all the lane changing alerts and crap that beeps anytime you are near something. i have looked at the s level trucks and that would actually be fine for me but my truck is a loaded titan sv. someone paid a ton of money to put every option on my truck, even the texas package. they don't like the same things i don't like though because leather and the sunroof were left off so its perfect for the wife and i.

my frontier was great the way it was set up. it was an se or whatever is the same as an sv but back in 01. power windows and locks with ac and did everything i needed it to (except tow the rv)

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The “Taco” has to be the most overrated vehicle in the world…

Back in 17’ I test drove the Taco, then the Fronty, then bought a Titan for literally the same price and gas mileage..
I'm not sure why you say it's overrated. It's one of the most reliable midsize trucks in the world. Nothing that Chevy (S10/Colorado/Canyon) or Ford (Ranger) produced could hold a candle to the Tacoma. Chevy and Ford produced unreliable pieces of sh!t.

I had a 1995 Toyota truck before the slapped the Tacoma name on it. Ran it 200,000 miles with absolutely zero problems. Went through 4 sets of tires and one exhaust pipe in those 200,000 miles. Other than that...just put in gas and change the oil. The only reason I sold it (to buy my 2004 Titan) was because I needed a bigger truck for my growing family.

Here in WI the Tacomas are very popular with the bear hunters. It's the only truck they drive for bear hunting. Why? Because it's reliable, has higher ground clearance than the competition and is easier to maneuver around in the woods than a full size truck. Matter of fact, it was a bear hunter that bought my old truck. I had the truck sold in 2 days.

I agree with you on buying one. I'll never buy another mid size truck again because they cost almost the same as a full size truck and the gas mileage is about the same as well. Doesn't make sense to lose all the room I have in a full size truck.

If Nissan was smart (which they are not) they would build the Pathfinder off of the Frontier platform so that they actually had an SUV that competes with the 4runner. Instead they choose to continue making a unibody soccer mom grocery getter.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,982 Posts
maybe i am thinking of the wrong nissan suv.

all the fords and mazda mid sized trucks we have had ran over 200k with no issues. my 04 ranger has 200+ on it right now.

but, i sure loved my little toyota trucks back before they were called tacomas. when they were small trucks with the 4 cylinder and a five speed. those were great trucks and got good gas mileage. the last one i had was an 01 and i loved that truck

·
Premium Member
344 Posts

all the fords and mazda mid sized trucks we have had ran over 200k with no issues. my 04 ranger has 200+ on it right now.

but, i sure loved my little toyota trucks back before they were called tacomas. when they were small trucks with the 4 cylinder and a five speed. those were great trucks and got good gas mileage. the last one i had was an 01 and i loved that truck
We had a 1982 Toyota 4WD 4 cylinder that you could not kill. Add studded snows tires all around and it was unstoppable.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

I can remember in the 90’s most compact 4cyl with manual trans easily got 25 to 30mpg on the hwy…

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Any vehicle can go over 200k miles. The question is...How much money do you have spend on repairs in that 200k miles to keep it running? When I say repairs I'm not talking normal maintenance like brake pads, tires etc.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts