Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will get right to the point.

I bought my T used in Jan. 11 from a private party. 05' 75k on it, seemed to be a pretty solid truck when I bought it. Soon after (within 2 weeks) started to smell coolant and soon saw drops on the ground. Against my own best judgement I decided to take it to the dealer because honestly I dont have the time to fix it myself. Truth be told I used to turn wrenches professionally, however have since found a nice paying desk job and have a 2 year old little boy that takes up most of my time now a days.

Dealer called and said it was the radiator, gave me two options, OEM for close to $1,000 or go aftermarket (which they suggested and said they do alot since OEM is so much money) for $500 and change.

They replaced the radiator with the aftermarket unit, I picked it up and no more than 2 weeks later I started to see drops on the ground. Immediately took it back to the dealer, they were very apologetic and said that it was a faulty "porous" radiator and replaced at no charge under a parts warranty.

Had the truck back for about 3 weeks, all seemed to be good, washed it one day, popped the hood to dry the jambs and noticed some dried up coolant around that cap area and some spray back on to the intake tube. Cleaned it up and monitored it for a couple days, popped the hood a few days later, coolant everywhere... Back to the dealer it went.

This time I started asking questions and making suggestions that maybe there was an underlying problem causing the radiator to blow and be the weak link. They came back saying that it was yet again ANOTHER "porous" radiator. Replaced it again under a parts warranty at no charge.

Regrettably took the truck home and have been driving it back and forth to work and around town but dont trust it to last, this time we made from March 24th to April 7th before yet again more coolant leaking.

It is back at the dealer as of last night, no phone call yet from my advisor to tell me what is wrong or if its another radiator (yeah right)...

Ideas? Thoughts? Is the factory radiator that big of weak link that I need to put a Stillen unit in it? I am willing to spend the money but really want to know what the actual cause of the problem is. I suggested a possible stuck thermostat but they haven't said anything yet.

Any feedback is appreciated, I am too the point now that if they cant fix it this time I will diagnose it and fix it myself however I hate to be out $$ that I spent with them originally if they didn't fix the problem correctly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah I cant even get the guy to call me - I have to call him EVERY TIME its in there. I told him yesterday when I dropped it off that he needs to consult the shop foreman and/or the service director and actually fix it.

They frickin suck.

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
I will get right to the point.

I bought my T used in Jan. 11 from a private party. 05' 75k on it, seemed to be a pretty solid truck when I bought it. Soon after (within 2 weeks) started to smell coolant and soon saw drops on the ground. Against my own best judgement I decided to take it to the dealer because honestly I dont have the time to fix it myself. Truth be told I used to turn wrenches professionally, however have since found a nice paying desk job and have a 2 year old little boy that takes up most of my time now a days.

Dealer called and said it was the radiator, gave me two options, OEM for close to $1,000 or go aftermarket (which they suggested and said they do alot since OEM is so much money) for $500 and change.

They replaced the radiator with the aftermarket unit, I picked it up and no more than 2 weeks later I started to see drops on the ground. Immediately took it back to the dealer, they were very apologetic and said that it was a faulty "porous" radiator and replaced at no charge under a parts warranty.

Had the truck back for about 3 weeks, all seemed to be good, washed it one day, popped the hood to dry the jambs and noticed some dried up coolant around that cap area and some spray back on to the intake tube. Cleaned it up and monitored it for a couple days, popped the hood a few days later, coolant everywhere... Back to the dealer it went.

This time I started asking questions and making suggestions that maybe there was an underlying problem causing the radiator to blow and be the weak link. They came back saying that it was yet again ANOTHER "porous" radiator. Replaced it again under a parts warranty at no charge.

Regrettably took the truck home and have been driving it back and forth to work and around town but dont trust it to last, this time we made from March 24th to April 7th before yet again more coolant leaking.

It is back at the dealer as of last night, no phone call yet from my advisor to tell me what is wrong or if its another radiator (yeah right)...

Ideas? Thoughts? Is the factory radiator that big of weak link that I need to put a Stillen unit in it? I am willing to spend the money but really want to know what the actual cause of the problem is. I suggested a possible stuck thermostat but they haven't said anything yet.

Any feedback is appreciated, I am too the point now that if they cant fix it this time I will diagnose it and fix it myself however I hate to be out $$ that I spent with them originally if they didn't fix the problem correctly.

My thoughts? Quit taking it to the dealer that can't fix a radiator. Try a new radiator cap first. They are problematic. If that doesn't work, bite the bullet. It will cost a few bucks to get this right but write off what you've done at the dealer. Put in a good radiator without plastic tanks. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...-stillen-radiator-not-me-got-way-cheaper.html Install it yourself or take it to a shop and have them install it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed Quartz.

Got truck back today, once again I had to call them, they never call me. Today its the radiator cap(s). I responded with letting them know that the main cap is less then 10 days old and was bought from their parts dept. They then said that the plastic one on the overflow tank was cracked causing the leak. (Im calling bull but we will see).

No charge invoice, they conveniently changed my address on file so I wont be getting one of the satisfaction surveys. Along with that the body of the invoice has no diagnosis, repair, parts charged out etc.

Absolutely un-acceptable, MY truck will NEVER go back there.

For all of you in greater Phoenix area, stay away from Pinnacle Nissan in North Scottsdale, they are frickin Morons.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just an FYI, the cap on the overflow tank is the pressure relieve cap, hence the overflow tank is pressurized and part of the coolant loop. The cap on the actual radiator is just a fill cap, no pressure relief spring on the bottom, just a cap with a rubber seal.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Turn their asses in to the state attorney generals office, or the bureau of automotive repair (or similar in your state). Last time I had a mis diagnosis at the dealer resulting in the replacement of parts that were not needed, I turned them in and wrote a letter to the CEO, the Service manager, the GM of the dealership in question, etc. I then filed a dispute with my credit card company. When all was said and done the dealership never challenged my credit card dispute and sent me a check for $350 to replace an aftermarket part that they said was causing the issue, obviously it was not.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I had the issue with coolant spraying all over my engine too. At first, I bought a 350Z spring loaded cap (which worked) but I read on this forum that the spring loaded caps will cause the rad to fail. So, I took my original Titan rad cap, bent the tabs in a bit, and I no longer have the coolant all over my engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts