Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2014 Pro 4x with full towing package. The manual indicates 9200 lb. towing capacity. 570 lb hitch weight.

Purchased a 6000 lb. 30’ travel trailer which will have a bumper hitch with sway and equalization capabilities.
It seems we’ll be ok but would like to hear any ideas on this setup.

Also, does the Pro 4x offer better suspension strength than a non-4x and would that make this combination better?
I understand this is dry weight.
Thx,
Chas

·
Premium Member
68,626 Posts
30' box, or 30' total?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Pro4X has the same suspension as any 4wd, I believe.

If the dry weight is 6k, you're going to want to check your weight "as towed" because dry weight isn't just minus fluid, it's also minus batteries and propane and other gear, which could push you up close to the limit (which will be reduced by any additional gear or passengers in the truck). Best course is to get set up like you'll tow, with people, coolers, gear, toys, etc., and swing by a truck stop and pay for a pass on their certified scales. Weigh the trailer and the truck/trailer combo, and if you can, weigh the tongue. It'll help you get your WDH set properly.

·
Premium Member
68,626 Posts
I have a 25' box, 29' total. It's about what I am comfortable towing. Wind and big trucks zooming past is interesting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what Edmunds says about the 2014 Pro-x. We have the electronic rear lock so I assume we have the Rancho shocks and lower rear ratio. (I will look at the shocks).
"The off-road-oriented Pro-4X trim level is offered on four-wheel-drive Nissan Titans (except long-bed crew cabs) and features all the equipment from the base SV model and SV Value Truck package. It adds off-road-tuned Rancho shocks, unique 18-inch wheels, all-terrain tires, a locking rear differential, the lower final drive ratio, heavy-duty skid plates, the heavy-duty battery and unique two-tone cloth upholstery. "

Would the shocks be better for towing? Lower rear ratio?

We will go to truck shop and get the weight info.

Nice to hear 25' box and 29' total is working. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
68,626 Posts
I installed air bags just for a little more stability (And I got a hell of a deal on some from a member). They helped a lot, that and L/T tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting about the tires. We have Mastercraft Courser AXT.... LT275/70R18. They are very loud and getting to where we will need to change. Plan to go to Michelin Defenders which get great reviews in this forum. We do not do off-road.
Any towing experience with these (expensive) Michelins vs AT while towing?
Thx

·
Registered
511 Posts
I towed a very similar trailer for several years with my 06 Big tow CC LE Titan and had no issues. My trailer is a Keystone CougarXlite 26BHS that had a dry weight of 6500. Never had an issue. Make sure to have the axel vent mod done if you don’t already and take care of the rear did, changing fluid regularly, etc... My rear diff finally gave out and darn the luck, had to buy a 2018 SV Titan. It pulls much better than the old gal but don’t like having a payment again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I towed a very similar trailer for several years with my 06 Big tow CC LE Titan and had no issues. My trailer is a Keystone CougarXlite 26BHS that had a dry weight of 6500. Never had an issue. Make sure to have the axel vent mod done if you don’t already and take care of the rear did, changing fluid regularly, etc... My rear diff finally gave out and darn the luck, had to buy a 2018 SV Titan. It pulls much better than the old gal but don’t like having a payment again!
Thanks for the info. What is the "axel vent mod"? How often did you change the rear fluid?
We pick up the trailer next week but won't put on serious mileage until next year.
The owner's manual says if you start towing, don't go over 50MPH for 500 miles. Interesting.
Nice to know you had good luck with 6500 dry weight. Best I can tell ours is about 6000.
Thanks,
Chas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts