Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Sorry to start another fuel economy thread....

I spent the better part of yesterday towing an enclosed cargo trailer (plus two dirtbikes and gear) all over the place. I was getting about 12.5mpg during the day (I only checked the screen a couple times) doing between 50 and 60.

At the end of the day I dropped off the trailer and all that stuff and decided to head to a friend's house an hour north of D.C. After about 15 minutes on the beltway I checked the MPG screen (on the Nav unit) and the thing read 19.7 mpg, so I reset it and it said 24.9 mpg a few minutes after that! "No way!" I thought, so I reset it and looked again a few minutes later, 21.8, 21.1 and 18.7 were the other numbers I got. It finally stayed at about 18 or so mpg for the rest of the trip (which is normal I think).

Does anyone know how accurate this thing is? Oh yeah, I had 1160 miles on the truck and my speed stayed between 55 and 65 up I95 with just me and a couple gear bags in the truck. I should have recorded the distance traveled and I would know for sure. This might sound weird, but do you think towing all day caused it to do "more with less" that night (at least for a short period of time)?

Cheers

·
Registered
266 Posts
You were probably travelling at a slight decline.

Step Up said:
Howdy all,

Sorry to start another fuel economy thread....

I spent the better part of yesterday towing an enclosed cargo trailer (plus two dirtbikes and gear) all over the place. I was getting about 12.5mpg during the day (I only checked the screen a couple times) doing between 50 and 60.

At the end of the day I dropped off the trailer and all that stuff and decided to head to a friend's house an hour north of D.C. After about 15 minutes on the beltway I checked the MPG screen (on the Nav unit) and the thing read 19.7 mpg, so I reset it and it said 24.9 mpg a few minutes after that! "No way!" I thought, so I reset it and looked again a few minutes later, 21.8, 21.1 and 18.7 were the other numbers I got. It finally stayed at about 18 or so mpg for the rest of the trip (which is normal I think).

Does anyone know how accurate this thing is? Oh yeah, I had 1160 miles on the truck and my speed stayed between 55 and 65 up I95 with just me and a couple gear bags in the truck. I should have recorded the distance traveled and I would know for sure. This might sound weird, but do you think towing all day caused it to do "more with less" that night (at least for a short period of time)?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Yes, I noticed this also. Every time I look at the instantaneous fuel economy bar graph on the NAV screen, it is way higher than the average mileage that I actually get. The average mileage on the NAV screen trip computer shows about 16.2, whereas by manually calculating by dividing miles traveled by gallons added as shown on the gas pump, I consistently get about 15. Now, since I never look at the NAV screen fuel economy while driving around town (I only look at it on the highway), it may drop way down, I don't know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bestatchess said:
Yes, I noticed this also. Every time I look at the instantaneous fuel economy bar graph on the NAV screen, it is way higher than the average mileage that I actually get.QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. I had this feature in a Grand Cherokee and it was very close so I figured the Titan would be the same way.

Eh, it's no biggie, is long as I don't run out of fuel I'm set!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts