Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find anyone in AZ to do the install. At least no one that I trust.

Does anyone know of a place?

Maybe a road trip to Cali and have Hoopers do it?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Theres a place in Phoenix. I think its called arizona differential. Some members have gotten complete rear diffs swapped there. Hopefully someone can confirm the name

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Reactions: TiTAN-

·
Registered
83 Posts
Las Vegas is just next door :) There's a couple places here, Dan's Driveline ($900 front and rear), Ted Weins 4x4 Custom Shop ($800 front and rear, TT is included), Huskers ($600 front and rear).

Reactions: TiTAN-

·
Registered
787 Posts
I can't find anyone in AZ to do the install. At least no one that I trust.

Does anyone know of a place?

Maybe a road trip to Cali and have Hoopers do it?
Where in AZ are you? Az differential will do a great job, I can personally vouch for them. They put in my dana 60, locker, and 4:10's during the summer and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks!

Las Vegas is just next door :) There's a couple places here, Dan's Driveline ($900 front and rear), Ted Weins 4x4 Custom Shop ($800 front and rear, TT is included), Huskers ($600 front and rear).
This is my next option. I head up there every now and then too.

Where in AZ are you? Az differential will do a great job, I can personally vouch for them. They put in my dana 60, locker, and 4:10's during the summer and I couldn't be happier.
Chandler. I'll give AZ diff a call tomorrow.

My powertrain warranty will be up in 2k miles. As one can imagine I'm a little paranoid about the rear end blowing. My axle seals have already gone at 40k miles, and they only replaced the seals.

I want at least 4.10's to turn my 35's. The stock 2.96 (or whatever they are) isn't cutting it.

I don't need the TT though. I just figured I'd get it as long as they're in there with the new gears.

What do you guys recommend if you were in my shoes?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The 4:10s are perfect, so much fun. Get the TT while you're at it, makes all the difference. I never had any problems with my rear end, but figured I wasn't going to risk it, rather just upgrade now. You are going to love it!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Awesome! Thanks!

This is my next option. I head up there every now and then too.

Chandler. I'll give AZ diff a call tomorrow.

My powertrain warranty will be up in 2k miles. As one can imagine I'm a little paranoid about the rear end blowing. My axle seals have already gone at 40k miles, and they only replaced the seals.

I want at least 4.10's to turn my 35's. The stock 2.96 (or whatever they are) isn't cutting it.

I don't need the TT though. I just figured I'd get it as long as they're in there with the new gears.

What do you guys recommend if you were in my shoes?
The TrueTrac is a must!

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-engine-transmission-drivetrain/112715-diff-gear-swap-info.html

My Personal Findings

I have found the 2004-2007 Titan/Dana 44 to be very reliable once the stock carrier is replaced.
In my case with a TrueTrac LSD, this eliminates the spider gear weak link in the stock carrier.
I have not experienced any broken internal parts nor axle seal leaks.
I play off road once in a while and roll 37" MT's with 3" wheel adapters to fill in the glass bedsides.
The bearings are still rolling with no sign of failing.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
For the little amount of off roading I do, I don't know if it's worth the price. I think I might just go with 4.10's, and save the other $500+.

Not sure yet tbh... More opinions?
you should get it. the spider gears in that OEM rear diff are ticking time bombs. they will fail eventually and when you least expect it or when you're in a financial crunch. when everyone here says get it, you should heed their advice. i've read of some diffs blowing up while going thru an intersection and stopping the titan in its tracks in the middle of the intersection. mine blew up as i was driving on an empty road. imagine driving on the freeway at high speed with cars on your 6 going 75+ mph and the diff grenading then. i'd go with the peace of mind knowing that OEM spider gear is out and replaced with something much better. there's my opinion.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you should get it. the spider gears in that OEM rear diff are ticking time bombs. they will fail eventually and when you least expect it or when you're in a financial crunch. when everyone here says get it, you should heed their advice. i've read of some diffs blowing up while going thru an intersection and stopping the titan in its tracks in the middle of the intersection. mine blew up as i was driving on an empty road. imagine driving on the freeway at high speed with cars on your 6 going 75+ mph and the diff grenading then. i'd go with the peace of mind knowing that OEM spider gear is out and replaced with something much better. there's my opinion.
Very true. I've had 2 blown seals already. I've got 59k miles, which means only 1k left on the powertrain.

I can get the gears, TT and mag-hytec diff. cover, installed for ~$1,400 otd. That includes taxes, parts, labor, everything.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Very true. I've had 2 blown seals already. I've got 59k miles, which means only 1k left on the powertrain.

I can get the gears, TT and mag-hytec diff. cover, installed for ~$1,400 otd. That includes taxes, parts, labor, everything.
Where at? AZ diff?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

contrary to what class8 2wd says, our stock axle is CRAP!!! my new one which i had replaced last xmas (25,000 miles ago) is/was leaking on the driver side like a stuck pig. least the diff is upgraded but still... its weak and the bearings and seals suck. best, if possible, to put that 1400 into a Dana 60 if you can. i can't wait to have a Dana 60 built.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
contrary to what class8 2wd says, our stock axle is CRAP!!! my new one which i had replaced last xmas (25,000 miles ago) is/was leaking on the driver side like a stuck pig. least the diff is upgraded but still... its weak and the bearings and seals suck. best, if possible, to put that 1400 into a Dana 60 if you can. i can't wait to have a Dana 60 built.
Correct me If I'm wrong but I don't think you ever broke your diff with the TrueTrac upgrade. Any diff can blow axle seals or pinion seal if the axle vent is not working properly. I was told by the last shop that worked on my diff that the bearing's are a strong design. I'm going to say that the axles are as strong as a D60, after all they do fit into a D60 carrier. So for most here, If you upgrade to a TrueTrac and make sure your axle vent is doing its job your good. If you plan on jumping or hitting the bumps hard, truss it or it will bend. I have not had any problems but a bent axle housing, sleeving and trussing the housing took care of that problem. no broken internals no leaky seals no failing bearings, no bent housing, rolling 37" MT's with 3" wheel adapter/spacers and only 12" of travel :eek: Guess I got a good one, the front bearings are fine too. Now if you have a 08 or newer axle there is no TrueTrac for you, Build a 35 spline D60 :teethmast there is no TrueTrac available for the 32 spline D60.
OLD FAITHFUL!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
the OEM axle is crap... end of story. my new one, not even 2 years old... leaking like a stuck pig. from those in the drivetrain industry i've talked to say our axle is weak and a poorly spec'd by Nissan. can't discredit all the failed axles, leaking axles, blown axles all titans have had.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last week when I blew another seal, they replaced the shaft as well because I've had so many problems. I don't see replacing the shaft as a permanent fix, much less a fix at all. Just a band aid for a couple thousand miles.

I will have enough $ to get 4.10's, TT and mag cover in 2-3 months.

Dana 60 would take a lot of convincing. Nate at AZ diff was very optimistic I won't have any problems after TT. He said he puts in higher quality parts (can't recall what exactly) in hopes to take care of the problem.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Nate at AZ diff was very optimistic I won't have any problems after TT. He said he puts in higher quality parts (can't recall what exactly) in hopes to take care of the problem.
many reputable diff shops will use better bearings and seals such as Timken bearings and seals over the Nissan OEM bearing and seal kit. solely cause its just flat out better.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
the OEM axle is crap... end of story. my new one, not even 2 years old... leaking like a stuck pig. from those in the drivetrain industry i've talked to say our axle is weak and a poorly spec'd by Nissan. can't discredit all the failed axles, leaking axles, blown axles all titans have had.
Just the facts and nothing but the facts please.
The majority of failed Diff's are from spider gears breaking.
The cause of axle seal leaking is a bad axle vent.
There are quite a few on Titan Talk that have installed a TrueTrac and performed the axle vent mod that do not have issues.
Including myself and some of the bracket racing guys.
Did you perform the axle vent mod on the replacement Diff ?
Titans are not the only vehicle that have had these issues.
Spider gears have a history of being a weak link as does a bad axle vent in several makes.
Make these two adjustments and the Titan/Dana 44 will live.
Just out of curiosity I will start a thread asking, how many that have done these mods have had issues afterward. That will be a good gauge.

I just had an axle seal replaced over the weekend and was surprised to find that there was NO AXLE VENT/BREATHER on my rear end housing, ANYWHERE. The firm that replaced the axle seal researched the web and came up with a Technical Service Bulletin from Nissan regarding the "Rear Final Drive Breather." In a nutshell, what has been happening is that when a failed differential was replaced by the local dealer, they were NOT removing the temporary plug and replacing it with the old axle breather. The Technical Service Bulletin was issued June 6, 2006. Since my 2004 Titan had the axle replaced in mid-2005, the bulletin had not even been issued yet. I drove roughly 40,000 miles on the replaced rear end with NO BREATHER before the one axle seal began to leak! Talk about a f_ _ _ up by Nissan! I have a copy of the TSB if anyone is interested in seeing it.....
Overheating/lack of ventilation may cause rear axle seals to leak : Nissan Titan Common Drive Train Problems : RepairPal

Rear axle leak due to plugged rear differential vent : Honda Passport Common Drive Train Problems : RepairPal

rear axle seal leaking - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Rear axle leak due to plugged rear differential vent : Isuzu Rodeo Common Drive Train Problems : RepairPal

99 4Runner Axle Seals Leaking [Archive] - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
My right rear axle seal went at 37K miles, but no more leaks for the last 81K miles. I still need to do the axle vent mod ... keep forgetting. :bangit: Maybe this week though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts