Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: Do not load this much in your Titan, ever. I do not endorse this and only offer these photos as example of what NOT to do.

So, I did load 2400 in the Titan, and I have the Roadmaster Active Suspension. The load is 12 bags of sand, 12 bags of topsoil, and 24 bags of mulch. That was about 1920 pounds based on each bag's weight, then if you add myself, my daughter, gas, and random gear it was around 2400 lbs total.

The Roadmaster Active Suspension bills itself as adding "50% to your payload capacity". That's marketing BS, and honestly I am surprised you can say that in an ad, and even with that I was a bit over the payload + 50% of the payload.

The truck sat much lower, but still had room to spare. I did not bottom out, and it handled fine. Could I tell it was back there? Yes, but it wasn't too bad to be honest. I thought it would feel much different.

Again, don't exceed the payload on your truck's sticker.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had 2000+ pounds of cement pavers in my old stock t once. Weight centered on the axle.. it was riding the whole way on bump stops. i was only 5 minutes from home but my neighborhood is on a huge hill. Wouldnt recommend lol.
-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I put a pallet of wet sod in my truck once, Im guessing it was over 2500 pounds. I wouldnt do it again, and if my truck wasnt lifted, I think I would have ridden on bumpstops the whole way...

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's not the suspension that would concern me.

I'd be concerned because the rear axle looks like a twig compared to other trucks, I would imagine you could damage something in the rear axles pretty easily with that much weight, and also if it is a 2007 older, the shackles would probably give out.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It's not the suspension that would concern me.

I'd be concerned because the rear axle looks like a twig compared to other trucks, I would imagine you could damage something in the rear axles pretty easily with that much weight, and also if it is a 2007 older, the shackles would probably give out.
Yup it was an 04 and it had rear axle issuses when i traded it. Its still on the road though, I just saw it today. I know the guy who drives it.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I've had a full pallet of pellets in mine and I was actually surprised how well it sat and handled. Oh you know it's there but it wasn't bad at all. I have the 08 though with the higher capacity and larger rear axle and shackles.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Jackpot.
Repeated subjection to overload causes neat things to happen to rear ends.
Like broken bearings that support the outboard portions of the axle.
Sometimes the hub flange will snap off the axle too.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I just love hearing stories of people pushing our trucks to the limit and back! :teethmast

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In addition to the RAS, I do have the '08 shackles and bilstein shocks.

The axles concerns are valid, but I wont be doing this often. And it was only a few miles of 40 mph or less roads. But I did feel easily in control of the load, so as long as the axle held up I'd say it could do this a few times a year.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Since we're on the subject sort of, are the rear springs any heavier on 08+? I have an 06 with PRG Shackles and an 08+ Axle. Just wondering if my 06 springs compare. 08+ has higher payload of about 500#.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had 96 2x4's and 12 sheets of 1/2" OSB in the back of my T this past winter. Adding in driver and passengers, it was close to 2000 lbs of payload. Total weight was pushing 8000 lbs. A slight squat with the RAS. For the 7 mile trip home it was fine. I wouldn't do it every day, though.

Here's a good example of how not to load your 1/2 ton truck.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I had 96 2x4's and 12 sheets of 1/2" OSB in the back of my T this past winter. Adding in driver and passengers, it was close to 2000 lbs of payload. Total weight was pushing 8000 lbs. A slight squat with the RAS. For the 7 mile trip home it was fine. I wouldn't do it every day, though.

LMAO...I guess the cop behind him had a problem with his set-up as well!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Wow, that's hilarious/scary.

'Hey, Bubba. I ain't got my tow chain wit me. Have that feller with the crane just put'er the back'.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've had a full pallet of pellets in mine and I was actually surprised how well it sat and handled. Oh you know it's there but it wasn't bad at all. I have the 08 though with the higher capacity and larger rear axle and shackles.
Yep, I buy the 40lb bag pallets every year. I normally get the Canadian ton pallets which have 60 bags, total is 2400 lbs. I just have them slide the pallet as close to the front as they can and driver her home!! I got my truck this past December and bought two pallets to get through the winter, seemed to haul the load fine both times.

·
Premium Member
21,311 Posts

Looks like he has a nice set of wheelie bars back there on that loaded car.

I would write them a ticket just of being obscenely stupid.

·
Premium Member
46,429 Posts
I had 2000+ pounds of cement pavers in my old stock t once. Weight centered on the axle.. it was riding the whole way on bump stops. i was only 5 minutes from home but my neighborhood is on a huge hill. Wouldnt recommend lol.
-Dave

i know that road, ton+ of pavers :eeeek:...yeah i wouldnt recommend that again...two trips perhaps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Twice I brought home 2000 lbs. of wood brick fuel in my 2004. Had them load the pallat slowly while I watched the springs compress. there was about 2 inches left before the bump stops. I took it pretty easy (back roads and not over 35 mph) and I didn't feel it bottom out on the 6 mile trip home.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
well heres what your T will look like with either a pallet of sod (2000lbs) or a yard of dirt and 4 tires (3000lbs). Weights are close estimates. I would no recommend doing either if you have larger tires and they stick out past the fender, or you will smash your bedside. my fenders are 4 inches taller then stock and im on 37s so imagine stock ones...

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I needed a load of dirt and some mulch today. I had my trailer on the back for the mulch and the truck bed for the dirt. But were a yard worth. I'm pretty sure it was close to the bump stops. Power I could not even tell it was there. I drove pretty careful so as not to bottom out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts