Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So currently I have a 2017 Pro4x with the stock General Grabbers. They are down to about 4/32 which is where I like to replace tires. I keep going back and forth on either 265/70 and 275/70. I know the 265 is the size for any other 18 in other trims. I also know the 275 is about a half inch bigger, but aside from the OE tires, every other tire I see is E range. I am looking to maintain my mileage and towing ability that I currently have. So I guess long story short, has anyone taken a size down on a Pro4x to a 265 series? Or gone with E range tires without any significant impact on the ride quality and mileage? The tires I was looking at are the Falken Wildpeak ATW3.

Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
So currently I have a 2017 Pro4x with the stock General Grabbers. They are down to about 4/32 which is where I like to replace tires. I keep going back and forth on either 265/70 and 275/70. I know the 265 is the size for any other 18 in other trims. I also know the 275 is about a half inch bigger, but aside from the OE tires, every other tire I see is E range. I am looking to maintain my mileage and towing ability that I currently have. So I guess long story short, has anyone taken a size down on a Pro4x to a 265 series? Or gone with E range tires without any significant impact on the ride quality and mileage? The tires I was looking at are the Falken Wildpeak ATW3.

Thanks
Good question and I am wondering the same. The truck already rides quite firm and LT tires will surly add to it..

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I just went with a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S and drove NJ to Virginia and back and what a great ride. I didn’t go to E rated tires out of fear they’d take away from the ride which is my absolute favorite part of owning this truck. My truck was at 33,000 miles and the grabbers had at least another 10K left on them but wanted them off as snow is approaching. Our tires are T speed rated and range E are S rated and Costco won’t install them as they are not vehicle specific and I didn’t feel like removing and installing them on the truck in the lot. If you bring them the wheels they will do what you want. The Michelin’s have an 800 tread wear rating and a 70,000 mile tread life provided you align and rotate them. Yes , I did consider changing sizes but decided against it.
Clint

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did the same thing as Clint. I had the Nissan dealer install a set of 265/70R18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S non-load E rated tires back in July on my 2017 Pro-4x. Coincidentally, I had just over 32k miles on the original 275/70R18 Grabbers as well. My main worry was the speedometer being slightly over estimated, but I have only seen minimal if any changes compared to GPS. The ride is much smoother than the OEM Grabbers, and the wet traction has been much better. I don't do off-roading, but just the occasional dirt road driving, so that wasn't a concern for me. I do think I am getting some better fuel economy now compared to before with less aggressive tread pattern and slightly lighter per tire weight...though this may be just 1-1.5 mpg improvement. If I remember correctly, the weight of the load-E rated Michelin Defenders in OEM size were like 10 lbs heavier per tire. Price was what made the decision easy for me at the time as the set of 4 was about $80 cheaper installed compared to the OEM Grabbers due to a Michelin instant rebate.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went with a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S and drove NJ to Virginia and back and what a great ride. I didn’t go to E rated tires out of fear they’d take away from the ride which is my absolute favorite part of owning this truck. My truck was at 33,000 miles and the grabbers had at least another 10K left on them but wanted them off as snow is approaching. Our tires are T speed rated and range E are S rated and Costco won’t install them as they are not vehicle specific and I didn’t feel like removing and installing them on the truck in the lot. If you bring them the wheels they will do what you want. The Michelin’s have an 800 tread wear rating and a 70,000 mile tread life provided you align and rotate them. Yes , I did consider changing sizes but decided against it.
Clint
Honestly if I didnt need a tire that was good in the snow I would do the same as those are great tires. But I live in buffalo, and really outside of buffalo where we get more snow, so I need a A/T tire and prefferably one rated for severe snow.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I went from 275 Grabber to 265 Toyo Open Country CT. Like you said, lose 1/4" clearance and speedo is maybe 1 mph off at highway speeds, but you won't notice any difference. Toyo CT is E rated and very heavy - ride suffered a little, noisier and gas mileage suffered a little but handling improved and believe it was due to stiffer sidewall. I really like them so far with 8k miles. What little I've read about Falkens is good. I will only buy E rated for 4x4 and was nervous for 30k miles with the P Grabbers, although never had a flat. Grabber ATX is good in snow and Continental TerrainContact looks good for mostly highway use. I have Toyo AT3 on a 4Runner I own and really like them too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure about the sizing you asked about, but I just bought the Falkens you’re looking at.

I havent been able to use them in the snow yet, but they are much better in the rain than the stock Goodyear SR-A’s that came on my truck.

I did not get the LT tires, I went with the P rated tires. The P is going to be better on the snow and have a better ride quality according to the all the reviews on YouTube due to the rubber compound. Plus the max load I tow is about 8000-8500 lbs in the summer so the P tires are plenty for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 18 PRO4X and went with the BFG KO2 A/T in the stock size and love them. Same ride quality as stock on road, but way better off road, snow, ice etc, and they tow great. I also get the same MPG as stock (17.4). I had them on an F150 and put 38k miles on them and they were still in excellent shape. The BFG are lighter then the Wildpeak, which is why I did not go w the Falkens.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Those KO2’s are great, I put a set of brand new take offs from a new Raptor on my Jeep with Fuel wheels and they are great and also seem to never wear down. Nice roads banners and killer in the snow.
Clint

1 - 13 of 13 Posts