Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Tahoe, Ca and am wondering how my 2WD will do on the road when the snow comes. Anyone live in areas where the main roads get snowed on with 2wd? I have some chains but its such a pain in the *** to put them on and take them off when it dumps. Any tires particularly perform better in the snow? Thanx guys.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
TitanmediC said:
I just moved to Tahoe, Ca and am wondering how my 2WD will do on the road when the snow comes. Anyone live in areas where the main roads get snowed on with 2wd? I have some chains but its such a pain in the *** to put them on and take them off when it dumps. Any tires particularly perform better in the snow? Thanx guys.
2WD can do ok w/ decent snow tires (e.g. Bridgestone Blizzak) particularly w/ TrueTrac limited slip rear axle and some weight in the bed. I used to drive a 2WD Chevy around Aspen back roads in fairly deep snow all winter, but I usually kept it chained up w/ sacks of gravel in the back.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Run some snows man! Hook up some DMZ3 or X-Ice badboys, and let the good times roll. Laugh at the others sliding around.

Remember...sometimes 4wd means that you are simply spinning 4 tires instead of just two

·
Super Moderator
37,238 Posts
TitanmediC said:
I lived in Plumas County for two winters with a 4X2. Snow tires help but you will also need chains and weight in the bed for the times before the plows get to your route. Chains will be mandatory on 80 and 50 at times, so be prepared.

Chains are easy once you've put them on and off a bijillion times.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Run some snows man! Hook up some DMZ3 or X-Ice badboys, and let the good times roll. Laugh at the others sliding around.

Remember...sometimes 4wd means that you are simply spinning 4 tires instead of just two
so i looked on tirerack for pricing and reviews. i see that they all say you should run all 4 wheels with snow tires. would it be a big deal to run them just in the back? it looks like the blizzaks got the best reviews?

·
Registered
365 Posts
add some weight you will be fine. it will take a 4x4 truck to be in 4x4 to go where you can in 2wd (in snow)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bgbdwlf2500 said:
add some weight you will be fine. it will take a 4x4 truck to be in 4x4 to go where you can in 2wd (in snow)
ur saying just add weight and don't worry about snow tires? or just the rear snow tires are fine and add weight?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
titanmedic - if you go with snow tires then do all 4 - In that area if I remember correctly you have to have the tires with the "mountain and snowflake symbol" or tire chains and really and truly tire chains work when nothing else (besides tracks) does - If money is an issue (when is it not?) then get the chains and be verrry careful - also check on the Shurtrax - www.shurtrax.com it's a quick and easy way to add weight to the back

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
2wd and snow is just not a good combination. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The BFG AT KO has the mountain/snow flake symbol in most sizes, and have a very good repetition in the snow. When I drove them in it the roads were for the most part clear, with hard pack and ice at a snow park, where they did fine ... but that was slow speed.

If I lived in Tahoe, I'd consider the Observe™ Toyo Open Country G-02 Plus ... These are true light truck tires too, and they have them in the stock '04-'07 Off Road size, (LT285/70/17), as well as the SE and LE, LT265/70/18 size.
http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tire...0Open%20Country%20G-02%20Plus&category=winter

The passenger rated Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 has the stock XE, as well as the stock SE and LE sizes, but not the Off Road pkg. size.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

A lot of the MT tires are pinned for studs, so for the lifted trucks running 35s, this might be the best option, but I don't know if tire studs are still allowed in the Tahoe basin. They are good for ice and hard packed snow.

·
Registered
940 Posts
TitanmediC said:
I just moved to Tahoe
You're going to love it there. I lived in South Lake (Meyers) for a year, and Truckee for 3 years. Lake Tahoe is an amazing place. As far as driving in snow, 4wd is preferable, but 2wd is certainly doable. You'll learn a lot about momentum. There has been good advice posted so far. Invest in a good set of chains sized properly for your tires, I like the ones with cam locks so you don't have to use rubber tightners or bungees. I like Pewag chains http://www.pewagchain.com/. There is a good Pewag dealer in Newcastle, just west of Auburn on I-80. With some practice you should be able to throw them on in less than 10 minutes (drape them over both tires at the same time and you only have to move the truck once) and pull them off even faster. If you carry a couple of bags of sand/gravel for weight, you have something to spread on the road for traction if you get stuck on ice or hard pack.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've driven my 2wd Titan through three winters living in the Canadian Prairies with no problems (no chains nor weight in the back) but I do have a Leer truck cap on the truck so I guess that definitely helps by adding weight onto the back tires. I just run with the original factory tires that came on the truck (all season).
But with living in Tahoe, I would imagine that you probably get more snow than where I live - therefore the advice given so far (chains and weight in the back) should see you through the snowy winters.

·
Registered
940 Posts
hunter said:
I do have a Leer truck cap on the truck so I guess that definitely helps by adding weight onto the back tires.
A couple hundred pounds of truck cap is about the same as a couple of bags of gravel.

I would also add that if you drive mostly on the main roads around town (rather than to outlying areas, or over one of the summits out of the basin), you probably won't need chains very often. Maybe 10 times over the winter.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
travelship said:
A couple hundred pounds of truck cap is about the same as a couple of bags of gravel.

I would also add that if you drive mostly on the main roads around town (rather than to outlying areas, or over one of the summits out of the basin), you probably won't need chains very often. Maybe 10 times over the winter.
very good advice good advice from everyone, thank you. and yes i aleady love it up here. i see that u live in Ventura. i've lived in Camarillo all my life and just needed to get away and experience living somewhere completely different. just got first snow today only an inch or so tho. sounds like i'll just keep my Cooper Discoverer AT/R's and add some sand bags.

i already have chains that i bought for 315/75/17's a long time ago that do have the cam locks i'm just not sure about fitting the width and am concerned about them hitting my 18's and effing them up. the diameter is adjustable so thats no problem. i bought some used 315/75/17's on offroad wheels with about 55-60% tread left so theyre technically only around 33.5 to 34" diameter. i have DR's cranked to about 2.5" right now but could go higher obviously. if these could fit then my chains would work perfect. think i'll have any rubbing issues?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If you do decide to get snow tires, I would highly recomend the Blizzacks. I live in Monument Colorado and we get wicked snows here. My family has blizzacks on all of our cars except my truck. They are awesome snow tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts