Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I'm really impressed with the truck but I have a couple of things that kind of upset me. Title should have stated it's a 2011.

First off is the tachometer reflecting in the drivers side window at night. On the dark highway it's impossible to see in the drivers side mirror, all I see is the tach. No amount of dimming the cluster other than shutting it off completely helps.

Next is the factory mud flaps. They aren't even as wide as the tires are so they don't protect the vehicle anywhere near as well as they should. Who designed that part of the truck???

Third is the short tailpipe. Anyone that lives in the north knows that the rear bumper will rust quickly when the exhaust fog piles up on the bumper. If the tailpipe was three inches longer it would clear the bumper.

I'm going to get some more mileage on it before I decide if the way it shifts is "normal" or not. It seems to be hesitating and skip shifting from time to time.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
So far I'm really impressed with the truck but I have a couple of things that kind of upset me. Title should have stated it's a 2011.

First off is the tachometer reflecting in the drivers side window at night. On the dark highway it's impossible to see in the drivers side mirror, all I see is the tach. No amount of dimming the cluster other than shutting it off completely helps.
That's interesting! I have the older pre- '08 style cluster and don't have that problem. Do you have big tow or the standard mirrors?

Next is the factory mud flaps. They aren't even as wide as the tires are so they don't protect the vehicle anywhere near as well as they should. Who designed that part of the truck???
Even if the mud flaps were larger, you wouldn't get 100% protection because the wheels stick out from the body sides a little bit on these trucks. I think the only way to completely eliminate the problem is to get aftermarket fender flares and then modify aftermarket mud flaps to work with them. Or, you can try fabbing up some little "extenders" that attach to the bottom of the stock mud flaps. That might work. I thought about doing that to mine until I figured out that I would probably need fender flares as well for complete protection.

Third is the short tailpipe. Anyone that lives in the north knows that the rear bumper will rust quickly when the exhaust fog piles up on the bumper. If the tailpipe was three inches longer it would clear the bumper.
I'd cut the ugly stock tip off and weld a nice custom tip on the end so it exits in front of the rear bumper on the right side. That's what I did and it looks so much better.

I'm going to get some more mileage on it before I decide if the way it shifts is "normal" or not. It seems to be hesitating and skip shifting from time to time.
That seems to be a problem many here have with the newer Titan's. On my '05, it always shifts smooth and I get absolutely no hesitation at all. However, you might want to check out the posts by VK56DEHAN. He's had several issues with shifting, low idle vibration and bogging. I do know that Nissan revised the torque convertor lock-up strategy on the 2010 Titan so perhaps that has something to do with the weird shifting issues many are experiencing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the towing mirrors that are heated. I plan on adding an exhaust tip for sure.

I'm not a fan of flares unless the truck is lifted and bigger tires are on it. I'll have to look around to see if there are any wider aftermarket flaps that fit the body like the factory ones do.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, there are pros and cons of owning a T. But the cons are nothing compared to many pros.
I know that, and I wasn't bashing the T, I was just stating my own observations being a new owner. I love the truck so far. :)

But I suddenly have a high pitched wind whistle on the drivers side that I need to track down. LOL.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Pre-2008 and the gauge cluster reflects in the back window. In all honesty in was annoying at first and now I don't even notice it anymore. I bet the same happens to you. At minimum you should still be able to see headlights in the mirror if you need to switch lanes.

They are junk. They should have been made of a flexible material not rigid. Snow sticks to them in the winter and piles up. Eventually they start falling off from the weight of the snow and the highway salt eats away the double side tape they are attached with. I ripped all of mine off, scraped the leftover tape off and had the whole bottom below the door moulding redone and repainted with the rubberized rock chip protectant stuff.

This isn't a problem. My Titan is 6 years old. I still have the original exhaust system on and my bumper is not rusting.

Bring it to the dealer and have the problem documented in case you have future issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts