Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy one, Anybody have a favorite brand? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or a .17 HMR, What do yall think is the best rifle? I beleive a .17 HMR is better then a .22 Magnum but I aint sure. Which has better inpact and distance? Any information would help.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You might also consider .223 Ammo is pretty cheap, you can reload if you get into that, and range and wind drift are better.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not sure if you're looking for a pistol or rifle but Ruger used to make a nice "western style" single action pistol with interchangeable cylinders. One cylinder is .22LR and the other is the .22 mag. Rugers are famous for their build quality and strength. I have this gun in stainless. Really a good shooter!!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
What are you going to use it for?? Most .22mag rifles are single shots. Some Bolts and a very few semi-auto. The single shots will be your best price wise. NEF Handy rifle is good option for someone on a budget. With a Center fire NEF handy rifle starts with a .22 Hornet and you can change out barrels up to 30.06. They also have the sporter's that are rim fire from .22lr and up. They also have versa pac set up that has a muzzle loader, .22lr and .410 shot gun barrel.

But there several revolvers in .22 mag also. I have a Ruger as well and it's fun. I have an old H&R revolver that I like. Savage and Mossberg made decent single shot rifles.

.223 ammo might be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like abolt action rifle. I will mostley be using it for shooting small game(I.E. Squiralls and such.), Plus something I can take to the woods during small game season and shoot hogs. (Has to be a rimfire.)

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I have Marlin 882 SS, .22 magnum, bought it for $120 over a decade ago when Wallymart was still selling firearms. I mounted a Bushnell 3-9X40 on it and just knocks the varments down at 150-200 yds. As tough as ground squirrels are, I use Winchester Supremes or Remington Ballistic tips and they don't get a chance to crawl away. Now, I'm looking to get a .17 HMR in the future as well, don't know which one or when yet though. As for ammo prices, it is what it is... If you wanna go shoot, you're going to spend the money anyways...

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I would like abolt action rifle. I will mostley be using it for shooting small game(I.E. Squiralls and such.), Plus something I can take to the woods during small game season and shoot hogs. (Has to be a rimfire.)

Marlin 882 is a great choice
Savage 93FV is also great, it has the heavy barrel.

But don't count out one of the best .22 semi-auto rifle, The Ruger 10/22 also has that it in .22mag.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I have a Browning BPR .22 mag........1982, last year of production.
There is now .22 mag ammo with lighter bullets......not too far
behind the .17 mag.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Marlin 882 is a great choice
Savage 93FV is also great, it has the heavy barrel.

But don't count out one of the best .22 semi-auto rifle, The Ruger 10/22 also has that it in .22mag.
my buddy has a Ruger 10/22 .22 magnum... He has since modified it, thumbhole stock & CF compensated barrel... I would love to find one at a reasonable price, they are hard to find...

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Plenty 10/22 .22mags out there but they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Price is the biggest factor for me.I want something cheap and reliable. I love Ruger 10/22. I own one but not a Ruger 10/22 .22 Magnum.I kinda am looking for a cheaper bolt action. If I get enough money I will get a10/22 .22 Mag. But if not then it is a bolt action for me.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Bolt action .22mags aren't cheap, if you get cheap MFG that build ones then it probably isn't worth buying. Now what has served me well over the last 30 years in an old Steven Model 30 single shot .22mag it breaks open like a single shot shot gun. It wears a 2-7x21 Leupold scope and is dead nuts accurate at 100yds. Remember the .22mag is far more accurate than a .22LR.

Here is a good bolt for you and for new it's the best priced for a good rifle.
Savage Arms Stevens 305 22 Magnum - SV305 - LIPSEYS.COM

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
.17HMR>.22mag imo

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bolt action .22mags aren't cheap, if you get cheap MFG that build ones then it probably isn't worth buying. Now what has served me well over the last 30 years in an old Steven Model 30 single shot .22mag it breaks open like a single shot shot gun. It wears a 2-7x21 Leupold scope and is dead nuts accurate at 100yds. Remember the .22mag is far more accurate than a .22LR.

Here is a good bolt for you and for new it's the best priced for a good rifle.
Savage Arms Stevens 305 22 Magnum - SV305 - LIPSEYS.COM
That is pretty much the exact same gun that I just got rid of but it was a little fancier version and a 7mm-08. I want a wood stock on this on gun. I have took a liking to them here latley.
.17HMR>.22mag imo
I am pretty sure I want a .17HMR, More knockdown on hogs then a .22 Magnum.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
That is pretty much the exact same gun that I just got rid of but it was a little fancier version and a 7mm-08. I want a wood stock on this on gun. I have took a liking to them here latley.

Yep its a cool cartridge im gonna buy this gun in .17HMR as of my next ones:

·
Registered
12,754 Posts

I have a friend that only hunts hogs with his .17. But I don't think they have more knock down power. Head shots are must on a hog with rimfires.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have a friend that only hunts hogs with his .17. But I don't think they have more knock down power. Head shots are must on a hog with rimfires.
.17HMR defiantly has more knock down power then a .22mag. Not much but its more, but I do agree head shots on hogs are a must.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts