Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't want to lift my titan too much or run massive tires as I want to be able to tow easier and it is my daily driver an di have to fit in parking structures in Downtown LA from time to time. In fact I have only made it to glamis once because I keep borrowing my Dad's 3500 Dodge to pull the ToyHauler and not much point in spending an extra $60 to bring the titan.

I do however want to improve my suspension a bit, I'm considering doing the 4" lift SAW in the front, or maybe just go with this new 2" kit? I have the leveling kit right now and the front still sits lower than the rear (at least in the distance from tire to wheel wells.).
Would a 4 inch lift in the front look stupid with 33's? I'm thinking that with a 4 inch lift in the front the truck will be about level with the rear?

If I go with the2" inch Lift SAW's should I buy the upper controll arms? I already have my coil buckets grinded a little to clear (Upper arms were tapping them a bit with the 2" level kit on my 4x4.

Thanks.
Justin.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
I really don't want to lift my titan too much or run massive tires as I want to be able to tow easier and it is my daily driver an di have to fit in parking structures in Downtown LA from time to time. In fact I have only made it to glamis once because I keep borrowing my Dad's 3500 Dodge to pull the ToyHauler and not much point in spending an extra $60 to bring the titan.

I do however want to improve my suspension a bit, I'm considering doing the 4" lift SAW in the front, or maybe just go with this new 2" kit? I have the leveling kit right now and the front still sits lower than the rear (at least in the distance from tire to wheel wells.).
Would a 4 inch lift in the front look stupid with 33's? I'm thinking that with a 4 inch lift in the front the truck will be about level with the rear?

If I go with the2" inch Lift SAW's should I buy the upper controll arms? I already have my coil buckets grinded a little to clear (Upper arms were tapping them a bit with the 2" level kit on my 4x4.

Thanks.
Justin.
I have the PRG 4" Performance Package, with the 2.5" diameter Donahoe Racing, (DR), c.o. and PRG custom spacer, (not used with the SAWs). The DRs with the spacer and the 2.5" diameter SAWs both require aftermarket upper A-arms, the DRs used in their normal application, and the 2" diameter body Radflo don't need them.

Have it set for around 3", maybe a little less. My tires are the BFG AT KO LT285/70/17 which are 32.8" diameter.

If you click on my sig pic there are a few more shots, and also some with the DRs, before finishing the pkg. so no Total Chaos arms or PRG spacer. Those are set for 2" or maybe a little less, and I think there is a stock pic or two.

Sometimes I think I need 34s and a more aggressive tread like a Toyo MT, and other times the 33s seem fine, especially with some predicting $4/gal gas.
My 33" 58 lbs tires are way better at saving fuel than the 33.5" or 34" 75 lbs ones, but of course the 33" 43 lbs passenger rated REVOs are looking better and better.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just put new BFG Mud Terrains on 285,75,17's $226 to have them mounted balanced at discount + warranty (I lost 2 of the origionals in LA due to nails and other stuff and I think I had about 5 or 6 flats over the last 2 years so I'm hoping to cash in there haha)

I want a little liftage but not too much, it would be nice to still fit into most parking structures (not sure exactly how tall the truck would be at that point)

The parking in LA get ridiculous I go places I have had to back out of because my non lifted titan would not fit!

Also I'm not seeing a huge performance advantage to going 2 inches taller than 4 inches, and I don't want to have to replace gears if possible so stock or around stock size tires would be nice.

I'm sure I will still be able to offroad at the dez with a little manuvering :)

From your pics It woudl appear to be abotu level with a 4 inch kit on the front.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
Well I just put new BFG Mud Terrains on 285,75,17's $226 to have them mounted balanced at discount + warranty (I lost 2 of the origionals in LA due to nails and other stuff and I think I had about 5 or 6 flats over the last 2 years so I'm hoping to cash in there haha)

I want a little liftage but not too much, it would be nice to still fit into most parking structures (not sure exactly how tall the truck would be at that point)

The parking in LA get ridiculous I go places I have had to back out of because my non lifted titan would not fit!

Also I'm not seeing a huge performance advantage to going 2 inches taller than 4 inches, and I don't want to have to replace gears if possible so stock or around stock size tires would be nice.

I'm sure I will still be able to offroad at the dez with a little manuvering :)

From your pics It woudl appear to be abotu level with a 4 inch kit on the front.
I also got the Total Chaos Heavy Duty 3/4" lowering shackles from PRG. The 1" Deaver mini-pak on the O.R. pkg lifts the rear 1.5" so the rear is probably lifted 3/4" over stock.

There is more travel with the performance pkg, over the DRs alone. And SAWs can't be used on stock. Level kits are for looks only. So there's is definitely a huge performance advantage, for each step up from stock or leveled.

But if you meant by going more than 4" you're right, except for the 2wd, where adding the PRG spindle lift combined with most of the 4 " performance lift allow the leveling by the spindle and the c.o. to be set for best travel or ride. Kartman does that. Others just use the combination to milk more lift out of their Titan.

For the drop bracket kits, because in order to look good, IMO, they need 35s and aftermarket rims, plus the same quality of coilovers etc. from PRG. So one would have to spend at least $5k to even approach the performance of the 4" kits, and they have a higher center of gravity, maybe less ground clearance because of the bracket, are less quick, (at least until gears come out), worse gas mileage due to tire and rim weight, and can have parking issues as you mention. They look really good to me, but I wouldn't want one on my Titan.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
sounds like the new PRG UCAs + SAWs (non-lifted application) would be perfect for you, would give you an aggressive stance, not too high, but still very capable of both fitting everywhere around town in LA and running out in the desert a bit...........plus it would still look great w/33s, especially mudders.....

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
swarren1 said:
I also got the Total Chaos Heavy Duty 3/4" lowering shackles from PRG. The 1" Deaver mini-pak on the O.R. pkg lifts the rear 1.5" so the rear is probably lifted 3/4" over stock.

There is more travel with the performance pkg, over the DRs alone. And SAWs can't be used on stock. Level kits are for looks only. So there's is definitely a huge performance advantage, for each step up from stock or leveled.

But if you meant by going more than 4" you're right, except for the 2wd, where adding the PRG spindle lift combined with most of the 4 " performance lift allow the leveling by the spindle and the c.o. to be set for best travel or ride. Kartman does that. Others just use the combination to milk more lift out of their Titan.

For the drop bracket kits, because in order to look good, IMO, they need 35s and aftermarket rims, plus the same quality of coilovers etc. from PRG. So one would have to spend at least $5k to even approach the performance of the 4" kits, and they have a higher center of gravity, maybe less ground clearance because of the bracket, are less quick, (at least until gears come out), worse gas mileage due to tire and rim weight, and can have parking issues as you mention. They look really good to me, but I wouldn't want one on my Titan.
Wow a little over my head there!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SDTitan1 said:
sounds like the new PRG UCAs + SAWs (non-lifted application) would be perfect for you, would give you an aggressive stance, not too high, but still very capable of both fitting everywhere around town in LA and running out in the desert a bit...........plus it would still look great w/33s, especially mudders.....
Do you mean the 2" over stock SAW or the 4 inch? Maybe I'm a little confused as I don't understand alot of the terms used to describe the type of lift for trucks this would be my first real lift. All I know is I odn't want to have anything up on blocks.

swarren1 said:

Lowering Shackles lift the truck, or just to lower your lift? Sorry Not Understanding how they work :p

"The 1" Deaver mini-pak on the O.R. pkg lifts the rear 1.5" so the rear is probably lifted 3/4" over stock." I don't get it? Is it a 1.5 inch lift or 3/4th inch? I have an OR 4x4.

"And SAWs can't be used on stock" What about the new ones?

Are you guys both suggesting I go with the 4" SAW's and new UCAs or the 2" and stock arms? I know I will be limiting myself to get into some parking structures (My Antenna is hitting the clearance signs with just the leveling kit on and stock tires) but I really don't like driving in those places anyways. Is there a way to estimate my truck height easily? As it is I get worried when there is a Beam overhead and a speed bump on the floor parallel with it!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I mean the stock replacement SAWs (similar to the stock replacement DRs or RadFlos, which do not require aftermarket UCAs)..........with these you have to use an aftermarket UCAs...........eliminates need for leveling kit as it will level your truck out or go a little higher if you wish, plus a much better ride........

·
Registered
204 Posts
for a 4in suspension lift greg just recommended to me (yesterday) that i go with SWA coilovers and his new uca's for the frontend. he also said itll be like a night and day difference on the ride! since greg knows his stuff, id listen to him.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
Do you mean the 2" over stock SAW or the 4 inch? Maybe I'm a little confused as I don't understand alot of the terms used to describe the type of lift for trucks this would be my first real lift. All I know is I odn't want to have anything up on blocks.

Lowering Shackles lift the truck, or just to lower your lift? Sorry Not Understanding how they work :p

"The 1" Deaver mini-pak on the O.R. pkg lifts the rear 1.5" so the rear is probably lifted 3/4" over stock." I don't get it? Is it a 1.5 inch lift or 3/4th inch? I have an OR 4x4.

"And SAWs can't be used on stock" What about the new ones?

Are you guys both suggesting I go with the 4" SAW's and new UCAs or the 2" and stock arms? I know I will be limiting myself to get into some parking structures (My Antenna is hitting the clearance signs with just the leveling kit on and stock tires) but I really don't like driving in those places anyways. Is there a way to estimate my truck height easily? As it is I get worried when there is a Beam overhead and a speed bump on the floor parallel with it!
The 1" Deaver mini-pak will raise the rear ~1.5" on our O.R. Titans. So I had Greg install the Total Chaos HD lowering shackle to take away ~3/4" of the lift. So 1.5" - 0.75" = 0.75" total rear lift over stock.

The SAWs I'm talking about are the ones that come with the SAW version of the PRG 4" Performance Package. They require an aftermarket upper A-arm, which are around $550 for the Total Chaos brand, or around $600 for Greg's new ones.

The DR coilovers can be used without the upper A-arms on a stock Titan. However the amount of the lifting is pretty much the same as the level kits, 2" on a 4x4 and 2.5" on a 2wd.

But to allow for extra travel and lift the DR coilover version of the PRG 4" Performance Package uses the DR coilovers with a custom spacer and external bump stop. When used in this application the DRs do require the aftermarket upper A-arms. Around 3.5" lift for a 4x4 and 4" for a 2wd.
Btw, some people flip the hat and can get additional lift out of them. There's probably a thread around on this. I think it involves removing the spacer, flipping the DRs' top mounting piece upside down, grinding or cutting away part of the coil bucket from the truck. So if highest lift is the goal, the DRs are probably the better choice, and some say for better off road the the SAWs.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
swarren1 said:
The 1" Deaver mini-pak will raise the rear ~1.5" on our O.R. Titans. So I had Greg install the Total Chaos HD lowering shackle to take away ~3/4" of the lift. So 1.5" - 0.75" = 0.75" total rear lift over stock.

The SAWs I'm talking about are the ones that come with the SAW version of the PRG 4" Performance Package. They require an aftermarket upper A-arm, which are around $550 for the Total Chaos brand, or around $600 for Greg's new ones.

The DR coilovers can be used without the upper A-arms on a stock Titan. However the amount of the lifting is pretty much the same as the level kits, 2" on a 4x4 and 2.5" on a 2wd.

But to allow for extra travel and lift the DR coilover version of the PRG 4" Performance Package uses the DR coilovers with a custom spacer and external bump stop. When used in this application the DRs do require the aftermarket upper A-arms. Around 3.5" lift for a 4x4 and 4" for a 2wd.
Btw, some people flip the hat and can get additional lift out of them. There's probably a thread around on this. I think it involves removing the spacer, flipping the DRs' top mounting piece upside down, grinding or cutting away part of the coil bucket from the truck. So if highest lift is the goal, the DRs are probably the better choice, and some say for better off road the the SAWs.
Any pictures of the SAW shocks for the 3-4" lift?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
Any pictures of the SAW shocks for the 3-4" lift?
Kartman runs them. He has a video of their articulation link to somewhere. Hooligan just got them too. They both have the spindles for 2wd as well.

Video linked at this thread:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-pictures-media-post/50057-coilover-cam-new-vid.html

Close-up of his SAWs when they were brand new ... unmounted and mounted:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-pictures-media-post/42752-buna.html

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Justintoxicated said:

Justin,

You need to spend that $60 and drive your truck out to Glamis. You're missing a good time out in the sand!

Get the Radflos or Sway-A-Ways (whickever fits a non-bracket lifted truck) first and remove the level kit, then add Greg's new upper control arm when funds allow, finally add the Deaver hydrid leaf pack and new shocks in the rear. When you're done you'll have a truck ready for the dunes!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ptgarcia said:
Justin,

You need to spend that $60 and drive your truck out to Glamis. You're missing a good time out in the sand!

Get the Radflos or Sway-A-Ways (whickever fits a non-bracket lifted truck) first and remove the level kit, then add Greg's new upper control arm when funds allow, finally add the Deaver hydrid leaf pack and new shocks in the rear. When you're done you'll have a truck ready for the dunes!
Ok :) Getting the SAW's and upper arms and some DRE rear shocks, Greg said I don't need the Deaver Leaf in the rear since I have a 4x4 and the springs are already decent (I think thats what he ment). I have to remind myself that 99% of my driving is on-road so not to go too overboard, those videos were impressive!

Even if I brought my truck I would not get too crazy in it thats what the Banshee is for. Plus I'm going to stroke it and get some aftermarket cylinders for it soon :) Will go alot faster than the truck can out there! And if it brakes I can still drive home and to work on monday.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
Yea I'm swinging by Gregs this weekend Maybe I can get some pics of them installed :)
you going Saturday or Sunday? a couple guys and myself are going up Sunday, getting UCAs myself!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SDTitan1 said:
you going Saturday or Sunday? a couple guys and myself are going up Sunday, getting UCAs myself!
Saterday morning is the plan as of now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts