Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this too much gear?? Is there a tuner to fix the loss of cruise control? I bought my truck used - how can I tell what gears are in it now?
Thanks!

·
Vendor
711 Posts
What size tires are you running the 20's on is the better question.

You cannot get cruise control if you go above the big tow gears. Its just the trade off of having bigger gears.

Titans come with two stock gear ratios either 2.94 of 3.36 with the big tow package. If you have the big tow package you will have the larger towing mirrors and a transmission oil temp gauge I believe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
265/60/20 is stock -- it's what's on now, if I were to change sizes, I may go to a 275/55/20. Thanks for any feedback. I realize most are making gear changes because of taller tires, but I'm sticking to stock (or very close to)

·
Registered
949 Posts
What size tires are you running the 20's on is the better question.

You cannot get cruise control if you go above the big tow gears. Its just the trade off of having bigger gears.

Titans come with two stock gear ratios either 2.94 of 3.36 with the big tow package. If you have the big tow package you will have the larger towing mirrors and a transmission oil temp gauge I believe.
so on my 2010 it dont have cruise, can I assume I have the larger gears?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
the stock tires should be 275/60/20 which are 33", but those gears and truetrac would make that bad boy launch like a mofo

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmm ive always wanted to put 3.73 i have seen setups for them also for 4.10 what u can do to fig. ur gear ratio out in a thoughtful is to jack the *** end up and rotate the drive shaft and count how many times it turns to make the tire turn one time. like example drive shaft turned 3 in 3/4 turn ok close to a 3.73. or just take the rear diff cover off,a nd count ring teeth. and divide by pinion teeth. straight up answer.. hope i helped.. .

08 titan. mods: cai,93 cortex tune, 3inch exhaust ,headers,electric fans ,transgo, trutrax,tbs,bored throttle body,125 shot of nos, smaller tires in rear to lower gear ratio.. 1/4 13.5 101 motor n 12.76 at 109 on spray.. with street tires..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the stock tires should be 275/60/20 which are 33", but those gears and truetrac would make that bad boy launch like a mofo

you're right on the size..

I hear ya on the launch too.. what makes me worry is i see folks saying after driving a big tow equipped vs non big tow, the big tow feels slower???? wth?

Going from a 2.94 to 3.73 is almost 27% increase in gear -- going by what my speedo and tach indicate at 65 mph = 1400rpm, it'd put me about 1750... at 80 mph now around 2100, i'd be near 2600 rpm
Did the big tow packages get a different tune to safe guard against wheelspin (moreso than non big tow?) I'd think an almost 3 ton truck with higher *numerical* gearing would jump outta the hole -- esp with true trac. Input anyone??
I do work my truck (im in roofing industry) - ocassionally i see heavy loads in bed and on a trailer. mostly though, im unladen. I was gonna get a ford diesel but decided to upgrade suspension and brakes on my truck instead. I'd like to do gears/tt and tuner as well

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Have any proof. Of those times your claiming in the 1/4 mile highly doubt it without drs or slicks...not to mention without a real tune....and to the other question unless it was a complete custom gear swap which you can very easily notice the torque difference ....you either have 2.94s or 3.35s and they don't even compare to 3.73s I have had all of them

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
hmm ive always wanted to put 3.73 i have seen setups for them also for 4.10 what u can do to fig. ur gear ratio out in a thoughtful is to jack the *** end up and rotate the drive shaft and count how many times it turns to make the tire turn one time. like example drive shaft turned 3 in 3/4 turn ok close to a 3.73. or just take the rear diff cover off,a nd count ring teeth. and divide by pinion teeth. straight up answer.. hope i helped.. .

08 titan. mods: cai,93 cortex tune, 3inch exhaust ,headers,electric fans ,transgo, trutrax,tbs,bored throttle body,125 shot of nos, smaller tires in rear to lower gear ratio.. 1/4 13.5 101 motor n 12.76 at 109 on spray.. with street tires..
Is this you in these 2 videos?

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...t/126971-titan-vs-hemi-found-youtube-new.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have any proof. Of those times your claiming in the 1/4 mile highly doubt it without drs or slicks...not to mention without a real tune....and to the other question unless it was a complete custom gear swap which you can very easily notice the torque difference ....you either have 2.94s or 3.35s and they don't even compare to 3.73s I have had all of them
??? WTH ??? Now, I'm really confused... I've read your post a few times & it gets more confusing each time. Do you have input on 3:73s with true trac on stock 20s/tires?

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
??? WTH ??? Now, I'm really confused... I've read your post a few times & it gets more confusing each time. Do you have input on 3:73s with true trac on stock 20s/tires?
sorry bout the the first question was ment for the other guy that posted saying in his sig that he ran 13.5 on motor.....and the other part was for you...i was saying you would can tell the diff if you haf 3.73s the pull wayyyyy diff then a 2.94 or a 3.35 gear titan.....you didnt really say what you want out of your truck and in our trucks there is a big diff between 3.73s and 4.11 gear...are you looking for a daily driver? or to race? to tow?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
sorry bout the the first question was ment for the other guy that posted saying in his sig that he ran 13.5 on motor.....and the other part was for you...i was saying you would can tell the diff if you haf 3.73s the pull wayyyyy diff then a 2.94 or a 3.35 gear titan.....you didnt really say what you want out of your truck and in our trucks there is a big diff between 3.73s and 4.11 gear...are you looking for a daily driver? or to race? to tow?
I know this isnt toward me but the OP and I have similar questions. Ill be using mine as a daily driver but want it to race down the track frequently. Not really towing much. Im looking more for performance and dont really care about MPG losses. Recommendations??

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
I know this isnt toward me but the OP and I have similar questions. Ill be using mine as a daily driver but want it to race down the track frequently. Not really towing much. Im looking more for performance and dont really care about MPG losses. Recommendations??
IMO 3.73s are the way to go....you WILL notice a huge difference...some people on here might say otherwise but most all of them have never had 3.73 or 4.11s.....and i have had about every gear ratio made for a titan...good luck with what you decide

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If you have 35's, 4.11's are perfect in my opinion. I might be slightly biased because this is what I have though.

37's + you're gonna want 4.56.

If you have 33's or less, 3.73 will work no problem.

·
Banned
1,269 Posts

ur motor wont last if u keep spraying on a superchips programmed titan lol plus ur mods are overinflated i doubt u run 12.7 without slips or vids :D

Reactions: WIKEDVK

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a bit more what I'm looking for: This is my daily driver, it's a worker at times (I'll either load 1000 in the bed or pull about 6000 trailer), but, mostly, it's unladen. I am going to do a few interior mods (Katzkins and some audio upgrades). As for performance/HD upgrades, I'm looking at a leveling kit, 5100s, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Frozen rotors/EBCs. My next series of mods would include: Uprev, LTs, airbox mod and I'm undecided on rear gear ratio and will also add True Trac.

@firelife, thx for the explanation

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
I've been wanting to upgrade to a set of 3.73 gears from my current 3.36 rear gears. I'm running 20x10 wheels with 305/50/20 tires and I have a detroit true trac.

My only concern is how much will the speedo be off?

I've already lost cruise control and i'm not worried about gas mileage. How is the speedometer sensor setup on the titan?

If I switch to 3.73s and the speedo is only 1-2mph off no big deal, i just hope its not 10mph since I haven't heard of any way to correct the speedo readings thru UPREV.

BTW I'm 2wd.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Im not trying to thread jack but I was wondering also what gears I should go with. Im running 305/55 R20 and wanted 3.73 or 4.11. Any recommendations on which would give me better performance?
You're 4wd....you don't get a choice...no gears for the front diff...

My only concern is how much will the speedo be off?
Speed comes off the ABS tone rings on the rear axles, so gear ratio alone won't make a change but of course tire OD does...My 35" tires have me 4 mph faster then indicated at 70 mph....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts