Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i went to the track with my s&b and i ran the same exact times.. but here's the kicker. i can't get traction to save my life now. i spin the tire for a good 3-4 seconds off the line (i am driving around the water) or i think i'd be running like a 15.2... any opinions? i need new tires in a bad way but aside from that, what else might help me improve my time?

edit: also it was like 80 degrees as opposed to the 56 degrees on my first run.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
the_kernel said:
okay so i went to the track with my s&b and i ran the same exact times.. but here's the kicker. i can't get traction to save my life now. i spin the tire for a good 3-4 seconds off the line (i am driving around the water) or i think i'd be running like a 15.2... any opinions? i need new tires in a bad way but aside from that, what else might help me improve my time?

edit: also it was like 80 degrees as opposed to the 56 degrees on my first run.
lower the tire pressure to 20 psi (only at the track and going straight)
spin the tires for 6-10 seconds and generate some heat
stage then power brake to 1500-1700rpm (if the other person is slow to stage idle until they are almost done)
don't stomp the pedal:thedevil: - like a wise man once told me "it's not a binary switch son" :eek: Depress the pedal quickly and smoothly.
practice your launches and get a "feel" for how quickly you can feed the throttle. Adjust the launch rpm a bit to see what is best for you and your truck

have fun - put air back in rear tires before driving home then post some numbers for us to read :read:

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I'm sure you didn't run the exact same times in all the categories. Please post a pic of your timeslip.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You can master the one wheel peel at the track. I'm pulling 2.1 60' times.

It just takes practice. You can't just slam your foot to the floor.

I do suggest doing a small burn out...not to generate heat...won't help much on your stock RADIALS. But it does make sure you did not pick up any water or other soft rubber.

You can air them down slightly.....but I haven't found the need.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fox Delta said:
lower the tire pressure to 20 psi (only at the track and going straight)
spin the tires for 6-10 seconds and generate some heat
stage then power brake to 1500-1700rpm (if the other person is slow to stage idle until they are almost done)
don't stomp the pedal:thedevil: - like a wise man once told me "it's not a binary switch son" :eek: Depress the pedal quickly and smoothly.
practice your launches and get a "feel" for how quickly you can feed the throttle. Adjust the launch rpm a bit to see what is best for you and your truck

have fun - put air back in rear tires before driving home then post some numbers for us to read :read:
i did all the things you mentioned except burning the tires and letting air out, i should try letting some air out but burning radials doesnt do much good i hear, that's why i just drive around the water. on my first trip i tried both ways and it didnt seem to make a difference cept wearing on my already worn tire.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
True...burning a radial tire doesn't do a whole lot of good.

My suggestion...just spin it a few revolutions. It cleans the tire and gets any water you picked up from the track off. Don't melt it....just spin for a second and roll forward.

Don't put your foot to the floor. Go about half way....as you feel the truck begin to roll without wheel spin you can roll into the throttle. Once the truck is moving without any wheel spin...you can typically just roll to the floor with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what size rims are on the titan? if your having traction problems is it possable to go with a drag radial i am running a drag tire on my truck. and have not really had too many traction issues since. it just a thought.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
he first needs to get a rear limited slip diff like the trutrac, kinda pointless to add drag radials just yet since he hasnt done the uprev tun to remove the throttle restriction that the titan has till 40 mph, if he got the thing tuned from uprev he'd prob gain 1/2 sec alone from drive by wire removal.. then he'd definatly need a trutrac and drag radials..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toomnymods said:
he first needs to get a rear limited slip diff like the trutrac, kinda pointless to add drag radials just yet since he hasnt done the uprev tun to remove the throttle restriction that the titan has till 40 mph, if he got the thing tuned from uprev he'd prob gain 1/2 sec alone from drive by wire removal.. then he'd definatly need a trutrac and drag radials..
see thats what i am wanting to know i dont know anything about the titan. its something i want to learn about. thanks for the info do you have a link to this uprev thing you talk about. it sound cool. what does it do exactly?

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
03ramit1 said:
see thats what i am wanting to know i dont know anything about the titan. its something i want to learn about. thanks for the info do you have a link to this uprev thing you talk about. it sound cool. what does it do exactly?
http://www.uprev.com/ Uprev is one of the few options Titan owners have in the way of an ECU reprogram or chip. Check out the site I posted.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
the_kernel said:
i did all the things you mentioned except burning the tires and letting air out, i should try letting some air out but burning radials doesnt do much good i hear, that's why i just drive around the water. on my first trip i tried both ways and it didnt seem to make a difference cept wearing on my already worn tire.
hmm -

I hate to hear that it didn't help any! well, if you aren't ready for tires and truetrac - then I must go back to easing in to the throttle. You can get a feel for how much throttle to give (just like you were leaving a stop light agressively) and count "one mississippi" before your foot hits the floor. that may be a bit slow -- maybe "one mississip" weeee :upsidedow
practice practice practice :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts