Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so after owning my Gen., one since 2004, I decided to buy a XD about 35 days ago.

I love the truck, but I’ve noticed that when coming to a stop, the transmission shifts hard from 2nd to 1st.
This happens 3 out of 5 times.
I have made an appointment with the dealership on the 12th., but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue?
If so, was it the transmission itself, or a reflash or possibly something else?
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
491 Posts
There are multiple threads on this and its a very common problem. There is a fix (software update) for the 20 model but nothing for the 21 yet. Some people are having their valve body replaced but there is nothing stated anywhere from Nissan as to what symptoms warrant that replacement. Pretty good chance youre gonna leave the dealer with nothing more than a car wash but be sure to let us know if they do perform work on the truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are multiple threads on this and its a very common problem. There is a fix (software update) for the 20 model but nothing for the 21 yet. Some people are having their valve body replaced but there is nothing stated anywhere from Nissan as to what symptoms warrant that replacement. Pretty good chance youre gonna leave the dealer with nothing more than a car wash but be sure to let us know if they do perform work on the truck.
Thank you for your reply! Hopefully they can fix the issue, made an appointment for that and also a loud exhaust leak that’s coming from the front passenger side. Not even 1000 miles and it’s having issue lol while my 04 still kicking butt. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for your reply! Hopefully they can fix the issue, made an appointment for that and also a loud exhaust leak that’s coming from the front passenger side. Not even 1000 miles and it’s having issue lol while my 04 still kicking butt. :)
Hi!

i have a 21 Titan XD and the same thing: sometimes downshift is jerky when coming to a stop AND sometimes there is a loud noise when i floor it (as if the muffler has a hole in it, like old hondas Lol).
Would be interested to hear what your dealer says. Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi!

i have a 21 Titan XD and the same thing: sometimes downshift is jerky when coming to a stop AND sometimes there is a loud noise when i floor it (as if the muffler has a hole in it, like old hondas Lol).
Would be interested to hear what your dealer says. Thank you.
Quick update, after driving a little, the downshift jerk disappeared. For the loud noise :) the dealer said that’s how a v8 sounds when you floor it. :). I actually started to like that sound.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer was no help, as the exhaust leak, it sounds like if there is a cracked manifold. Dealer acknowledged that there is a exhaust leak but can’t fix it because they can’t tell where it’s coming from.
As for the transmission, they said they can’t feel it.

so, now it’s getting worse. And I found out exactly how to duplicate it.
accelerate to 25mph and let go of the gas and let the truck come to an stop on its own, and once it’s slowing down and it reaches 15mph it does the clunk noise.

so I’m gonna make another appointment to show to them. Basically speed up to 25mph let go of the gas and don’t hit the brake and as the truck is slowing down on its own it shifts hard while it hits 15mph.

very disappointing, especially with the dealers effort in trying to see and fix the issue.
mid they don’t fix the exhaust leak and the transmission issue, I’ll have no choice but to get a lawyer.
mom sorry, but I didn’t pay 63k for a truck that has a exhaust leak and has a hard shift.

funny thing is, my 04 titan that I bought new has 200 plus k miles and the transmission is flawless.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dealer was no help, as the exhaust leak, it sounds like if there is a cracked manifold. Dealer acknowledged that there is a exhaust leak but can’t fix it because they can’t tell where it’s coming from.

accelerate to 25mph and let go of the gas and let the truck come to an stop on its own, and once it’s slowing down and it reaches 15mph it does the clunk noise.

so I’m gonna make another appointment to show to them. Basically speed up to 25mph let go of the gas and don’t hit the brake and as the truck is slowing down on its own it shifts hard while it hits 15mph.

very disappointing, especially with the dealers effort in trying to see and fix the issue.
mid they don’t fix the exhaust leak and the transmission issue, I’ll have no choice but to get a lawyer.
mom sorry, but I didn’t pay 63k for a truck that has a exhaust leak and has a hard shift.

funny thing is, my 04 titan that I bought new has 200 plus k miles and the transmission is flawless.
I feel your pain! If Nissan cannot isolate the exhaust leak, then replace the whole thing. From the manifolds to the exhaust tip! Or at the very least pick up the tab for a custom exhaust shop to fix it. Probably be better off if someone else did the work anyways.

·
Registered
24 Posts

So what's going on? Any news?
This only effects the XD?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what's going on? Any news?
This only effects the XD?
Nothing yet, showed the dealer and they said it’s normal, normal my a$$.
You speed up to 40mph., let go of the gas and don’t hit the brakes and let the truck come to stop on its own, and once it hits 15mph it shifts hard into 1st gear. Garbage, gonna make another appointment with a different dealership and if they don’t fix the issue I’ll get a lawyer and lemon it.
the exhaust leak is still there!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What year again is it?
If these are learning transmissions I find that if you drive it like you stole it, seems to learn faster. :) Or breaks faster so dealership has to then fix it. :)
It’s a 21 with about 1400 miles now. It shifts hard into 1st, you can feel it, as if someone hits the truck from behind, bumper to bumper impact. Anyone that has been in it, look at me as if something is really wrong when it happens lol and they ask, what was that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gonna make another appointment with a different dealership again, the downshift into 1st., seems to be getting worse. Will keep you guys posted as to what they say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a new member and potential New 21' Titan buyer. These problems are scaring me into buying one of these trucks. I'm glad I came into this forum. I really thought that the Titan was the "Anti big 3" in terms of quality & durability. I'm seeing that it's not!
I'm going to keep an eye out of the results on this forum and then make an educated decision. I don't want to spend $50K
on a truck that's going to give problems. I don't believe in buying something that I have to be taking to the dealer for them to fix over and over. I might as well buy a Chevy, Ford or Ram if I'm gonna have possible issues. Or as much as I dislike the Tundra, it seems like the only choice that almost guarantees a trouble free truck. We'll see what I get in the end but the Titan based on these problems is starting to look like an unlikely choice!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a new member and potential New 21' Titan buyer. These problems are scaring me into buying one of these trucks. I'm glad I came into this forum. I really thought that the Titan was the "Anti big 3" in terms of quality & durability. I'm seeing that it's not!
I'm going to keep an eye out of the results on this forum and then make an educated decision. I don't want to spend $50K
on a truck that's going to give problems. I don't believe in buying something that I have to be taking to the dealer for them to fix over and over. I might as well buy a Chevy, Ford or Ram if I'm gonna have possible issues. Or as much as I dislike the Tundra, it seems like the only choice that almost guarantees a trouble free truck. We'll see what I get in the end but the Titan based on these problems is starting to look like an unlikely choice!
If i had to do all over again, I would still buy the Titan XD. Those problems you hear are comparatively not huge. Also dont forget that people that have problems are more likely to write here than people who dont have any problems - the forum exists so that people share their problems :) Just test drive it and if you like it - why not. Hopefully it will serve you well. I had diesel XD and now gasser XD. No regrets.

If i had a choice i would have bought from a local dealer, test drive the specific truck and choose the color I want. But with the scarcity of trucks, many people buying from far away.

PS the tundra was strongly considered by me. But 21 model was VERY outdated, had little payload on the Limited i wanted, and the deal breaker was absence of transmission cooler. The 22 model is new and there WERE more unknowns.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts