Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just curious what options I have for purchasing 3.73 gears? I called hoopers and they still have to modify everything in the differential. I saw some from richmond but why the hell are they only for 2008-up? Also couldn't find 3.73 gears from superior only 4.10 and 4.56 which is way too much for me. I have 35's on my truck right now with the 2.94 non big tow gears and last year I purchased a set of 3.36 big tow gears from another member here but now I am not so sure that is gonna be enough gear for me because I do tow a boat during the summer and could use a little more go. So I think I would like to get some 3.73's and sell these 3.36's I have.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4x4parts.com has them. I have their 4.56 gears for about 6 months now and no real complaints.
No REAL complaints? Do you have any issues with it? Also did you get the complete kit with bearings and everything needed to install? If so did they end up needing anything else last minute to install the gears that didn't come with the kit? I thought I came across a thread on here that said that someone bought the kit and it was missing stuff? Can't quite remember. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was noticing on the 4x4 parts website it shows a different ring and pinion for the 04-05 model year and the 06-07, why is that? Also it says for the 06-07 you must have a flange from the 04-05. What flange are they talking about and why?:confused:

·
Vendor
711 Posts
Well I was noticing on the 4x4 parts website it shows a different ring and pinion for the 04-05 model year and the 06-07, why is that? Also it says for the 06-07 you must have a flange from the 04-05. What flange are they talking about and why?:confused:
I got the master install kit as well as the ring and pinion from them. Yes there were a few things wrong in the kit, you can check my post on the 4.56 review for details. I told them about the problems so hopefully they have fixed them by now. As for the flange, unless it came in the kit, I didn't have one.

The gears are made well and seem to be holding up great, so that's why I say they are good quality. As few options as there our for our trucks you don't really have the room to be super picky on things like the install kit.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Going from the 2.94's to say 3.73 is a good size jump and you will notice the difference...If you still want to do 75+ mph the 3.73's aren't a bad way to go...If you are towing and keeping 70 and under, you will really like the 4.10 gears (again, with 35" tires...)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going from the 2.94's to say 3.73 is a good size jump and you will notice the difference...If you still want to do 75+ mph the 3.73's aren't a bad way to go...If you are towing and keeping 70 and under, you will really like the 4.10 gears (again, with 35" tires...)
Yeah Lou I tow a boat during summer and that's about it. I am thinking by keeping the 3.73 my gas mileage should improve a bit from the stock 2.94's I have right now. I think for when I tow the 4.10's would be better however the other 90% of the time the 4.10's might not be so nice to me lol. Can anyone still explain to me what the flange is I am gonna need with the gears for the 06-07 titan?:confused:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just out of curiosity since we are all on the topic here, how hard would it be to covert my non-big tow Titan to a big tow Titan???? I already have the bt mirrors, class 4 hitch and tongue, hitch relay in, and all mods in my signature. I like the low end grunt power and I do not need to be going over 70mph. Speed limit where I am is 40mph anyway... LOL

Please, pros and cons of going from 2.94 to 3.36.... and most importantly... how $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Vendor
711 Posts
Yeah Lou I tow a boat during summer and that's about it. I am thinking by keeping the 3.73 my gas mileage should improve a bit from the stock 2.94's I have right now. I think for when I tow the 4.10's would be better however the other 90% of the time the 4.10's might not be so nice to me lol. Can anyone still explain to me what the flange is I am gonna need with the gears for the 06-07 titan?:confused:
I'm not sure what the flange is, as I didn't need one on the 4.56 gears. Why don't you just call 4x4parts and ask, they are very helpful and can let you know what it is and why you need it.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Please, pros and cons of going from 2.94 to 3.36.... and most importantly... how $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
You would need to possibly re-flash the ECU to a "Big Tow"....there is no real downside except finding a good set of used tow gears....When I did my TT/3.73 install, my old tow gears had may 12k miles on them...I didn't even sell them instead I gave them away to a TT member...

·
Registered
266 Posts
You would need to possibly re-flash the ECU to a "Big Tow"....there is no real downside except finding a good set of used tow gears....When I did my TT/3.73 install, my old tow gears had may 12k miles on them...I didn't even sell them instead I gave them away to a TT member...
So all I should need is a ring and pinion for my 2006 FFV...? What should that run me new? Thanks

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
So all I should need is a ring and pinion for my 2006 FFV...? What should that run me new? Thanks
I have no idea how much they cost, you may be better off looking for a complete rear end out of a crashed Titan....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just out of curiosity since we are all on the topic here, how hard would it be to covert my non-big tow Titan to a big tow Titan???? I already have the bt mirrors, class 4 hitch and tongue, hitch relay in, and all mods in my signature. I like the low end grunt power and I do not need to be going over 70mph. Speed limit where I am is 40mph anyway... LOL

I have the 3.36 gears that I never used that I bought from another member but have now decided to go to 3.73 gears. You will only need to reflash the ecu to keep the cruise control. I will sell them for 75 bucks if you want them. I researched this and lou is correct you will need to reflash the ecu from uprev. Here is the email I received from Jared at uprev about reflashing it to the big tow gears.

There are a few options. The first thing we will need to know is what your ECU part number is. You can get it from the dealer parts department if you provide them with your VIN.
Once we know the ECU part number I can build you a conversion ROM that will convert the ECU from the current ROM to the same ROM but for big tow.

The flash itself is $300. You can either ship the ECU to us and we can flash it here, or you can go to one of our pro tuners in SoCal (we have a few), and they can reflash the ECU for you on the spot. The $300 is MSRP so they will charge you the same, but no shipping required. They can also do a custom dyno tune for you to get your truck's tune dialed in and optimized.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts