Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice site. I also belong to another site that has a member that did a couple dyno pulls. Very intresting results.
http://pub175.ezboard.com/ftunfsfrm36.showMessage?topicID=136.topic

My question is I currently have a 4wd frontier. In the 2 years that I have had it I have had to use 4wd maybe 5 times. That was only because it snowed like 38 inches in Maryland last year. Does the lsd on the titan do a good job of keep wheel slip to a minimum. My frontier has lsd but it breaks the tires lose with no problem. I am really having a hard time jutifying getting 4wd for such limited useage.

My other question is, I was planning on waiting until May when the locker comes with the off-road package. A 2wd with a locker should do just has good has a 4wd with lsd in the snow. Can I get some input from the more knowledgeable members of the board.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yea, Jet posts here all the time. He's pretty proud of his dyno results. =)

My one question for you is this: If you're only getting your truck into 4w maybe 2 or 3 times a year, why are you that worried about the locking rear diff? Personally, I think it's inconsequential for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work in the marine business. If I am on a slick boat ramp I think the locker might help if the lsd breaks loose. Other then that I really don't have a use for it. Just getting some feedback and opinions.

·
Registered
740 Posts
2wd locker vs 4wd

merctech said:
I work in the marine business. If I am on a slick boat ramp I think the locker might help if the lsd breaks loose. Other then that I really don't have a use for it. Just getting some feedback and opinions.
IMO, I don't think having 2wd with a locker is equal to having 4wd. Yes in both cases you only have 2 wheels driving, but in the locker situation you have 2 wheels pushing, while in 4wd you have one pulling (with all ther front end weight) and one pushing. My experience shows that you get much more traction 90% of the time with 4wd over 2wd with locker.

As an aside, I am no expert in this area!, I do know people who trailer boats alot and they choose 4 wheel just for the launching of their boats.

·
Registered
780 Posts
no lsd in titans, yet

titan has no lsd..yet
and no one knows yet of anyone offering an after market e-locker in rear nor arb locker in front axle

·
Registered
47 Posts
The dyno pulls have some nice numbers. But don't forget, the area under the curve and gear ratios are more important than peak numbers.

It would be nice to see a Hemi and Nissan on the same plot, same dyno, same day, similar gear ratio.

Maybe the Dodge has greater drivetrain loss? Who cares. What is sick, the Nissan 5.6 is standard in all Titans, the Hemi is an $800 option.

In the snow, one BIG feature of 4WD is 4-Lo. You have a lot more control of power and wheel spin. Deep stuff and hills are much easier to negotiate or impossible in 2WD or 4-Hi.

Also, 4-Lo is great for pulling a boat up a ramp. On a low tide, your rear wheels may be on slime. And the lower gear ratio will make the pull effortless. My brother's Tundra can just about idle our boat up a ramp in 4-Lo. 2-Hi or 4-Hi can take a lot of brake and throttle modulation. 4-Lo, let of the brake, it goes up the ramp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts