Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I heard the new e-locks have 4 spider gears to prevent them from failing. And the old ones like mine only have 2 :(

Is there some way to add 2 more spider gears? I remember some years ago when I did the 4 spider gear mod on my Savage (RC Car) and you jsut dropped in 2 more spider gears) Probably not as easy on a real truck so sorry for the stupid question...

Am I just screwed and have to live with a poorly designed diff?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I am uneducated when it comes to diffs, but from my understanding, even if you could do it, I'm not certain you could get the parts to do it?

I'm sure someone can clarify.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
Yeah, I think that is correct. If you could buy or scrounge the parts, assuming everything else is the same, you might be able to just swap the carrier w/spiders, but that is going to involve a gear shop to do the work.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
Since you have a 4x4 with the e-lock, the easiest thing to do is get the dealer to replace the entire rear axle assembly under warranty, with the new 4-spider design.

To go to a TrueTrac, you lose your e-locker. The TrueTrac is better for on the street use, as it is smooth and automatic in operation and works automatically in 2WD, 4HI and 4LO. The e-locker is a bit better for hard core off-road use, and works only in 4LO and must be engaged by the switch. You can replace the e-locker with a True-Trac, but I think you need to replace one of the axle shafts (I think Austin posted about machining the splines a litle longer on one of the shafts) as the e-locker axle shafts are of different lengths. So by the time you have all of that done in a shop, it will run into some $.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how can I wear out my rear end safely before I run out of warranty? With my luck it will break at 67k... And I'm serious! I hate worrying about this stuff.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would like to know the answer to that too. I have read WAY too many threads about the rear ends going out on our trucks. I have 52K miles and am worried it will fail on me as soon as the warranty runs out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts