Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
sounds stupid, howd that happen? hate to think they came loose on their own. Almost sure some SOB was after your wheels

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I'd say you were damn lucky...
That could have been real ugly.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Oh snap!! Your rear ends toast isn't it??

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good thing you caught that, could of been ugly!!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 months ago Nissan torqued one of the lug nuts too tight. This weekend I had the wheel off. This was the first time it's been off since they put it on. I took all 6 lug nuts off, 1 was super tight... that 1 broke. No big deal I'll fix it this week. I finish up what I was doing, put the wheel back on. It only had 5 lug nuts, figured I'll be good for a few days until I get it replaced. I stopped at Nissan this afternoon, tell them I needed a new stud because you torqued it to tight. "No worries we'll get you in tomorrow".

3-4 miles after I left the dealership... I hear, "thud!, thud!, thud!, thud!" (the studs flying off), then the wheel starts to wobble. I immediately stop and pull over. I knew exactly what it was. 5 of my studs sheered off. The wheel was hanging on to dear life with 1 lug/stud.

Towed it back to Nissan. They're covering everything.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Damn, that was close. Glad to hear they are going to cover it and and good thing it didn't become worse before you caught it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
2 months ago Nissan torqued one of the lug nuts too tight. This weekend I had the wheel off. This was the first time it's been off since they put it on. I took all 6 lug nuts off, 1 was super tight... that 1 broke. No big deal I'll fix it this week. I finish up what I was doing, put the wheel back on. It only had 5 lug nuts, figured I'll be good for a few days until I get it replaced. I stopped at Nissan this afternoon, tell them I needed a new stud because you torqued it to tight. "No worries we'll get you in tomorrow".

3-4 miles after I left the dealership... I hear, "thud!, thud!, thud!, thud!" (the studs flying off), then the wheel starts to wobble. I immediately stop and pull over. I knew exactly what it was. 5 of my studs sheered off. The wheel was hanging on to dear life with 1 lug/stud.

Towed it back to Nissan. They're covering everything.
That's crazy, luckily that one lug held on. I was driving a ford F350 work truck last year that has a dump bed on it, I had it loaded with chunks of concrete. The rear end locked up and snapped the lugs on the passenger side dually's, tires went flying off in different directions. That was a fun ride!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
if a dealer cant teach their shop guys to properly torque down lug nuts, do u realy trust them to put all new lugs on?

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
At least your truck looks bad a$$ on the tow truck. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
They didn't over torque it, they crossthreaded it putting it on and instead of replacing it the guy just hammered it all the way down with an air gun.

·
Registered
615 Posts
WTF?? Sounds like someones job is ****-toast.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What dealership is it?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's crazy, luckily that one lug held on. I was driving a ford F350 work truck last year that has a dump bed on it, I had it loaded with chunks of concrete. The rear end locked up and snapped the lugs on the passenger side dually's, tires went flying off in different directions. That was a fun ride!
At least it was a work truck! Either way I would've **** myself.

if a dealer cant teach their shop guys to properly torque down lug nuts, do u realy trust them to put all new lugs on?
True... but at least it will be covered if it happens again lol.

At least your truck looks bad a$$ on the tow truck. :)
Positive note. It's always cool to see something bigger getting towed, than the tow truck towing it.

I bet that prob scratched up your rim a little bit didnt it? id go for getting a new one of those too
From what I looked at it didn't. Just the inside of the lug nut holes, which you can't see when the lug nuts are on. But if it did I'd be pissed and I wouldn't leave until they bought me a new wheel.

What dealership is it?
Power Nissan.

I was hoping to find some stronger studs or at least some stronger lug nuts. (Granted this wasn't the cause. I'd feel a little more at ease since I have the 35's under there).

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
thats why I watch them while working on my truck

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your experience is a good example why, short of an engine or transmission R&R, I do all of my own maintenance. It's not to save money, it's for the peace of mind knowing I did the job right and to spec. Seems like these days for every solid, intelligent, and competent tech out there, there's 3 or 4 winners who got into the field because they had no better career options.

Reactions: SpeedyTitan
1 - 20 of 46 Posts