Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, 4wd is gone! we got lots of snow today and i was out and about. on my way back home i was in 4wd plowing through some drifts in the neighborhood and i heard a decent pop come from the front end. i ended up making it back home and tried to get the 4wd to engage but no luck. i don't have any fluid on the ground so i don't think the diff exploded. i'll try and get it in the garage after a little while and see what i can figure out.
hopefully my Nissan ext. warranty doesn't give me any crap...

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I remember when my first front diff went out... Oh wait, that was last week, and it detonated as opposed to just breaking the gears. Lol, hopefully you have better luck than I did. I found a replacement front diff the other day so I should be back on my feet soon!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You typically have to plow through the drifts in reverse to detonate the diff. Forward will usually only eject the half shafts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
King- hopefully my warranty covers it all!
Bestatchess- i was real careful about only pulling people out in Drive! i've read all the stories of the failures while in reverse... it just surprises me that it popped when i was driving straight forward... must have just been it's time!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
You typically have to plow through the drifts in reverse to detonate the diff. Forward will usually only eject the half shafts.
Ain't that the truth...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check your front axles, im positive you will find either side has popped out of your front diff, do your best to get it back in asap and if you can I would reccomend you replace your fluid.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check your front axles, im positive you will find either side has popped out of your front diff, do your best to get it back in asap and if you can I would reccomend you replace your fluid.
Too late now! Dealer has it. I was told by the service Rep that it was my t-case ..
I Coulda swore the pop came from the pass front... oh well, whatever the prob they said it was covered under my ext warranty.

·
Registered
146 Posts
as long as its coverd by warrenty the dealership is the best place for it, because if it keeps messing up its there problem not yours lol and I know all about the inner workings of a dealership beeing a tech at one. lol goodluck bro.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, that's what i'm thinking too... they can replace whatever they want as long as i don't have to pay for it!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
truck is supposed to be done today! looks like it was the front diff after all. the service rep i talked to at first must have just gotten confused when he told me they were replacing the t-case. the diff is supposed to come in on a truck today.
we got a decent amount of snow today so hopefully the parts truck made it! i'm ready have it back!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
id be itching for it back too lol, im intrested in hearing what the dealership did to resolve the issue. goodluck man.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
This wouldn't be happening on another truck. I see 1/2 tons plowing in both directions all the time where I live.

Why did Nissan give us cheap front and rear differentials?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
id be itching for it back too lol, im intrested in hearing what the dealership did to resolve the issue. goodluck man.
hopefully i get it today. it seems like us Oklahomans can't make it to work when there's 5" of snow on the ground. only 3 techs showed up to the dealer yesterday and the one doing my truck wasn't 1 of them! from what i was told a couple days ago, they're replacing the whole front diff assembly... we'll see.

This wouldn't be happening on another truck. I see 1/2 tons plowing in both directions all the time where I live.

Why did Nissan give us cheap front and rear differentials?
it doesn't make any sense! i'm kinda scared to get my truck out in some 4wd situations where there's a decent amount of traction. how's it gonna hold up trying to crawl up a dirt hill or something like that where the tires don't slip that much? i mean, if it'll shell itself going in a straight line through 8-10" of snow what's it gonna do in those conditions?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got her back today!
new front diff. 1700 bucks that i didn't have to shell out! thank the Lord we got the ext. warranty!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts