Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LoL...

So the inlaws are in town and going to the grocery store and putting bags in the back seat doesnt work when two others are back there......

Did a quick 15 dollar mod....10 min fix.......

I got a 2x8x10 and cut it down to 61.25" (I have factory bedliner)

Then I used rafter joist metal ties to tie in two fwd facing 15.5" 2x8 boards:

2x10 Joist Hanger by Simpson Strong Tie - JUS210 - More Joist hangers and rafter ties at doitbest.com

With crates:

Close up with 45 cut on end/belt sanded smooth:

-J

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Nice, I use a 2x8 to hold my sand bags In winter but I don't have the dividers.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Way to think outside the box in this mod, Good Work.

Hey Fly boy, here is another entry for your Redneck Engineering DIY mods Thread.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
You should paint it a flat black to match the bedliner.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah get a can of grill paint or bedliner in a can to finish it off. I made a bottom liner for my UWS bed tool box yesterday. Cut a piece of plywood to fit, spray flat back, then take a roll of toolbox drawer liner from Northern Tool and cover the board and adhere with a staplegun on the bottomside.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didnt take pics, but since my inlaws were in town, my father in law wanted one for his 2005 F150........I made him one and bed lined that same day since he doesn't have a bed cover......Also went to the corner store and picked up some free milk crates...lol...

We used my bedliner cans i had, so ill be picking me up a few more cans and doing mine with bedliner pretty soon...

stayed good......
-J

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
love this idea will be hooking myself up this weekend. what are you using to hold it in place
No need to, it snugs up just fine, has decent weight to it, and the fwd facing 15.5 inch boards line it up straight, etc....

I would like to note, that 15.5 inch still left about an 1inch away from the tailgate...i didnt want it hitting or getting that close, so i just measured approx and went from there..... of course do your own measuring and fab as you please.

-J

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Nice mod!!

I have the more expensive options that came with the truck-- sliding tray which can be adjusted to hold stuff between tray and front or rear tailgate and also hold stuff in the tray, or the bed extender flipped inward, which probably wont work with some bed covers...

·
Registered
191 Posts
good idea. also if you replace the joist supports with a set of hinges, you could collapse the whole thing down quickly into a smaller package when you needed the whole bed for something else. and you could also countersink/glue some stronger magnets into end of the 15.5", where it touches the 2x8, and directly across into the 2x8 to keep the 15.5" boards locked in place when the boards are fully extended. just a thought?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What's the purpose of the 45° cuts on the short boards?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good idea. also if you replace the joist supports with a set of hinges, you could collapse the whole thing down quickly into a smaller package when you needed the whole bed for something else. and you could also countersink/glue some stronger magnets into end of the 15.5", where it touches the 2x8, and directly across into the 2x8 to keep the 15.5" boards locked in place when the boards are fully extended. just a thought?
not a bad idea at all.....good thinking....

What's the purpose of the 45° cuts on the short boards?
I did that just so if im ever climbing up there, etc i wont corner myself......im getting old...:confused:

-J

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not to thread resurrect, but I am profoundly grateful for this thread. I've been getting tired of chasing groceries across my long bed titan, not to mention trying to crawl all the way back under the cover to retrieve my snow shovel and broom. I was going to buy a bed divider, but balked a little bit at the price of a new one from the dealership. I searched the forum to see if someone was selling one at a decent price, and came across this thread. I spent about an hour's worth of labor and $25, and achieved everything I wanted from the $300 bed divider.

I used a 2x12 and some gate hardware handles to make my divider:

Because of the shape of my util-i-trac and bed cover, I had to relieve each end by 45º to clear the channels:

Everything clears my cover:

A little bed liner spray paint and a couple of clamps, and no more chasing my snow shovel and broom under the cover:

I can put it in the back channels if I need the bed space, and it still clears the cover. As an added benefit, it creates a little fenced off area to throw stuff, like gas cans or jacks.

If I really need bed space, I can bungee it up to my util-i-trac cleats:

Installed and ready to go:

Now that I live in Colorado, I have become accustomed to finding several inches of snow on my car and being plowed in. Without opening the bed cover, I can reach in and roll the snow shovel and broom right out of the brackets:

And here is my truck all buttoned up and organized:

Thanks again OP, if you are still on this forum. My only regret is that this didn't occur to me earlier!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great work johnnyE!

Looks good! Glad u like it....i use mine a lot and its held up great still....

-J

1 - 20 of 29 Posts